Dress code in an AGM?

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I know that feeling buddy.

My personal opinion i agree theres no real need for jacket and ties but the members and committes of clubs,mine included, disagree. So i either adhere to it or leave. Its really that simple

Every club has a dress code that memebers prior to signing up, agree to adhere to. There can be no complaints.

If you want to make the dress code changes at your club, buy a shirt,tie, jacket and maybe apply to join the committee and put some effort in to propose changes.

I am on a committee, not one that decides dress code for the AGM tho! There is a movement towards loosening restrictions slightly, I have no doubt we will get there, we are a good club.

The AGM is different to more 'traditional' restrictions IMO. Members clubs should represent members - even those that neither have or want a jacket. There should be no hoops to jump through for members to have their say at an AGM. If dress restrictions must apply then other means should be used to inform membership of issues to be voted on and allow their input.

I'm absolutely in favour of dress codes per se - there should be acceptable standards of dress and agree that members sign up for that as part of the club. But jacket & tie at the AGM? That smacks of wanting to exclude certain demographics or sections of membership.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The dress code in the club house does not require a jacket and tie. Ever. So we’re in a situation where there is a requirement just to attend a meeting - held in the same clubhouse. It’s crazy.
Yes.... I was thinking whether the meeting would be in a room that has a j & t rule after a certain time...... also unnecessary in this day & age..... Also I'm trying to think what Teeside Club would still have such a rule..... Seaton?

D-S

Visit site
Thinking outside the box, perhaps it’s a positive discrimination move with the intent of getting a higher % of women attending than otherwise would be the case. 😉

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The only ones being excluded are those choosing to exclude themselves.

Are they? Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. I’ve been retired 7 years now. I think I might have a shirt, at least 8 years old of questionable quality, although the Spanish shrink moths might have been at it. I doubt my only jacket, even older, would pass muster, and I’d need to buy a tie.

I would exclude myself by refusing to buy any of the above to wear once a year. So who loses out? Me, for not going? Or the club for having a stipulation that has no bearing on what I might be able to offer? And that’s the stupidity of it. If a club has a rule, irrespective if it’s dress code, that stops the club from benefiting from member’s opinions, it’s stupid.

3 jabber

Visit site
Are they? Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. I’ve been retired 7 years now. I think I might have a shirt, at least 8 years old of questionable quality, although the Spanish shrink moths might have been at it. I doubt my only jacket, even older, would pass muster, and I’d need to buy a tie.

I would exclude myself by refusing to buy any of the above to wear once a year. So who loses out? Me, for not going? Or the club for having a stipulation that has no bearing on what I might be able to offer? And that’s the stupidity of it. If a club has a rule, irrespective if it’s dress code, that stops the club from benefiting from member’s opinions, it’s stupid.
I agree it is a stupid rule but the members agreed to them when they joined. And the purpose of AGMs is to make changes so now is their opportunity to propose a change. If they don't put on a J&T and attend then they can only blame themselves for not attempting to change the rules.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing devils advocate on the matter.

I can see some benefit or merit in respect of ‘all are equal’ in a members club in having as much uniformity of dress as possible in such as an AGM…and a jacket and tie worn by all suggests or gives a nod towards uniformity and equality. That is unless I wear my MCC or Guards tie…😉

That said IIRC I chose to wear jacket and tie at my clubs last AGM a couple of months back…and yes…I did get some comments as to why I had bothered.🙄

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing devils advocate on the matter.

I can see some benefit or merit in respect of ‘all are equal’ in a members club in having as much uniformity of dress as possible in such as an AGM…and a jacket and tie worn by all suggests or gives a nod towards uniformity and equality. That is unless I wear my MCC or Guards tie…😉

That said IIRC I chose to wear jacket and tie at my clubs last AGM a couple of months back…and yes…I did get some comments as to why I had bothered.🙄
Not like you to play devil’s advocate. 🤨🤣

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I chose to wear jacket and tie at my clubs last AGM
And this is how it should be...a choice.
If you want to wear Black Tie...go ahead......if you want to wear a J&T...feel free
If you want to turn up as if you're about to tee off...Great...
AGMs should be about participation, getting bums on seats to debate enhancements to the club's well being...
It shouldn't be about what people wear

Mandofred

Visit site
And this is how it should be...a choice.
If you want to wear Black Tie...go ahead......if you want to wear a J&T...feel free
If you want to turn up as if you're about to tee off...Great...
AGMs should be about participation, getting bums on seats to debate enhancements to the club's well being...
It shouldn't be about what people wear
And then I TRY to explain to the guys I play with that you don't NEED to play from the white tees. But their ego won't let them play from the yellows.....same thing here. Old farts insisting things stay the same as it was in 1845....or 1974.....or insert your year. As I've said before.....golfers hate change....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And then I TRY to explain to the guys I play with that you don't NEED to play from the white tees. But their ego won't let them play from the yellows.....same thing here. Old farts insisting things stay the same as it was in 1845....or 1974.....or insert your year. As I've said before.....golfers hate change....

You only have to look at the whs thread, or leaving the flag in debate to see plenty of examples

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What is the dress code for this club normally. If it doesn't need a jacket and tie in the clubhouse after a certain time (and these do still exist) then it smacks of a way of discriminating against members attending by introducing a nonsense rule. We have an AGM and have and EGM coming this week to approve some of the local articles in our constitution that have been amended and both will be as per the clubs clubhouse dress rules so jeans will be permitted

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I agree it is a stupid rule but the members agreed to them when they joined. And the purpose of AGMs is to make changes so now is their opportunity to propose a change. If they don't put on a J&T and attend then they can only blame themselves for not attempting to change the rules.

That sounds like hiding behind a rule that is stupid. I have no problem with dress codes, nor respecting the member’s choices in supporting those rules. But an EGM is usually an important time sensitive issue, and only one issue. I’d hope a club would be sensible about letting members in, irrespective of a rule.