Dress code in an AGM?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I took the opportunity this evening to just check whether or not our AGM is still J&T as I missed this years.

And would you credit it…we are not. Normal clubhouse dress code applies. As indicated earlier, though I was OK with it being J&T and rather liked it when it was, I am perfectly happy that we have moved with the times, as I knew we would, just didn’t know that we already had 🙄. I think my confusion is down to the fact that many members, myself included, wear J&T even though it’s not required…or even preferred.

So…apologies to all for providing duff info about dress code for my club’s AGM.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Antiquated. I'm anti dress code anyway, clean is enough, but for an agm 😳, it's plain laughable. I've always gone to club agms but I wouldn't if jackets were needed. Ridiculous and pompous.
HERE, HERE .... what on earth are they hoping to achieve by such out-of-date requirements??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a strange one, that I hadn’t really given any thought to, since I had no intention of attending. However, I’ve just seen the report. 33 (well below 5%) members were in attendance. Looking at those elected, they accounted for more than 50% of those in attendance. It feels like another little club within a club.
That tells you all you need to know. They don't want lots of members attending, they just want the same old boys to turn up and vote in whatever they want without being challenged. Next time you should hire 50 jackets and volunteer to stand on the door handing them out to anyone who wants to attend. 😂

I've no idea what our club's dress code is for AGMs as I've not been, but I'd be surprised if it's not the same as the regular clubhouse dress code.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Denim isn't appropriate for golf for a different reason imo - it's far too permeable to wind!

Surely it’s for the person wearing the denim to decide? Wearing jeans is no different to wearing chinos.
HERE, HERE .... what on earth are they hoping to achieve by such out-of-date requirements??

They are running an old boys club and probably clinging on to the last threads of what they think are power and control in an otherwise meaningless existence.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anything goes at ours. Jeans, T-shirts and flip flops have been seen before. The only ones in a J&T are the committee members and the wannabe committee members up for election. I’m sure for some it is a chance of an extra night out away from HID to have a couple of ales.

Shep2

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely it’s for the person wearing the denim to decide? Wearing jeans is no different to wearing chinos.
Indeed, to each their own! I simply dislike getting cold legs while playing. Same probably applies to chinos, which I avoid too - possibly simply from unfamiliarity! If it's hot, tailored shorts!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

They are running an old boys club and probably clinging on to the last threads of what they think are power and control in an otherwise meaningless existence.

Harsh. 😲

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That tells you all you need to know. They don't want lots of members attending, they just want the same old boys to turn up and vote in whatever they want without being challenged. Next time you should hire 50 jackets and volunteer to stand on the door handing them out to anyone who wants to attend. 😂

I've no idea what our club's dress code is for AGMs as I've not been, but I'd be surprised if it's not the same as the regular clubhouse dress code.

For a Ltd company members club you can do proxy voting or send vote to the accountant beforehand. You do not need to be at the AGM. However, would imagine that a large proportion don't read the AGM stuff or vote anyway:rolleyes:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5% is a criminally low turnout, and one could (if one were so inclined) insist on a quorum of at least 34% in order for the AGM to be validated. If they are truly for the club, they will agree. And the only way to increase attendance is to relax dress rules, have it at a sensible time and even permit remote viewing (but I would insist that those attending remotely were in “view only” mode - if you want your voice to be heard you need to be physically in the room. Else these things descend quickly).

My suspicion is they will deny said change to the rules, the question then is “do you want the club to be run for the membership or by your cronies?”

We all know the answer.