Office Attire

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
So I've just landed a new job and start in a few weeks. One thing that really hit me during the interview process was how different the dress code was!?!

I spent 11 years in a very formal office environment (always a suit, shirt and tie) before moving to where in am now (less formal but still shirt and tie, less of the suits). This new place is jeans and shirts, so proper casual!!

I suppose it's the way it's going.

Any fellow forum members work in similar office environments?

D

Deleted member 15344

Only people that wear trousers are ones that are customer facing - everyone else is jeans and shirt or chinos and polo shirts

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same as ChrisD. One thing to think about. For some people this does not work, they need smart clothes to be in work mode. You have to work out what works for you. For me if it is hot I am in shorts tee shirts and flip flops. Whatever is comfortable.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Smart-casual so I could get away with chinos and a polo shirt but I prefer to go for shirt and trousers. I'll put a tie on if I'm having meetings/interviewing etc.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shorts and a tee shirt for me unless i'm hungover in which case usually stay in my pj's......if I really must see a client i'll usually bung some trousers on......

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I'm generally shirt and pants but half the office are jeans, polo shirts, "business casual" etc and tbh I'm increasingly thinking that will be the way forward.......I don't like ironing shirts. However, I am customer facing to some extent and would never wear jeans etc to a customer meeting. Only dig the suit out for interviews these days.

The company put this out after a bit of bad press on social media last year.......... http://www.techinsider.io/hp-says-it-has-no-dress-code-2015-7

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I take the view that if you can't be bothered to take care to dress with care (i.e. clean and presentable not necessarily formal) there's little chance you'll bring any more care/professionalism to your work.

If I lined up the hundreds of people who had worked for me over the years in a line ranging from scruffy to 'smart' I reckon the 'problems' would be focussed at one end !!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Spent thirty odd years working for design agencies and printing companies and being able to wear anything I wanted (usually jeans and t-shirt) - currently I'm the only graphic designer in a big blue chip company and dress code is suit - I actually quite enjoy it

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Corporate shirts for us with no need for a tie in our office worn with trousers. When facing customers we use our own judgement where ties are concerned but on the whole most are no longer encouraging the formal suit with collar and tie enviroment any more.

D

Deleted member 18121

I'm a chinos/shirt/jumper kinda guy. I'll stick on a suit if I have a really important meeting but generally this is as smart as I get.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me it's a matter of needs must. If I met a Solicitor, Accountant, Doctor, Professional type then I would be a bit uncomfortable if they were in shorts tee shirt and flip flops. On the other hand if it was someone coming round to clean up the moat or trim back the Corsican pines then I would be prepared to suffer it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it's a matter of needs must. If I met a Solicitor, Accountant, Doctor, Professional type then I would be a bit uncomfortable if they were in shorts tee shirt and flip flops. On the other hand if it was someone coming round to clean up the moat or trim back the Corsican pines then I would be prepared to suffer it.

I have been to see my doc and he has been in shorts and tee shirt, didn't bother me in the slightest, he still had a medical degree on his wall. For meetings I am always suit, tie depends on where i am and who i am meeting. A new customer in Germany, will be tie. An old customer in Holland will be no tie. In the office (when i go there) is chinos, polo or shirt and a jumper. Work from home, currently i am in ripped jeans and a hoody.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shirt and tie for me - don't have to but l do (and I'm one of very few who do). For me, tie = work and work = tie. Just would not feel right to do different.

When i retire - which ain't that far off - I'm going to cut all my ties in half ...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Mostly work from home so whatever I want. In the office in the UK then mostly anything goes but they draw the line at flip flops and beach shorts. When visiting over seas offices then depends on the culture. So for example in the US more casual, polo and chords/chinos fine, in Japan business suits, tie the full works all the time.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Where I used to work it was smart trousers, shirts etc. New job is almost all from home so I work naked in my PJs. When I do go to the office I can wear whatever I want, but still tend towards the smarter spectrum. When visiting clients I go for the smartest end of their dress code.