The future of golf clubs ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How do you know for certain it wouldn't be better? My question was if it was proven better what would the members say?

As I said to Hawkeye in my previous post, the question is hypothetical, your club runs fine with what you have, i get that but curious to a response to my question thats all.

What part of this is SO difficult. How do you prove it would be better and what part of the membership already having voted no seems to make you think they want it. Why introduce something universally unpopular that I have no doubt would drive some members away. How can you possibly quantify what does or doesn't work better. Exactly how would you prove it

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know you did, relax FFS. I was merely asking a hypothetical question which would have led me onto another point.

But the question has already been asked, the members said no. We don't want it and don't need it, can we not just accept that everyone has their own preference and move on?

G

guest100718

Booking systems are important for us car park members, we need to be able to get from the car to the tee without wasting any time. I wopuldnt want to have to loiter in the car park for half an hour... it only takes so long to put on my shoes and put up my trolley. (i put my waterproofs on at home to save time)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a slight tangent, for the Clubs that don't run a tee booking system, but allow society golf access on any given day. How do you know when the tee is booked for a visiting party? The reason I ask is that at my last club, the only notification was via a large board outside the Pro Shop. You could also ring the Pro and ask, but getting through could sometimes take forever. If for some reason I hadn't been to the Club for a week or so, I could easily turn up and find 20-30 part time golfers tearing up the chipping area and dropping fag ends all over the course (massive generalization I know :D.)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On a slight tangent, for the Clubs that don't run a tee booking system, but allow society golf access on any given day. How do you know when the tee is booked for a visiting party? The reason I ask is that at my last club, the only notification was via a large board outside the Pro Shop. You could also ring the Pro and ask, but getting through could sometimes take forever. If for some reason I hadn't been to the Club for a week or so, I could easily turn up and find 20-30 part time golfers tearing up the chipping area and dropping fag ends all over the course (massive generalization I know :D.)

At RAGC, There's a board by locker room which shows when there are societies/club matches and a calendar on the website. It isn't difficult.

G

guest100718

Last time out with a society, we had the tee booked from 11am for 36 of us and a lady member kept telling us to hurry up because she had a match to play and we were holding her up.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What part of this is SO difficult. How do you prove it would be better and what part of the membership already having voted no seems to make you think they want it. Why introduce something universally unpopular that I have no doubt would drive some members away. How can you possibly quantify what does or doesn't work better. Exactly how would you prove it

Why won't you answer my hypothetical question directly without being awkward? All it needed was yes or no

I don't know your system currently so I've no way to prove if it could be better, maybe it couldn't be bettered hence why my question was hypothetical.

The reason I asked was this, many clubs have a membership who like routine, they play the same roll ups, they play the same time every week etc etc and one thing they all hate is change, they fear it. RAGC wouldn't be alone in this, my club were terrified to change to the online system, they were terrified when it was suggested that they would drop one tee time and space the groups out a minute or 2 on comp days in an effort to try and stop slow play. They fear change in case it won't work even if shown that it will.

Im not suggesting you should change or need to change or even try to convince you to change and quite frankly i couldn't care less whether you have an online system or not, it's your club.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thats what we had and to be fair you had to be away from the club a month not to know of these visiting parties bookings.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why won't you answer my hypothetical question directly without being awkward? All it needed was yes or no

I don't know your system currently so I've no way to prove if it could be better, maybe it couldn't be bettered hence why my question was hypothetical.

The reason I asked was this, many clubs have a membership who like routine, they play the same roll ups, they play the same time every week etc etc and one thing they all hate is change, they fear it. RAGC wouldn't be alone in this, my club were terrified to change to the online system, they were terrified when it was suggested that they would drop one tee time and space the groups out a minute or 2 on comp days in an effort to try and stop slow play. They fear change in case it won't work even if shown that it will.

Im not suggesting you should change or need to change or even try to convince you to change and quite frankly i couldn't care less whether you have an online system or not, it's your club.

Not terrified of change, happy with what we have.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hayling use BRS for competitions, societies and visitors, the times are booked out on the sheet. The remaining times are reserved for members & guests and cannot be booked and these times are clearly visible online.

Works very smoothly :thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hayling use BRS for competitions, societies and visitors, the times are booked out on the sheet. The remaining times are reserved for members & guests and cannot be booked and these times are clearly visible online.

Works very smoothly :thup:

Wallasey have this set up too, times reserved for members only and bookable by members online so probably not like hayling. I'm unsure how they run their roll ups etc. though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Your turning a bore now and arguing for sake of it. If you couldn't care less why so many posts asking the same question.

To the others, when we have a society or competition tee time, there are notices on the boards in each locker room (male and female), we have an events board two weeks outside the male locker room with events for the next two weeks and the times the tees are booked and all the information is published in the members section of the website so there's no excuse not to be aware.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe I'm not understanding the challenges some courses see so forgive me if it sounded like it was a dig...certainly not intended. Not telling anyone on here how there club should be run!

I just know that it works well at our place and that you dont need to book if you dont want to. You can take a chance and roll up, you will get on if there's space. What I dont get is (if you dont have a booking system) you are still going to struggle are you not? I mean getting on when its super busy ie. Sat and Sun am.

The only time our place is booked 2 hours solid is weekend mornings, occasionally during the week when societys and seniors etc have block booked tee's. A booking system allows you to see that online and you navigate around it.
The busiest time at my Club is Saturday mornings. Comps are booked so no problem. Non comp days I play in the roll up, or play earlier. Never had to wait more than a couple of groups. Only time I waited a long time is when playing a 4 bbb winter league match, and opponents insisted on play at 9.00. Did tell them it would be busy. By 10.00 tee was free which was when I wanted to play. For some odd reason everyone doesn't turn up to play at the same time.

It is not scientific but it works, not heard any complaints from members, and everyone gets a game. If your tee is fully booked for two hours, and I get there at the beginning of the booking I don't get a game, unless I wait two hours. How does that advantage me ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Daily email , it's on the club website and it's also in the club online diary

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your turning a bore now and arguing for sake of it. If you couldn't care less why so many posts asking the same question.

Homer, you have just convinced me tonight that what others have said about you as correct which is unfortunate as I hadn't noticed it about you before.

I wasn't arguing I was genuinely curious hence my full explanation about clubs fearing change. You unfortunately were too ignorant and arrogant to answer a direct question.

I'll know the next time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer, you have just convinced me tonight that what others have said about you as correct which is unfortunate as I hadn't noticed it about you before.

I wasn't arguing I was genuinely curious hence my full explanation about clubs fearing change. You unfortunately were too ignorant and arrogant to answer a direct question.

I'll know the next time.

Val

The point is you've asked the question several times and I've answered it fully every time. The problem is you seem to think that we may benefit from a booking system and that we don't know what we're missing until we introduce it. The members have said they are happy and voted a resounding I know. I really don't know what else you want me to say on the subject. I don't want it, don't think it's necessary and the fact we communicate well in advance and in numerous places means the members have no excuse not to know when events are on.

Everyone seems to find a niche and fit their golf in and I don't think anyone is really struggling to get a game whether that's as a roll up group player or a social golfer playing with their mates. You may well be curious but I've explained the club doesn't fear change but simply doesn't see a need to make such a big change for something no one wants or for which there is no need. It's frustrating when you explain it several times and others inculding Hawkeye reiterate the same point

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Club website? Ha, my last place had just enough sense to build a basic website, but not enough sense to update it more than once a year :D.. I did try to drag them into the 21st Century, but it would have meant dragging them through the 19th and 20th first...;)