Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I wear trainers after playing, the mesh type. Perfect for taking care of your feet after 18 holes. Most places don't blink and I don't check most places. Many will say no trainers but don't enforce it, just no one has bothered to update things. Back to my original post, if I am going to a club that I know is likely to be funny about trainers then I will check and I will take other casual shoes instead. Still casual, boat shoes they call them, and not really much different to trainers but there you go 🤷‍♀️ . So 95% of the time, I don't check because I think most of us can gauge which clubs will and will not be funny about these things.

Think that’s just common sense , most clubs are allowing trainers now but with a club that you think may not allow them a quick check confirm it’s

It’s the same with jeans - most clubs allow jeans now , ( again apart from that small number ) but make stipulate smart clean no rips etc

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s the main crux of the question- would people check that they could wear trainers in the clubhouse for example

I admit this is one rule I generally break (trainers pre round) but they are always plain black, clean and virtually new. But if staying for a meal/food/presentation would always wear shoes.

I've seen cargo shorts out there and that's about it lol 😂

Ironically cargo shorts for golf would be practical. Imagine a smart part of golf shorts with a pocket on the thigh for score cards, perfect!

Unfortunately once “ golf cargos “ are allowed, it would be abused and you’d end up with tradesman coming straight from work in dewalt cargos, rather like the smart jeans being changed to rip jeans.

Who decides if ripped jeans are smart? Like most rules people push boundaries… and they know it!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a do check, but only because i am an habitual shorts wearer. though saying that Scotland has far less strict dress codes than many English clubs. i can only think of two clubs now that had any sort of rules and that was Royal Aberdeen, where you couldn't wear shorts until recently and Elie who made you wear long socks with shorts. im not sure if they still do that though.
Luffness is still a long socks and jacket shirt & tie after 10am venue.

3 jabber

Visit site
Think that’s just common sense , most clubs are allowing trainers now but with a club that you think may not allow them a quick check confirm it’s

It’s the same with jeans - most clubs allow jeans now , ( again apart from that small number ) but make stipulate smart clean no rips etc
Seriously would anyone wear ripped jeans in a clubhouse? 😳

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Always check, primarily to see what socks are required with shorts. I tend to wear trainer socks, and I know not all clubs allow them, many preferring ankle socks. If it’s knee length only (no clubs round these parts are that archaic) then I’ll wear trousers.

As for the rest of the dress code I always tend to wear clothing which adheres without the need to check, so the only real need to have a look relates to what is acceptable in the clubhouse.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
But why in 2024? Golf is SO stuck in the past. The future of the game might depend heavily on it losing the stuffy attitude.
Why ? Because that’s what they decide

There are many restaurants and establishments that won’t allow ripped jeans

Their choice at the end of the day

I don’t see the need to wear jeans with a hole in them personally

Don’t see it as being stuck in the past

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually I wouldn't bother. 99% of golf club's dress codes are exactly the same - practically word for word. I wear golf clothing including white socks each time so I have no concerns about not meeting the typical club's dress code.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why ? Because that’s what they decide

There are many restaurants and establishments that won’t allow ripped jeans

Their choice at the end of the day

I don’t see the need to wear jeans with a hole in them personally

Don’t see it as being stuck in the past

I think a large number of restaurants have got rid of any dress code requirements and whilst I may choose to dress up for a nice meal out, I have never been turned away in jeans and a hoodie either. Same with most bars and similar. Again, outside of many outmoded clubs in London and the bigger cities, there are very few with any sort of dress requirement.

Totally agree that it is 100% the choice of the establishment as to their rules, and that very much includes golf clubs but that does not preclude them being stuck n the past and any establishment that judges and individual by what they wear, unless it is some form of uniform, does remain stuck in the past.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've genuinely never been to a restaurant with a dress code. I wouldn't even think of checking to see if they had one.

Maybe I just haven't been to a posh enough one 🤷‍♂️

D-S

Visit site
If I think it’s a stuffy club then I probably will, only really if I am intending to wear shorts and would hate to give members the vapours by allowing them a glimpse of my ankle or, heaven forfend, my calf.
Having said that I can’t remember ever checking a restaurant or hotel dress code, with one exception. That is the Greenbrier in West Virginia, where they have a strangely detailed dress code that is the subject of hundreds of negative reviews. Stunning place though.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's course that I'm not familiar with then I'll have a brief check to see if there is anything unusual on the dress code menu but most of what I'm likely to turn up in won't cause offence 98% of the time.

The odd shirt or pair of shorts might raise an eyebrow at some places...hence I always have a quick check.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear trainers after playing, the mesh type. Perfect for taking care of your feet after 18 holes. Most places don't blink and I don't check most places. Many will say no trainers but don't enforce it, just no one has bothered to update things. Back to my original post, if I am going to a club that I know is likely to be funny about trainers then I will check and I will take other casual shoes instead. Still casual, boat shoes they call them, and not really much different to trainers but there you go 🤷‍♀️ . So 95% of the time, I don't check because I think most of us can gauge which clubs will and will not be funny about these things.
This is what I find as well. A bit strange to say no trainers when the majority of golf shoes are essentially trainers now, but it was likely written over 50 years ago and never updated. Same with them saying no denim or whatever - although I basically never change after an away round anyway so not a concern at all. Generally just a quick drink or two then get in the car and go.