Dress code in an AGM?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been to one wedding in 15 years, I don't go to funerals, worked in my job for 20+ years and never need a jacket for it. Neither I nor customers bother with them now 🤷.

I don't find it at all strange that people wouldn't have one. Different people............
You don’t go to funerals?
That is a helluva lot stranger than not owning a jacket!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I

I’m with Oddsocks on this one, I would of thought most men from aged mid 20’s upwards will have attended a wedding or a funeral or even a job interview and would at least own a Jacket or a Suit.

Modern times you don't require suits or jackets for majority of things.

My mates wedding next month I won't be wearing a jacket or a tie. She has requested just trousers and shirts.

Only suit I got is for funerals. Even my uncle came out with he doesn't have a suit anymore which surprised me a lot.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Modern times you don't require suits or jackets for majority of things.

My mates wedding next month I won't be wearing a jacket or a tie. She has requested just trousers and shirts.

Only suit I got is for funerals. Even my uncle came out with he doesn't have a suit anymore which surprised me a lot.
So another Yes then.👍🏻

PaulMdj

Visit site
Only bought the suit when my wife's nan died. Wouldn't have it otherwise. Why would I need it
As I’ve said, I have no issue with anyone not wanting to wear a jacket & tie or a suit, but unfortunately or fortunately, there is a time in life when wearing a jacket & tie or a suit is required, so I believe most men on reaching a certain point in life will own said garments, even if they no longer fit or they wish to wear them.

If your mate had requested jacket & tie at her wedding, would you of considered buying a new jacket or thought about wearing your suit?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I’ve said, I have no issue with anyone not wanting to wear a jacket & tie or a suit, but unfortunately or fortunately, there is a time in life when wearing a jacket & tie or a suit is required, so I believe most men on reaching a certain point in life will own said garments, even if they no longer fit or they wish to wear them.

If your made had requested jacket & tie at her wedding, would you of considered buying a new jacket or thought about wearing your suit?

No, the days of requirement for men to wear suits to weddings (unless part of the wedding party) are long gone.

Mandofred

Visit site
There are a number of etiquette routines I don't follow because they don't make any sense to me.
-I tend not to take my hat off when shaking hands at the end, I'm not trying to be disrespectful....just no point to it.
-Shaking hands can get carried away by itself....when I first joined a club in 2015 I was in a group that all stopped to shake hands 3 times in the last 4 holes. The match was officially over by the 15th so they all shook hands. The back nine was lost shortly after, so they all shook hands. Then the finish so they all shook hands.
-Then there is the almost comical (to me) of having to mumble "good shot" when other people are hitting their drives. It doesn't really matter where the shot goes, somebody still says "good shot". I don't mind saying "good shot" if it IS a good shot....not just because you made contact with the ball....although for some that might be a good thing :)
-A guy I played with at my first club decided to bow to each other instead of shaking hands at the end....we kept doing it, but it never caught on.

Each generation tends to change etiquette from the earlier generation. Some insist on trying to keep things the same forever. When you look back on how things have been changing in golf the last 10-15 years....it's actually been happening fairly quickly.....relatively speaking.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If your mate had requested jacket & tie at her wedding, would you of considered buying a new jacket or thought about wearing your suit?

Based on some responses to this thread, some actually wouldn’t go to the wedding if they had to wear a jacket & tie.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Based on some responses to this thread, some actually wouldn’t go to the wedding if they had to wear a jacket & tie.
I didn't go to my sister in laws wedding but that was more a case that I loathe her and she feels the same - didn't feel right in my own head to sit in a church and give my blessing so chose not to attend at all. Would happily have put a suit on had she and I had a modicum of respect for each other. Fortunately she is now in San Diego

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You don’t go to funerals?
That is a helluva lot stranger than not owning a jacket!
Ha ha, this is probably a thread on it's own. Never been to a good funeral yet, hateful things. Last one I was at I said to myself that I would not go to another, why put myself through it 🤷‍♂️. Some people find funerals cathartic, I find them the opposite. I've 'not gone' to 2 since then.

I have some older relatives, mid eighties and above, who will inevitably die in the coming years. I've had the chat with their kids, my cousins, and none of them flickered, none of them said they would be offended. It's a weight off my shoulders knowing I won't be expected to go (after all, most people don't want to go to them, it's social pressure / a pavlovian response that does it)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ha ha, this is probably a thread on it's own. Never been to a good funeral yet, hateful things. Last one I was at I said to myself that I would not go to another, why put myself through it 🤷‍♂️. Some people find funerals cathartic, I find them the opposite. I've 'not gone' to 2 since then.

I have some older relatives, mid eighties and above, who will inevitably die in the coming years. I've had the chat with their kids, my cousins, and none of them flickered, none of them said they would be offended. It's a weight off my shoulders knowing I won't be expected to go (after all, most people don't want to go to them, it's social pressure / a pavlovian response that does it)

I’m planning on not going to my own funeral.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ha ha, this is probably a thread on it's own. Never been to a good funeral yet, hateful things. Last one I was at I said to myself that I would not go to another, why put myself through it 🤷‍♂️. Some people find funerals cathartic, I find them the opposite.

I would rather go to the wake alone and raise a glass to the departed person rather than sit through the whole service. I'm like you I don't "enjoy" them and definitely don't find them cathartic but a realisation that my time is coming quicker than I sometimes care to like

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would rather go to the wake alone and raise a glass to the departed person rather than sit through the whole service. I'm like you I don't "enjoy" them and definitely don't find them cathartic but a realisation that my time is coming quicker than I sometimes care to like
I can do the same, raise a glass, at home or wherever. I respect anyone's choice on this but I think it is important that people do have a choice and are not simply pressured into doing something they have no wish to.

Interestingly, we are seeing more people have the Pure style of cremation now, basically no service, no ceremony, they deal with the cremation as a process. No actual funeral. My MiL had one, my FiL is surrounded by older people in his cul de sac who are steadily dropping away and the most recent one had the same. In both instances, they had family, it was their choice to go down this route.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This thread has meandered off track, but shows some interesting behavioural traits😁😁

If a club doesn't insist on jacket and tie most of the time, to insist on it for the AGM seems a bit silly.

I went to my mum's funeral because, to not go, would be unthinkable. Wether or not I would enjoy it wasn't even a consideration. But times change, maybe my reles won't come to my funeral because something more enjoyable is in the calendar 🤣🤣