Black Tie Event

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been invited to a 'Masquerade Ball' in a few weeks. The invitation says black tie and mask mandatory. Mask? What the... This is not my cup of tea at all and I normally swerve this kind of thing, but the Mrs is keen to go. So, black tie, what dress code does that mean? Suit? Dickie bow? If so does the suit itself have to be black? Or does it mean a tuxedo type suit? Been looking online and these look more than a little tacky. Plus if tuxedo is the way forward it's gonna be an expensive affair for one nights use.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Usually code for tux & dickie.
You can hire, from memory used to cost circa 45 for suit, shirt, tie.
Plus maybe pop head in a couple of charity shops, can be surprised what can turn up in those

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you don't wanna buy, have a look at green woods where they do wedding rental suits. They will advise you.
me I love getting me tux out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Black tie is Dinner Jacket mate with bow tie and either a waistcoat or cumberband.

You can hire one for anything from £30-£50, wedding shops and shops like Austin Reed Debenhams, etc.

Tuxedo’s and Black tie can be one and the same or have subtle differences, tuxedo’s tend to come with tails (ie as seen at weddings) the difference between both and a normal suit, is the Tux/Black tie will have satin lapels and satin trim on the jacket and trousers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i was invited to a masons xmas do ,black tie jobby and i went down to the charity shops in town to see what was about ,i ended up with a perfect fitting jacket and trousers almost brand new for the princley sum of three quid.
oh and it was made by moss bross :cool:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For evening formal wear it is 'Black Tie' ie Black bow tie, Tuxedo (Dinner Jacket) (which does not have tails but does have satin lapels) and trousers (with a satin stripe). Some times a white dinner jacket is acceptable and a coloured bow tie.
Tuxedo is a Americanism

More formal evening wear would be 'Tails'. ie Tailed Jacket with a white (only) bow tie. Trousers as above. Black/white waistcoat

Formal day wear (eg wedding) would be 'Morning Suit' ie Black/navy/grey tailed jacket, plain lapels, waistcoat and striped trousers. Ordinary tie, usually grey mixture.

The above is only a guide. These days many variations are seen.

Just google 'Dinner jacket hire' and your nearest town.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As rulefan says DJ and striped trousers. Not sure about the mask, not my cup of tea either but I'm sure there are plenty of options out there. I fear if the wife has her heart set on going it'll be a done deal for the OP and time to hit the charity shops or visit the hire shops

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the input. Seems like it's the tuxedo route I'll have to go down. Which is a pain mainly because the satin lapels and stripes down the trouser legs make them look a little tacky to me. Plus I'm unlikely to use it for a wedding or other formal occasion, unless another one of these ball things crop up. Hiring could be a good shout, charity shop not so much due to time constraints.

The mask is not so bad. Some really really cheap options available that means I won't mind tossing it away as soon as it starts to annoy me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going back a few years we used to have one suit which my father in law, brother in law and myself shared. The trousers were half mast on me, arms a little short but frankly very few blokes seemed to have ones that fitted well so I reckon lots of blokes share them or buy from charity shops. When you wear them once every 2-3 years then it is not worth spending big.

I now use a different borrowed one which is slightly too big 😁

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For evening formal wear it is 'Black Tie' ie Black bow tie, Tuxedo (Dinner Jacket) (which does not have tails but does have satin lapels) and trousers (with a satin stripe). Some times a white dinner jacket is acceptable and a coloured bow tie.
Tuxedo is a Americanism

More formal evening wear would be 'Tails'. ie Tailed Jacket with a white (only) bow tie. Trousers as above. Black/white waistcoat

Formal day wear (eg wedding) would be 'Morning Suit' ie Black/navy/grey tailed jacket, plain lapels, waistcoat and striped trousers. Ordinary tie, usually grey mixture.

The above is only a guide. These days many variations are seen.

Just google 'Dinner jacket hire' and your nearest town.

This.

I hate it when people call it a Tuxedo.....

Ive got two as i reg go to black tie events, one single breasted, one double.

Ive seen them quite cheap even in M&S

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've got one , that was my Dad's... had it altered. I think I've worn it about three times in 15 years... invest in one and you'll use if so infrequently it'll out live you!

As for "masks"... that immediately means an NR from me... off the list are Fancy dress, Ocean Liners, murder mystery events, pikeyoki and "audience participation" of any description!" :D Had the good sense to marry a woman who feels exactly the same!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been invited to a 'Masquerade Ball' in a few weeks. The invitation says black tie and mask mandatory. Mask? What the... This is not my cup of tea at all and I normally swerve this kind of thing, but the Mrs is keen to go. So, black tie, what dress code does that mean? Suit? Dickie bow? If so does the suit itself have to be black? Or does it mean a tuxedo type suit? Been looking online and these look more than a little tacky. Plus if tuxedo is the way forward it's gonna be an expensive affair for one nights use.

Is it an 'Eyes Wide Shut' event?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the input. Seems like it's the tuxedo route I'll have to go down. Which is a pain mainly because the satin lapels and stripes down the trouser legs make them look a little tacky to me.
Not if everyone else is wearing one. It'll look cheap or disrespectful if you don't

U

User62651

Great bloke reaction, I'd be the same, cannot be bothered with such things - dinner suits/bow ties/masks/dancing.......god forbid. Hopefully there'll be a free bar, then you can really cut loose to the point you never get asked to such things ever again!;)