Dress code in an AGM?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Question: If a member wished to attend the AGM to flag their objection to having to wear a jacket at the AGM, would they have to wear a jacket to do so?

And if a motion was raised to remove the requirement, would it only be those present voting on it?:ROFLMAO:

Clubs either want to engage with their membership or they don't.

A balance between tradition and modernisation isn't always easy to get.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We dropped our dress code for presentations etc some years ago.

However we still have 'jackets required' for Senior's matches for some clubs.

Albo

Visit site
I’ve never been to an AGM at a club, not sure I ever plan on doing so, but 100% wouldn’t if it were J&T.
I don’t even have to wear jacket and or tie or even a shirt for my office work anymore, I used to when I first started out.
Golf clubs enforcing rules the work places have even started to relax appears very behind the times

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and as for membership of any golf club…don’t join if you really don‘t like any of it’s rules and practices…or if you do join then work with others in the club of the same mindset to bring around change. If your view has reasonably wide support within the membership - not necessarily a majority - and you make a good case, then you have a good chance of succeeding.

As it happens our AGM is also our main trophy presentation evening and, just speaking personally, I think it’s rather nice for folk to be smartly dressed for a special occasion. If you don’t think the club AGM and Presentation Evening is a special enough occasion then fine, it’s of course every individuals prerogative to make that call.

If my clubs membership decided to abandon J&T at our AGM, and it will in time, if not next year then not too distant future, I shan’t be despairing about falling standards and loss of tradition.

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds like an old boys club making rules up to make sure it stays that way. They know the only people who will turn up with that dress code in place are the people they want there.

Next year table a motion to have the archaic dress codes rules changed.

To be honest. I also find the concept of an AGM antiquated. If I have an issue I feed back on it there and then and we get monthly update online on course development etc.

We have AGMs still but I don’t see the point of stewing on loads of issues just to list them off once a year to the same people you talk to at the club anyway.

I can always find the time to knock on the owners office door and she will always take time for her members. I guess we’re lucky.

Springveldt

Visit site
Question: If a member wished to attend the AGM to flag their objection to having to wear a jacket at the AGM, would they have to wear a jacket to do so?
I was thinking the same thing. Since the AGM is usually in the clubhouse, what if a member wanted to pop in for a quick pint but wasn't wearing a jacket but met the clubhouse dress code, would he be told to leave his own clubhouse?

Swango1980

Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. Since the AGM is usually in the clubhouse, what if a member wanted to pop in for a quick pint but wasn't wearing a jacket but met the clubhouse dress code, would he be told to leave his own clubhouse?
Is the AGM in the main area of the clubhouse, or in a private room?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
…and as for membership of any golf club…don’t join if you really don‘t like any of it’s rules and practices…or if you do join then work with others in the club of the same mindset to bring around change. If your view has reasonably wide support within the membership - not necessarily a majority - and you make a good case, then you have a good chance of succeeding.

As it happens our AGM is also our main trophy presentation evening and, just speaking personally, I think it’s rather nice for folk to be smartly dressed for a special occasion. If you don’t think the club AGM and Presentation Evening is a special enough occasion then fine, it’s of course every individuals prerogative to make that call.

If my clubs membership decided to abandon J&T at our AGM, and it will in time, if not next year then not too distant future, I shan’t be despairing about falling standards and loss of tradition.

Thats fine, but you cant then claim you are keen to move with the times as well.........

(Sure weve been here before)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Made me smile a little. In our county league, when I started in about 2006, it was dinner afterwards with jacket and tie. Could not take your jacket off unless Captain did. However, over a decade ago, jacket and tie was ditched, and you just had dinner in your golf gear. So much better, and definitely less hassle.

I expect if your club are keen to move with the times, they are at least a decade behind already :)
In my admittedly limited recent experience of more 'traditional' members golf clubs, I don't think that we are. Maybe in respect of wearing a J&T prteferred for AGMs, but otherwise I consider us to be fairly forward thinking and acting club.

D

Deleted member 31467

We just have the normal clubhouse dress code for the agm. Club officials wear J&T though which I think is appropriate.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My club is incorporated under the various Companies Acts. One of the requirements is that a AGM is held. I'm pretty sure that barring members from attending, except for a legitimate reason, would be against the law & would render any votes taken at the AGM as invalid. Members are entitled to vote. Unless the Articles of Association specify jackets & ties all members must be admitted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
why such reverence for an AGM?

A pretty boring, run of the mill meeting where not a lot happened.

approve minutes
elect chairperson
elect other officer
sign off on finance
aob

why in god's name would I be expected to dress up for that
Our Gents and Ladies AGMs and Presentations have a different Agenda to the above, which is pretty much the Agenda of the Club (Company) AGM, the two types of AGM having quite different focus and purpose.