Dress code in an AGM?

LizAig

Visit site
So many people complaining about the dress code but then admit they’d never attend anyway and don’t play any role in the golf club mainly because it’s just the old boys that do…..well, if you don’t go to AGMs and speak up then nothing will change. If you don’t volunteer to stand on committee or get involved in other ways then things will never change! if you really want to change things then get involved - change doesn’t happen overnight - it takes a while and a lot of effort!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you don’t volunteer to stand on committee or get involved in other ways then things will never change! if you really want to change things then get involved - change doesn’t happen overnight - it takes a while and a lot of effort!
Judging by some of the “can’t be arsed“ and “me” posts on this forum (not just this thread btw) it would seem that the words in bold may be alien to to many members.

D

Deleted member 1147

So many people complaining about the dress code but then admit they’d never attend anyway and don’t play any role in the golf club mainly because it’s just the old boys that do…..well, if you don’t go to AGMs and speak up then nothing will change. If you don’t volunteer to stand on committee or get involved in other ways then things will never change! if you really want to change things then get involved - change doesn’t happen overnight - it takes a while and a lot of effort!

I was at the Rugby club the other week, and they had a sign up saying "before you moan, when was the last time you volunteered". I liked that and have since joined a committee at the golf club

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was at the Rugby club the other week, and they had a sign up saying "before you moan, when was the last time you volunteered". I liked that and have since joined a committee at the golf club
Thats the way to do it. Each year I act as a mentor for a Gents Academy member - and take mixed groups out in the little academy Texas scrambles. And one reason I do this is to help new golfers integrate into the club, but also to help them understand the rules and etiquette. So often I hear members moaning about newbies not knowing rules or etiquette - but what do they do to help…well usually two words…

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I get what you are saying. However, one should also accept that most club golfers have very good reasons not to volunteer. Often, they simply do not have the time, or they want to stay away from the politics because, simply put, many people don't enjoy that side of things. They just want to keep golf as a hobby, rather than being distracted or burdened by politics or a workload they would not otherwise have had.

Conversely, you could point towards those currently on the Committee, and ask them do they want to attract new blood into that Committee? If so, they should try and determine whether the environment they create is inviting to members who might consider joining, or does it put members off? I don't think it should have to take someone to officially volunteer their services before being able to tell the Committee what they are doing is wrong, and this and that needs to change. The Committee are there to represent the golfers at the club. They should be able to gather feedback from regular interactions with members on a day to day basis, maybe provide channels for members to give feedback and dealing with it constructively.

I don't know about this individual club. Perhaps members are generally very happy that these sorts of meetings require jacket and tie? If so, I can see why that is a requirement. However, if that is not the general feeling, have the current Committee been made aware of this, or do they suspect it? Have they had to turn members away before for not having a jacket? Or, are they oblivious to it? ir, are they aware of it, but don't care too much because that is what they've always done?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh, I just assumed that all clubs were able to do proxy voting. Can you not do postal votes then either?

As far as I understand the law, if the club is a Limited Company, all share holders (members in this case) have to be given an opportunity to vote whether or not they are in attendeance at an AGM or EGM.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is me in full tin foil hat, conspiracy theory mode but the requirement to wear a jacket and time for an AGM seems to me an attempt to ensure that the important decisions are made by those established at the club who want to maintain their own agenda. Even in the most traditional of business environments, a jacket and tie is still rarely required. Even the legal practice I work in has relaxed the requirement for a tie now and they are as about as traditional as you get. Many people I know work in some high end environements and have never owned a jacket and tie in their life.

Fully accept the volunteering if you want change but I have seen the club establishment change that to ensure that it suited them. Committee meetings moved to late afternoon just after the great and the good of the club's invite only roll up (yes a roll up by invite only). For many people working, the idea of a meeting before about 7.30 to allow time to get home, change and have something to eat, is not possible.

In my opinion, if clubs want maximum involvement, they should be removing as many barriers to attend rather than putting more in place.

Still, just me I suppose. If I wanted to attend the AGM, and I often did, I would follow the rules and turn up in my work gear plus the emergency tie I keep in the car.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So far haven’t we heard of just one club that has this antiquated rule? If so, aren’t they the exception that proves the rule that clubs have moved on?
Seems a bit harsh to vilify thousands of well meaning volunteers on this basis.

Yep. We have several folk on here who don't like golf!:whistle:

I got our agm notice today. Its very clear about smart casual. (Normal clubhouse attire)

Now, do I wear jacket and tie to upset the subversives, or go scruffy to upset the old farts?:unsure:

NearHull

Visit site

simply adding a ‘like’ is not enough - all of the above in spades!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some mentioned "volunteering for committee". Is it not the case at most clubs where you get on the committee by being asked by a committee member?

LizAig

Visit site
Some mentioned "volunteering for committee". Is it not the case at most clubs where you get on the committee by being asked by a committee member?
Not at our club or others around me - in most cases it’s hard to get people on committee so yes, the current committee may go around asking people but volunteers are much preferred as it’s hard work trying to convince people you know aren’t really interested!