SG forcing clubs to accept "Open Play" entrants in Opens

D-S

Visit site
This is no different from how it has always been.
I certainly have heard from those on here and from discussions with my own and other handicap committees that WHS demands on committees are greater and the oversight needed is far more than previously needed if nothing else due to the massively increased number of scores for handicap that are being recorded now than under UHS - or do you believe that the workload is the same or less than before?

wjemather

Visit site
I certainly have heard from those on here and from discussions with my own and other handicap committees that WHS demands on committees are greater and the oversight needed is far more than previously needed if nothing else due to the massively increased number of scores for handicap that are being recorded now than under UHS - or do you believe that the workload is the same or less than before?
I'd suggest that responsibilities were not being met before, and the change to WHS has simply highlighted pre-existing deficiencies - particularly true of clubs that had no handicap committee at all.
With the increase in technology use, overall workload for committees has not increased. That being said, I am aware of many committees that are performing wholly unnecessary tasks and thereby increasing their workloads, and neglecting tasks that would reduce their workload, like educating their members.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Competition committees are free to set their own handicap limits. The increase in the maximum handicap was absolutely necessary for inclusivity; and particularly at each end of the age spectrum. Wrong
WHS enabled golfer of lesser abilities to compete fairly; that isn't a bad thing. Wrong
Club membership is not a gold standard for handicapping or golfing integrity. Wrong

As you are (I presume) a recreational golfer who doesn't play for a living, I'd suggest you have always primarily played for leisure. Half correct
Score 3.5 out of 4 wrong
Must try harder.

D-S

Visit site
I'd suggest that responsibilities were not being met before, and the change to WHS has simply highlighted pre-existing deficiencies - particularly true of clubs that had no handicap committee at all.
With the increase in technology use, overall workload for committees has not increased. That being said, I am aware of many committees that are performing wholly unnecessary tasks and thereby increasing their workloads, and neglecting tasks that would reduce their workload, like educating their members.
I know a lot of committee members who would strongly disagree with this and there is mention of having to remunerate people due to the increase in workload.
Just as an example, this is from another thread on the subject.
In the same way that Captains are often given an allowance against their membership fees during their time in office, perhaps Handicap Chairman should be similarly compensated to reflect the workload.
Many are.
Many clubs have paid staff doing most of the daily admin.
For information this is not my response to mikejohnchapman’s point - it’s yours.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also dont forget it took you 10 rounds to rise a shot under the old system;):LOL::LOL: how many does it take now?;)
Under the old system you could -
  • Submit only 3 cards a year to have an Active H/cap
  • Have a 'Day in the Sun' round, come down 3 or more shots then take the next 30+ rounds to get back to your 'true playing H/cap'
  • Play in a +3 CSS Comp & it is reductions only, so no change in H/cap
  • Have very little chance of competing when you played against someone who obtained their H/cap from a more difficult course than yours.
WHS despite a few drawbacks is a far, far fairer system of H/capping for recreational golf.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume, none of the insurance that EG gives members,
They do get the insurance.
Members of affiliated golf clubs and iGolf subscribers are automatically provided with liability insurance, underwritten by Burns and Wilcox Ltd.

when you can get this for £1 plus the EG £9.50 plus around £10 county fee).
Where does the £1 come from?

And the club's annual subscription (£1000 plus)

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
They do get the insurance

Where does the £1 come from?

And the club's annual subscription (£1000 plus)
Thanks for the info on iGolf insurance, I wasn’t sure.

As regards the subs, the two clubs localish to me that offer a £1 membership both make their money as pay and play courses. They offer those on these stupidly low subs packages such as paying £x for x% off the play and play rate for a year.
I don’t profess to understand their business model but I do know a few people who have taken membership up there as it represents so much better value than iGolf.

D-S

Visit site
I'm not sure but didn't EG introduce their non-club scheme before WHS?
I don’t think so as a key part of the igolf concept is submission of GP scores via the EG App which was introduced, I think, post the transition to WHS.
Not sure you would have been able to post a Supplementary scorecard to Woodhall Spa for entry onto the CDH system.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

As regards the subs, the two clubs localish to me that offer a £1 membership both make their money as pay and play courses. They offer those on these stupidly low subs packages such as paying £x for x% off the play and play rate for a year.
I don’t profess to understand their business model but I do know a few people who have taken membership up there as it represents so much better value than iGolf.
I wonder if they have a handicap committee of at least 3 members. Or at all. ;)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Can they play in the Clubs Comps?