The future of golf clubs ??

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think my old club have it right. a comp lasts from sunrise to sunset. Anyone can book a tee time any time and go play. You can land to the club and chances are you will get out without a problem as long as it isn't early doors sat or sun.

Closing off tees for hours due to comps is just pointless imho. I've landed to lee park hoping to get 9 holes in to be told id have to wait till 11. That was over an hour wait and the first 3 holes were clear.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think my old club have it right. a comp lasts from sunrise to sunset. Anyone can book a tee time any time and go play. You can land to the club and chances are you will get out without a problem as long as it isn't early doors sat or sun.

Closing off tees for hours due to comps is just pointless imho. I've landed to lee park hoping to get 9 holes in to be told id have to wait till 11. That was over an hour wait and the first 3 holes were clear.

I could see that being a struggle if you are a single and don't know anyone?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Bit like the yanks.....

drive on the parkway and park on the driveway :rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the norm is to be able to turn up & go straight out it sounds like there's a lot of empty tee slots going to waste on the non-comp weekends, you know a booking system would allow the club to fill these with visitor green fees! :)

We have booked tee times in the morning but you can roll up at a later time and enter the comp (as a three or four ball) and go out from there. We don't allow visitors unless as a member's guest at weekends anyway so a tee time is academic. In short, times aren't going to waste!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a slightly related note, I've just popped up to a golf club I'm thinking of joining in the new year. Their big selling point was that they keep the member numbers relatively low so that they don't have to have a booking system. They actively promote the "rock up and play" system. Plenty of roll ups and a decent social scene (if you're that way inclined).. Of course, their is a drawback, jacket and tie in the Dinner room after 6... Hmmmm...:D

D

Deleted Member 1156

On a slightly related note, I've just popped up to a golf club I'm thinking of joining in the new year. Their big selling point was that they keep the member numbers relatively low so that they don't have to have a booking system. They actively promote the "rock up and play" system. Plenty of roll ups and a decent social scene (if you're that way inclined).. Of course, their is a drawback, jacket and tie in the Dinner room after 6... Hmmmm...:D

Sounds good to me! They have standards but they are not OTT. To be honest, how often are you likely to be in the dining room after 6pm anyway? I'm guessing you can still have bar food in the lounge?

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Which one Danny?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds good to me! They have standards but they are not OTT. To be honest, how often are you likely to be in the dining room after 6pm anyway? I'm guessing you can still have bar food in the lounge?

Yeah, food available in the bar... Really liked it to be honest. The clubhouse is a small stately home with a moat :D

Which one Danny?

Wigan Golf Club at Arley (http://www.wigangolfclub.co.uk/).. It used to be the Club that you could only get in if you knew the secret handshake.. A bit more open now. I know one of the board members so getting in should be relatively easy.. It all depends on my usual PP. If he wants to move then we'll move. If not, then I've got a decision to make..

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
that chap who once broke his leg have owt to do with that place - I know you have a soft spot for him...:D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
that chap who once broke his leg have owt to do with that place - I know you have a soft spot for him...:D

Got it in one mate. He's been a member for a while. I think he actually payed for the back 9 to be built. Not sure how much he plays now, but I know Prince Andrew is an honorary member and has played it twice...:D