Dress code in an AGM?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I

I’m with Oddsocks on this one, I would of thought most men from aged mid 20’s upwards will have attended a wedding or a funeral or even a job interview and would at least own a Jacket or a Suit.
I've been to one wedding in 15 years, I don't go to funerals, worked in my job for 20+ years and never need a jacket for it. Neither I nor customers bother with them now 🤷.

I don't find it at all strange that people wouldn't have one. Different people............

Grizzly

Visit site
I was asked to wear a jacket at a local club recently - not a particularly high class course. I told them the only one I owned was my dress uniform, and they did NOT want me to turn up in that. Common sense won over.

D-S

Visit site
Last time I wore a jacket and tie to theClub was when I delivered the Annual Report at the AGM, which included reading out the names of the members who had died in the previous 12 months. As Chairman I had considered not wearing a jacket and tie but only out of respect for this part of the report, I elected to wear a jacket and the Club tie.

I would never have dreamt of banning anyone from attending because of what they were wearing or countenacing any suggestion along those lines.

This was and is the last time I would wear a jacket and tie at my Club.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last time I wore a jacket and tie to theClub was when I delivered the Annual Report at the AGM, which included reading out the names of the members who had died in the previous 12 months. As Chairman I had considered not wearing a jacket and tie but only out of respect for this part of the report, I elected to wear a jacket and the Club tie.

I would never have dreamt of banning anyone from attending because of what they were wearing or countenacing any suggestion along those lines.

This was and is the last time I would wear a jacket and tie at my Club.

This is key for me. You wouldn’t have dreamt of banning someone for not wearing J&T however you chose to wear one out of respect.

Respect of the club, its rules and the environment in which you were in. Bravo sir 👏👏

D-S

Visit site
This is key for me. You wouldn’t have dreamt of banning someone for not wearing J&T however you chose to wear one out of respect.

Respect of the club, its rules and the environment in which you were in. Bravo sir 👏👏
Just a small correction, it was out of respect for the deceased (whose names I was about to read out) not the club, certainly not the rules (there weren’t any dress code rules in place for the AGM) and certainly not for the environment, which as a normal club house didn’t/doesn’t engender the need for formal attire to my way of thinking.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I've been to one wedding in 15 years, I don't go to funerals, worked in my job for 20+ years and never need a jacket for it. Neither I nor customers bother with them now 🤷.

I don't find it at all strange that people wouldn't have one. Different people............
Do you seriously not own a jacket or a suit?

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't know why people have trouble understanding that some people just have no need to have a jacket/tie. I'm not positive one way or another about myself.....I know I had one 5? years or so ago, haven't seen it since. If a person wants to wear one.....and go to places like ritzy restaurants, or dress up for funerals....I've no problem with them wanting to do so. ANY place that requires me to wear a jacket/tie I will avoid. I also have no intention of going to the opera......or, or, or..... There are all kinds of things I've thrown out over the years because I no longer had need for it. I wouldn't keep a jacket/tie just in case some year something might inspire me to put it on....if that was the case I'd never get rid of anything.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't own a suit. That won't change at this point.

I have one jacket that my wife made me buy for an event about 5yrs ago. I was going to borrow a friend's but she said I had to get my own. I think I've worn it twice since. Had she not nagged I still wouldn't have one 😄.

My point on this has really been that I don't find it a surprise if people don't own one. Under my own steam, I wouldn't. Even then, the one I have largely sits gathering dust.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For those who find themselves ‘sans jacket’ when one is required…even on the day there will be a charity shop close by that will provide one for just a few quids. And if you don’t want to keep it, then just give it back. Simples.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I certainly don't own a jacket or a suit that I would be happy to wear at an occasion which is what we are talking about folk attending. However, I certainly have a very acceptable 'Smart Casual' that I would be happy to wear. This 'dressy up stuff' is just an incredible hangup from years ago.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those who find themselves ‘sans jacket’ when one is required…even on the day there will be a charity shop close by that will provide one for just a few quids. And if you don’t want to keep it, then just give it back. Simples.
Oh yeah let's just turn up in any old second-hand stuff just to keep a few out of date wasicks happy... NO... & again NO!!

PaulMdj

Visit site
I certainly don't own a jacket or a suit that I would be happy to wear at an occasion which is what we are talking about folk attending. However, I certainly have a very acceptable 'Smart Casual' that I would be happy to wear. This 'dressy up stuff' is just an incredible hangup from years ago.
So that’s a Yes then. 😂😂

PaulMdj

Visit site
I don't own a suit. That won't change at this point.

I have one jacket that my wife made me buy for an event about 5yrs ago. I was going to borrow a friend's but she said I had to get my own. I think I've worn it twice since. Had she not nagged I still wouldn't have one 😄.

My point on this has really been that I don't find it a surprise if people don't own one. Under my own steam, I wouldn't. Even then, the one I have largely sits gathering dust.
I have no issue whatsoever with people not wanting to wear a jacket & tie.

I just thought blokes of a certain age😇 would own one by default.

Mandofred

Visit site
But then again.....there are hoarders out there. We are almost ready to sell our house to one of my wife's sons....we've emptied out all the storage areas (loft+shed).....the sons wife brought over a plastic box that still had her school uniform in it from 30 years ago.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Used to wear suits, ties to work 20 years ago
I have a shirt/tie now but no suit or jacket

Last golf agm I wore golf shirt, shorts and sliders and I was one of the better dressed

D-S

Visit site
This sums up for me the ridiculousness of these dress codes.

Just go and buy and wear any threadbare, mismatched, ill fitting. old attire and, as long as those garments are what we like, you are acceptable to us, irrespective of how they make you look or feel.

Wearing a set of hurriedly bought potentially wrong sized, outdated, clashing clothes is certainly not showing anyrespect, indeed it could be seen as exactly the opposite.

However, if you make an effort and wear the attire you might have on to go out to the best restaurant in town or when you are sincerely trying to look your best, get out you are not allowed in, you don’t conform to what another generation harks back to.

It’s just sad and the sooner such things and attitudes are a thing of the past the better