Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Morfeen75

Visit site
Why does it matter to you? I genuinely don't care what other people wear, I don't understand why it vexes some people.
It doesnt vex me, i just have an opinion. Its neither right or wrong. Personally i take pride in my appearance, it's not unreasonable to expect others to do the same.

Ripped jeans and joggers have no place on a golf course or in a members clubhouse.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesnt vex me, i just have an opinion. Its neither right or wrong. Personally i take pride in my appearance, it's not unreasonable to expect others to do the same.

Ripped jeans and joggers have no place on a golf course or in a members clubhouse.
Who says they don't though? A nice pair of ripped jeans by Levis for example cost a bit of money and look perfectly smart and presentable in some people's perception. It's probably quite an outdated viewpoint that some people link them to tradesmen and the like that weren't welcomed in clubhouses in years gone by.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who says they don't though? A nice pair of ripped jeans by Levis for example cost a bit of money and look perfectly smart and presentable in some people's perception. It's probably quite an outdated viewpoint that some people link them to tradesmen and the like that weren't welcomed in clubhouses in years gone by.

Ouch, hook line and sinker there mate 🎣 🤣

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Fashion - always a subjective call , what one person believes is smart is different for others

Ripped jeans are fashion and certainly current and many see them as smart

and some of them are very very expensive

It’s simple for me - as long as it’s clean then I don’t really care

Morfeen75

Visit site
Who says they don't though? A nice pair of ripped jeans by Levis for example cost a bit of money and look perfectly smart and presentable in some people's perception. It's probably quite an outdated viewpoint that some people link them to tradesman and the like that weren't welcomed in clubhouses in years gone by.
A nice pair of ripped jeans..........oh please, You'll be telling me dirty scruffy footwear is fashionable next. I could point you to many expensive outfits made by any top designer and they will never look smart and presentable on any person ever.
Every tradesman that i know or know of at the golf club has never turned up wearing ripped jeans so i cant comment on your suggested outdated viewpoint.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fashion - always a subjective call , what one person believes is smart is different for others

Ripped jeans are fashion and certainly current and many see them as smart

and some of them are very very expensive

It’s simple for me - as long as it’s clean then I don’t really care
I think it's fair to say you often see a generational divide on a lot of these issues. Some people of older generations think that wearing hats indoors, jeans with rips in them, not having your shirt tucked in are either rude, or untidy / not smart. Whereas other people of younger generations don't understand these notions as they've become lost over time. I see wearing a hat or not wearing a hat as completely indifferent. As you say there, jeans can be smart with rips in or without, it's indifferent. All these threads often seem to boil down to the era and atmosphere you were brought up in really.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A nice pair of ripped jeans..........oh please, You'll be telling me dirty scruffy footwear is fashionable next. I could point you to many expensive outfits made by any top designer and they will never look smart and presentable on any person ever.
Every tradesman that i know or know of at the golf club has never turned up wearing ripped jeans so i cant comment on your suggested outdated viewpoint.
As you said yourself further up the page - that is simply your opinion. Not shared by everybody.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I think it's fair to say you often see a generational divide on a lot of these issues. Some people of older generations think that wearing hats indoors, jeans with rips in them, not having your shirt tucked in are either rude, or untidy / not smart. Whereas other people of younger generations don't understand these notions as they've become lost over time. I see wearing a hat or not wearing a hat as completely indifferent. As you say there, jeans can be smart with rips in or without, it's indifferent. All these threads often seem to boil down to the era and atmosphere you were brought up in really.

Fashion etc changes

But respect will never change - and regardless of people’s beliefs or opinions then it’s just respect to follow the rules set aside

If someone wants to change the rules of whah is allowed or not then there will always be a process in place

We stated very clearly to those that didn’t like our change of rules to put something into the AGM - and then the majority decide so we had the trainers and jeans etc and majority voted about them

Golf and lots of sports do take their time keeping up but a lot of the time it’s the OEMs that will be the front runner for fashion changes and the clubs ( most of them ) will adjust as they go along

Dress codes have changed a lot in clubs now

And most of the time someone wearing short socks , joggers , hoodies etc will look smarter than someone in 20 year old Farahs and M&S polo

But the line stops at black socks with shorts - should be immediately executed by sniper

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fashion etc changes

But respect will never change - and regardless of people’s beliefs or opinions then it’s just respect to follow the rules set aside

If someone wants to change the rules of whah is allowed or not then there will always be a process in place

We stated very clearly to those that didn’t like our change of rules to put something into the AGM - and then the majority decide so we had the trainers and jeans etc and majority voted about them...........
This is maybe part of the whole golf club problem

Submitting a proposal for discussion at some point in future at an annual general meeting to then be voted on by a membership with a binding result…. About whether its ok to have a golf shirt untucked/hat indoors!

It does seem a bit out of sync in terms of scale don’t you think

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
This is maybe part of the whole golf club problem

Submitting a proposal for discussion at some point in future at an annual general meeting to then be voted on by a membership with a binding result…. About whether its ok to have a golf shirt untucked/hat indoors!

It does seem a bit out of sync in terms of scale don’t you think

That’s the working way of a members club and it will be within the constitution etc

There will be some things that the “committee” can deal with and make changes etc

And there will be some things that need to be decided at an AGM etc

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As someone said up the page, for me it’s about respect.

Respect to the club and its rules.

Respect to organiser of the day.

Respect to the reason for the day.

Respect to the serviceman / women present and their past commitment to service and the price the paid.

Respect to the founder of the day at its start up.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I really don’t care about jeans in the Clubhouse, I do care if they are dirty or smelly, but that’s the same with any item of clothing.

Ripped anything is not smart in any circumstances and never will be, they have been intentionally damaged and the marketing people have sucked you in, in the name of fashion.🤣

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Respect to the serviceman / women present and their past commitment to service and the price the paid.

Respect to the founder of the day at its start up.

Although I admire the sentiment I’d also hope the organisers respect that not everyone dresses the same and other fashion options do exist in this world.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Respect to the founder of the day at its start

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although I admire the sentiment I’d also hope the organisers respect that not everyone dresses the same and other fashion options do exist in this world.

i have been on dozens off away days to courses and events and always respect the dress code.

Most of the time ift is common sense - i would always expect tailored shorts with white socks above the ankle and shirts tucked in to be the norm - and that is no hardship.

I cannot stand the long sock rule - it is the one that grates the most but happy to put them on and pull them up if the course demands it - i haven't had to use them for years now as most places have changed this rule over the last 15 years but always keep a pair in the boot.

The Jacket and tie, or often just jacket now for lunch, can also seem a pain but everytime you do it at Swinley, Sunningdale, RSG, The Berkshire etc, it sort of feels right and actually adds to the special nature of the day so i am fine.

In the clubhouse, jeans of the not ripped/ dirty variety are becoming much more accepted at most clubs i know, along with trainers so not sure how people can moan here

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have been on dozens off away days to courses and events and always respect the dress code.

Most of the time ift is common sense - i would always expect tailored shorts with white socks above the ankle and shirts tucked in to be the norm - and that is no hardship.

I cannot stand the long sock rule - it is the one that grates the most but happy to put them on and pull them up if the course demands it - i haven't had to use them for years now as most places have changed this rule over the last 15 years but always keep a pair in the boot.

The Jacket and tie, or often just jacket now for lunch, can also seem a pain but everytime you do it at Swinley, Sunningdale, RSG, The Berkshire etc, it sort of feels right and actually adds to the special nature of the day so i am fine.

In the clubhouse, jeans of the not ripped/ dirty variety are becoming much more accepted at most clubs i know, along with trainers so not sure how people can moan here

White socks?
Wow, I had green ankle socks on last weekend for a mini forum meet, fortunately for me it got cancelled last minute, saved me a few funny looks 🤣