do you bother??

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm quite shocked at the response to this from some on here. You put on smart trousers and a clean (and expensive, lets not deny it) polo to play a sport and yet insist on jeans and a scuffy polo to go out for a meal? Really? We always dress up smart to go for a meal, it's part of it. You look good, you feel good and you have a good night out looking at your partner who is looking and smelling great. And this is what you should be doing.

For you and your other half that's great.

For me I just want to be comfortable and chill. I am who I am and I won't be told that's what I should be doing since it's what you enjoy.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm quite shocked at the response to this from some on here. You put on smart trousers and a clean (and expensive, lets not deny it) polo to play a sport and yet insist on jeans and a scuffy polo to go out for a meal? Really? We always dress up smart to go for a meal, it's part of it. You look good, you feel good and you have a good night out looking at your partner who is looking and smelling great. And this is what you should be doing.

Are you suggesting that Mrs Crazyface doesn't usually look and smell good? :)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Huh? You're not Mrs CF are you????? THat's what she'd say !!!!

Why no smilies????

What do you mean "why no smilies"? I deliberately put a :) smiley. I'm guessing that there are still a few glitches with switching over to the new format where some people are still not seeing smilies posted by others. Think that this could do with being dealt with asap so that people don't take posts in the wrong way.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on the evening and venue. Nice restaurant where the meal is the focus of the evening then yes, trousers and a shirt, sometimes a jacket. If we are goingout ib the town afterwards then maybe a bit more casual depending on the other venues.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you mean "why no smilies"? I deliberately put a :) smiley. I'm guessing that there are still a few glitches with switching over to the new format where some people are still not seeing smilies posted by others. Think that this could do with being dealt with asap so that people don't take posts in the wrong way.

I hope they sort this out, coz my misses always takes things I say the wrong way. It's cost me a fortune over the years!!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on the restaurant, but largely I usually wear a shirt or a polo shirt, with some jeans (not ripped ones or anything) or chinos. Casual shoes rather than trainers. I wouldn't wear a blazer/jacket, unless we were maybe there as part of a large group to celebrate something.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I eat out once a week. Never wore trousers and jacket.

Jeans and polo, or jeans and shirt depending on temperature.
Me and the gert also don’t class going out for food as an event. It’s because we are hungry.

I scoff 3 courses at the rate of knots, so dressing “smart” is a waste of time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I eat out once a week. Never wore trousers and jacket.

Jeans and polo, or jeans and shirt depending on temperature.
Me and the gert also don’t class going out for food as an event. It’s because we are hungry.

I scoff 3 courses at the rate of knots, so dressing “smart” is a waste of time.
what does your wife wear?

and if it was say a special occasion, like her birthday or anniversary?

U

User62651

I think wear whatever you're comfortable in but try and be washed and clean and have your clothes clean on too at least. For me a collared shirt and jeans is most likely in UK bit if it's the Med round neck t shirts are fine. Eating out is not that special or a treat these days, I often find it a bit humdrum and more often than not not great value for money and takes too long so rarely think I'm rushing back here. For an occassion or treat would look to do something else. If an establishment want to go upmarket and justify high prices by focussing on moneyed clientele by forcing a dress code and to keep out the 'riff raff', that's up to them, but I wont be rushing along.
How people dress is bound to evolve over time, eg. many work places dont force ties or even suits for men when they used to, more relaxed is the norm. With people hard up and restaurant businesses folding regularly dissuading people from coming due to over-formality and stuffiness or whatever is not really a good marketing move.
I would be more concerned that fellow diners are respectfully quiet and have opted not to take their screaming baby with them, than what they wear.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As I indicated earlier most of the time it’s not the venue but the occasion that dictates my standard of dress (& I reckon most others would be the same)

The same venue (random restaurant/bar type place) the same evening
1. Just passing and pop in for meal unplanned
2. Birthday/annaversary meal with partner
3. Group meal/works night out
4. Wedding reception
5. Corporate reception

So there’s 5 different standards of dress… for exactly the same venue for the same prices and same decor etc

Back to the opening post, if I pop in when passing as in scenario one, maybe just jeans/polo etc I may well see people from the other scenarios who have gone to more care over their dress-code for their occasion, but just because several other couples happen to be celebrating birthdays/anniversary’s etc when I pop in does it mean I’m under-dressed?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I indicated earlier most of the time it’s not the venue but the occasion that dictates my standard of dress (& I reckon most others would be the same)

The same venue (random restaurant/bar type place) the same evening
1. Just passing and pop in for meal unplanned
2. Birthday/annaversary meal with partner
3. Group meal/works night out
4. Wedding reception
5. Corporate reception

So there’s 5 different standards of dress… for exactly the same venue for the same prices and same decor etc

Back to the opening post, if I pop in when passing as in scenario one, maybe just jeans/polo etc I may well see people from the other scenarios who have gone to more care over their dress-code for their occasion, but just because several other couples happen to be celebrating birthdays/anniversary’s etc when I pop in it doesn’t mean I’m under-dressed
the place we had the meal at you have to book at least a couple of weeks in advance, so not a pop in bar.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But then we're really getting into specifics of discussing the dress standard for that particular venue rather than the thread topic
not really i asked what people would wear going for a meal with their partner, with the amount of people who have replied saying just jeans and tee shirts, i'm asking some what if it was a special occasion. I'm guessing by the way people dressed at the restaurant that night just confirms what others have said, they don't bother on the whole anymore.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
not really i asked what people would wear going for a meal with their partner, with the amount of people who have replied saying just jeans and tee shirts, i'm asking some what if it was a special occasion. I'm guessing by the way people dressed at the restaurant that night just confirms what others have said, they don't bother on the whole anymore.
This Sunday my wife and I will be going to a restaurant for our first wedding anniversary. I expect I will wear a shirt or polo shirt with some smart jeans and smart/casual brown shoes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Fine, so lets just assume you don't need to book two weeks in advance (otherwise your question would have been 'what would you wear going out for a meal to a restaurant that you need to book two weeks in advance' :) ) which might well have received different answers

But I think we're nearly on the same page, occasion trumps venue

D

Deleted member 21258

If we go out to a restaurant, I would normally wear T-shirt(with collar), trousers, shoes and jumper.

Other than a wedding last year, when necessary at golf courses, and a formal Christmas party/evening/dinner, I think I haven't wore a suit or a jacket for ages for any other reason.

When I was much younger, I once turned up to an wedding evening wearing a cardigan, when I walked in and everyone was wearing suits/formal wear, I have to say I did feel very uncomfortable and never made that mistake again :embarrassed: