do you bother??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went out for dinner last night with the wife to a nice restaurant, not a cheap place quite smart and expensive.

maybe 20 other couples there, only one other apart from us who looked smart TBH and made any effort. i only had a shirt and jacket and the wife a dress, so not suit and tie, but there were guys with tee shirts and scruffy jeans and trainers wives not much better. even a few older couples who had made no effort either.

so if you go out with your Wife/Partner/ other half do you make an effort or would you just turn up like you were just nipping to the pub ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Yes, I make an effort. My wife & I sometimes treat ourselves to lunch at a posh restaurant. I'd feel conspicuous & out of place if I didn't wear some smart trousers & a jacket. No tie though, only weat that at funerals since I retired.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It absolutely depends on where it is.
When we're up at the in-laws we go to a restaurant/pub close by.
Sometimes I go smart/casual, sometimes in jeans.
There are many parallels with this subject and Golf dress codes...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitions of what is smart may differ here. Jackets and ties are for funerals only for me so I never go out in either. It wouldn't matter what the restaurant was and if it was the type that insisted then I would not go there. Plenty of restaurants to choose from.

I'd wear casual trousers, most of mine are from Fat Face, and a casual shirt although one of my favourites, not a day to dayer. In effect, nothing formal. I would not do t-shirt and trainers though.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Depends. If I'm going direct to the meal I'll bother. However last weekend for our anniversary we spent the day wandering round London; the Aquarium, St. James's Park & the Cabinet War Rooms before going on for a nice steak. Not scruffy, but dressed with an eye on what we were doing over the day rather than just the meal.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's a wedding or a funeral then I'll put on a shirt and tie. If it's not and I can't attend wearing jeans and a polo shirt then I'm not going.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Always try to dress smart. Gotta say that I am amazed by what others think is smart when they go out.
Went to a wedding / night time disco the other week. I wore shorts and a t shirt and was smart. Some of the grooms etc were bladdered beyond recognition. They had given up on looking smart about two minutes after they got to the bar for the first beers.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Smart trousers and a shirt is about as smart as I want to go. If it’s a formal event, e.g. a wedding, I’ll be suited and booted. But if it’s just the boss and I we won’t go to a restaurant that requires the same.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always try and present myself as best as possible, relative to the situation.

Most of the time this essentially equates to turd-polishing :)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm quite shocked at the response to this from some on here. You put on smart trousers and a clean (and expensive, lets not deny it) polo to play a sport and yet insist on jeans and a scuffy polo to go out for a meal? Really? We always dress up smart to go for a meal, it's part of it. You look good, you feel good and you have a good night out looking at your partner who is looking and smelling great. And this is what you should be doing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on where I am going

Restaurant - smart casual, trousers and a dress shirt but no tie or jacket

Pub or eatery style venue depends on when I am going and what I am wearing already maybe ditto above if I am going to change anyway.

Postmatch meal at the club if nothing specified I will normally at lest change to a dress shirt

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I dont care what other folk wear, but it's suprising how often the issue is an absence of personal hygene, rather than wardrobe choice! :)

I tend to follow Slab's rule above.... good manners costs nowt! (my Dad always said that "over dressing" is just as bad as "under dressing too!" )

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Here you go: https://www.debretts.com/expertise/etiquette/dress-codes/

Please don't shoot the messenger.

I do honestly think that we are becoming increasingly sloppy in the way that we dress and are making less effort to look nice but all this is totally subjective and what I consider to be smart may not be what someone else considers smart so all this is just my humble opinion. I am also not the person to huff and tut if someone turns up in jeans rather than trousers. I also hail from a time when I turned 18 getting into a nightclub required smart trousers a formal collared Shirt and proper Shoes so I suppose I have been conditioned to think the way that I do or maybe I was just born a generation late and would have preferred my 20s in the 50's or 60's.

I go to a lot of black tie dos and I do quite like them as you have to make an effort and it makes all feel a bit more special. If you are going somewhere special and/or it has a dress code then I think it is respectful to dress accordingly, if it just to the local Harvester again dress accordingly.

Having said all this I am also happy slopping around at home in a scruffy t shirts, shorts and flip flops but I would only wear them at home / on the beach.