Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

JayB

Visit site
Never have and hopefully never will play at a club that expects anything other than regular golf attire. Only one club I've been to actually list on their website the length and colour of socks if wearing shorts but I've never seen it enforced.

sjw

Visit site
Honestly, hardly. I'll just wear golf clothes. I was technically meant to have my shirt tucked in at Puttenham but totally forgot, and I'll give you one guess as to how many people commented.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Never have and hopefully never will play at a club that expects anything other than regular golf attire. Only one club I've been to actually list on their website the length and colour of socks if wearing shorts but I've never seen it enforced.

To confirm it’s not just about what is worn on the golf course because 99% of clubs are the same - wear appropriate golf clothing which covers everything

It’s also what’s acceptable in the club after

Jeans ? Yes or no
Trainers allowed or not

Etc

sjw

Visit site
Most of the time I don't need to because I'll turn up and play in normal golf attire that will pass any dress code.
The only exceptions are long socks with shorts or a jacket and tie rule and the majority of clubs don't have them anymore
These days, to be honest, I'm unlikely to come across such rules as they will be enforced at expensive clubs where I probably won't want to pay their prices

Couldn't have put it better myself

JayB

Visit site
To confirm it’s not just about what is worn on the golf course because 99% of clubs are the same - wear appropriate golf clothing which covers everything

It’s also what’s acceptable in the club after

Jeans ? Yes or no
Trainers allowed or not

Etc
I would wear golf attire to a golf club, I'll change out of my golf shoes(in the car park) into trainers to go into the clubhouse, if what I'm wearing isn't suitable I wouldn't be at that club anyway.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I would wear golf attire to a golf club, I'll change out of my golf shoes(in the car park) into trainers to go into the clubhouse, if what I'm wearing isn't suitable I wouldn't be at that club anyway.

That’s the main crux of the question- would people check that they could wear trainers in the clubhouse for example

RichA

Visit site
Check the dress code and choose an outfit that meets it, while hopefully triggering somebody who worries about what other people wear to play recreational sport and drink coffee. Simple.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cannot remember the last time I played elsewhere.

However I am a traditionalist when it comes to golf attire so did not feel the need to bother.

White socks forever :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just looked up our dress code out of interest..

"All golfers must wear golf shoes, shirts with collar or polo neck. Purpose made collarless golf shirts are allowed. Golf shorts or tailored shorts with sports socks of any length are allowed.

Clothing not allowed on the golf course include:

Denim jeans
Track suits, football or rugby shirts
Shorts other than tailored shorts
Any shoe other than a golf shoe"

I've broken the last one when I accidentally forgot to change my shoes and played in trainers .. noticed half way down the first (fog delay was eager to get out)

I've seen cargo shorts out there and that's about it lol 😂

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a do check, but only because i am an habitual shorts wearer. though saying that Scotland has far less strict dress codes than many English clubs. i can only think of two clubs now that had any sort of rules and that was Royal Aberdeen, where you couldn't wear shorts until recently and Elie who made you wear long socks with shorts. im not sure if they still do that though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our golf clubhouse is open to everybody so we do not have one for in there with one exception - no golf shoes in the club regardless of style.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Took this from my clubs website

On the course - Members and Visitors are asked to wear appropriate golf clothing and golf shoes which respects the general standards of this sport. Juniors may wear trainers or other sports shoes suitable for golf.

Some examples of inappropriate clothing can be seen below:

• Gym gear, other sports tops or shorts including track suits
  • Cargo trousers or shorts
  • Clothing with non-golfing logos eg rock bands, football clubs
  • Caps/hats worn any way except peak forwards

In the Clubhouse we accept smart, clean casual clothing, but ask you to leave your waterproof clothing, golf shoes and hats in the locker rooms.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s the main crux of the question- would people check that they could wear trainers in the clubhouse for example
I wear trainers after playing, the mesh type. Perfect for taking care of your feet after 18 holes. Most places don't blink and I don't check most places. Many will say no trainers but don't enforce it, just no one has bothered to update things. Back to my original post, if I am going to a club that I know is likely to be funny about trainers then I will check and I will take other casual shoes instead. Still casual, boat shoes they call them, and not really much different to trainers but there you go 🤷‍♀️ . So 95% of the time, I don't check because I think most of us can gauge which clubs will and will not be funny about these things.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I check if it’s a high profile course that I haven’t played and if I plan to wear shorts but let’s be honest, we all know general dress codes for clubs and stick to them.

Unfortunately, some believe that they are above them and dress as if they are going for a casual pint with the lads.

There are consistent no no’s with most clubs (stressed/faded/ripped denim) as an example yet again some go against it even though it’s the norm.

Re the long socks debate, I’m starting to think there is some merit in it. This summer and last summer I got gifted some very nice insect bites always on the ankles while wearing shorts and ankle socks. Had I been wearing longer socks the buggers wouldn’t have got me.

Last edited: