Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I think a large number of restaurants have got rid of any dress code requirements and whilst I may choose to dress up for a nice meal out, I have never been turned away in jeans and a hoodie either. Same with most bars and similar. Again, outside of many outmoded clubs in London and the bigger cities, there are very few with any sort of dress requirement.

Totally agree that it is 100% the choice of the establishment as to their rules, and that very much includes golf clubs but that does not preclude them being stuck n the past and any establishment that judges and individual by what they wear, unless it is some form of uniform, does remain stuck in the past.

A lot of them have “smart casual” down the say no sports wear

We have a couple in the area

But most will wear appropriate clothing for the event or place imo

Jeans are 99% of the time classed as smart casual - maybe at things like a wedding etc you wouldn’t wear them

But jeans can be very smart and most clubs allow them - ripped jeans , prob viewed by a number as a little different

PaulMdj

Visit site
TBH, if I was organising the day I would check and inform those attending what is expected, that way would avoid any problems on the day.

If someone else is arranging I’d hope they would put something out.

Just as Richart did for the H4H day last week.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll generally default to a pair of chinos and a clean pair of trainers (if allowed) in most places.

Let's be real on one thing though, ripped jeans are the preserve of late 20/early 30's guys trying to preserve the last bastions of their youth.

The yoof nowadays are all joggers and crocs (or so I witnessed crossing London t'other day).

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there has been a massive relaxation of dress codes over the past 5 or 10 years. Our place still wants white socks with shorts and shirts tucked in on course - shirts out fine in the bar. And trainers and "smart" jeans are fine in teh clubhouse - ie not ripped jeans, which i can't imagine most people would think are acceptable in clubhouses anyway. Smilarly, no football tops

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just as an aside - do people in other sports such as football, rugby and cricket moan at what they have to wear or is it just golf?

You can turn up in pretty much anything to play football. Only when your part of a team do you wear a "kit" sometimes even just bibs. Or just a shirt with your own shorts

To turn up to play you just turn up in pretty much whatever

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can turn up in pretty much anything to play football. Only when your part of a team do you wear a "kit" sometimes even just bibs. Or just a shirt with your own shorts

To turn up to play you just turn up in pretty much whatever

and being in a team would equate to playing properly on a full golf course, rather than down the driving range or on a pitch and put. I always had to wear football gear at school, cubs, uni etc. Golf has to be much cheaper than most other sports to have acceptable gear as you can get a primark pollo shirt and normal trousers

Red devil

Visit site
there has been a massive relaxation of dress codes over the past 5 or 10 years. Our place still wants white socks with shorts and shirts tucked in on course - shirts out fine in the bar. And trainers and "smart" jeans are fine in teh clubhouse - ie not ripped jeans, which i can't imagine most people would think are acceptable in clubhouses anyway. Smilarly, no football tops
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me

RichA

Visit site
just as an aside - do people in other sports such as football, rugby and cricket moan at what they have to wear or is it just golf?
The football, rugby and cricket clubs I've been involved with have all found sportswear to be acceptable clothing for practice and social events at the club.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and being in a team would equate to playing properly on a full golf course, rather than down the driving range or on a pitch and put. I always had to wear football gear at school, cubs, uni etc. Golf has to be much cheaper than most other sports to have acceptable gear as you can get a primark pollo shirt and normal trousers

A Sunday league team you can get just matching shirts that's it. Some can play in joggers. Some in their own shirts and such. It's not a requirement to all play in exactly the same

I wouldn't say it's equal to playing on a golf course

Maybe if you were playing in a proper event like a tournament yes that's like joining a league

But a knock about with your mates is a kick about at the park

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Folks, the subject of dress code has, in the past, caused arguments on these pages, some of which have got out of hand.

Let’s not allow this one to go the same way please.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I always check an away dress code and would abide by their wishes. However, I won't play courses that require ties, jackets etc unless I really want to play there.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Out of hand, were knickers twisted? That would contravene all manner of dress code

Not sure if said knickers were being worn correctly in the first place, or indeed at all, so difficult to answer that one with any degree of certainty 😇

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right I think I have got this.

Ripped plus fours/twos with a T shirt, [ aka collarless golf shirt] with hob nailed boots [proper golf shoes in my grandpas time] will fit within some clubs dress codes so long as they wear white socks with a jacket and tie.