Club Re-gripping

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was told not to do this.!
If there is any moisture gets in the inside of the shaft it can cause rusting.
I was told that’s what the hole in the end of grip is for to let any moisture out So not to block it with tape!

I would have thought if you didn’t do this more moisture /water would get inside the shaft.

That’s why I would have been interested in Bobs opinion but he seems to have the hump for some reason 🤷🏼‍♂️

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought if you didn’t do this more moisture /water would get inside the shaft.

That’s why I would have been interested in Bobs opinion but he seems to have the hump for some reason 🤷🏼‍♂️
Water gets in any way.
most grip tape isn’t waterproof.
It was more moisture staying in the shaft.
TBF this was a while ago shafts are much better now, but my shaft snapped from rust inside and this is how the pro explained it to me.
Just how different pros think I suppose.

I have noticed when Bob gives some advice somebody always seems to contradict him.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Water gets in any way.
most grip tape isn’t waterproof.
It was more moisture staying in the shaft.
TBF this was a while ago shafts are much better now, but my shaft snapped from rust inside and this is how the pro explained it to me.
Just how different pros think I suppose.

I have noticed when Bob gives some advice somebody always seems to contradict him.

I’ve always thought it strange why anyone would contradict him he’s a pro after all , and I’ve found some of his tips helpful over the years.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I cut old grip off with Stanley knife. Cut away from your fingers.!!
you can get the old tape off by warming it up with a hairdryer or heat gun.
Double sided tape , then pour some white spirit into the grip with finger over the hole at butt end.
Swish around and pour the liquid on the tape and slide the grip on.
Make sure you line it up before it starts to dry.

Youtube has lots of videos about it.
Its very easy for anyone with any diy knowledge.
Pretty much how I do it. I would use a Stanley blade with a hook on it though at it is safer than using a standard blade.
I sometimes put a bit of tape on the shaft in line with were the markings on the old grip are to assist in aligning the new grips.
I've been doing it for years. I'm too tight bottomed to pay somebody to do it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much how I do it. I would use a Stanley blade with a hook on it though at it is safer than using a standard blade.
I sometimes put a bit of tape on the shaft in line with were the markings on the old grip are to assist in aligning the new grips.
I've been doing it for years. I'm too tight bottomed to pay somebody to do it.
I was actually taught to do it with a hacksaw.
It marks the shaft slightly but you can’t see it under the grip.
Steel shafts only then though even in persimmon drivers.
If your doing a lot of clubs this takes the least time.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was actually taught to do it with a hacksaw.
It marks the shaft slightly but you can’t see it under the grip.
Steel shafts only then though even in persimmon drivers.
If your doing a lot of clubs this takes the least time.
I use a permanent marked, and just draw on half the shaft at te bottom of old grip. No damage or time taken:0

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry I meant to remove the old grip With the saw.

I have a ruler hanging in the shed I have marked it to the length I need for the tape.
Ahhh, I understand.
I don't cut old grips off now, after spilling a little too much blood once or twice..;)
Now I use an air line and a piece of 32mm plastic pipe, just longer than a grip. It stops the grip going pop, and allows safe removal of the grip.
Push the air line nozzle down the eye hole, with the pipe covering the grip. Squirt air in, so it starts to expand but as the pipe stops it going too much the air is forced along the grip lifting it unstauck of the shaft.Then the air propels the grip off the shaft under (my) control.
I do all of this by holding the club by hand. I have a shaft block for the vice, but always do regrips by hand now..start to finish. I find it easier and quicker.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now I use an air line and a piece of 32mm plastic pipe, just longer than a grip. It stops the grip going pop, and allows safe removal of the grip.
Push the air line nozzle down the eye hole, with the pipe covering the grip. Squirt air in, so it starts to expand but as the pipe stops it going too much the air is forced along the grip lifting it unstauck of the shaft.Then the air propels the grip off the shaft under (my) control.
I have found this very it and miss depending on the original club maker.

I always try this method first if I am trying to salvage the grip.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have found this very it and miss depending on the original club maker.

I always try this method first if I am trying to salvage the grip.
Yes, I have found this as well. However I don't normally bother about salvaging grips, so a grip that comes off a club goes into the bin:)
I just enjoy the process more, and suffer less pain, or the risk of more pain is removed. (Unless I don't quite hold the club and pipe right and fire the club across the garage still holding the pipe and old grip...:oops:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I have found this as well. However I don't normally bother about salvaging grips, so a grip that comes off a club goes into the bin:)
I just enjoy the process more, and suffer less pain, or the risk of more pain is removed. (Unless I don't quite hold the club and pipe right and fire the club across the garage still holding the pipe and old grip...:oops:

When I first started using the air system (many years ago) I did not know about the pipe over the grip. A grip exploding was one of the scariest moments I have ever had when it comes to regripping.

The salvaging mainly came from when I used to buy batches of ex demonstrator shafts and I used to take the grips off and sell as batches, I often got back more for the grips than what I paid for the shafts.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first started using the air system (many years ago) I did not know about the pipe over the grip. A grip exploding was one of the scariest moments I have ever had when it comes to regripping.

The salvaging mainly came from when I used to buy batches of ex demonstrator shafts and I used to take the grips off and sell as batches, I often got back more for the grips than what I paid for the shafts.
I agree a grip exploding is rather scary, however the shaft and head being fired across the garage because I wasn't holding it right is just as scary as although quiet, the damage it may do to things...such as the car parked in the garage is more alarming :oops::oops::LOL::LOL:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I agree a grip exploding is rather scary, however the shaft and head being fired across the garage because I wasn't holding it right is just as scary as although quiet, the damage it may do to things...such as the car parked in the garage is more alarming :oops::oops::LOL::LOL:
I only ever tried compressed air once, without the pipe, and the resulting exploding grip put me off forever.

If I want to salvage grips, I use the wire coat hanger method. It takes some practise, is quite hard work and also time-consuming, but safer.

RichA

Visit site

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just regripped my driver last night with a fake midsize grip bought off Temu. Sat at the dining table, cut the old one off with a straight Stanley knife blade. Used an empty Cadbury's Heroes plastic tub from the Christmas choccy selection to collect the drops of white spirit that I poured over the tape (also Temu).

Job's a good 'un. (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had all clubs regripped as a Christmas present to myself. Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align…no way could I regrip them myself with having to get the alignment ridge properly aligned with clubface. Didn’t even consider doing it myself. I happily paid my pro to do it for a few quid a club.

And they feel fab.👍

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had all clubs regripped as a Christmas present to myself. Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align…no way could I regrip them myself with having to get the alignment ridge properly aligned with clubface. Didn’t even consider doing it myself. I happily paid my pro to do it for a few quid a club.

And they feel fab.👍

Yeah I'd go pro too
Probably a nice 'skill' to have & folks may even get some satisfaction from the task but with a £70-80 outlay on grips, the £16 to have them done for me is easily justifiable

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Lots of useful and different ideas. Got vice on my workbench and been watching you tube vids thanks bobmac!!
You can pick up a kit from Amazon relatively cheap. It’s useful for the hooked blade and club gripper to use in you vice. A hooked blade is wise for carbon shafts.

go to adore grips if you are sticking with main brands as they will be cheaper than anywhere else. get same grip tape from there even if you buy the amazon kit. The tape in the cheap amazon kits is messy.

also by a cheap bottle of white spirit and put a tray on the floor under where you are working to collect the excess.

i but my grips on backward for two reasons. First if I use a grip with a prominent logo, I don’t like it being on the front as I grip to that rather than the clubface. Secondly, if my grip fitting alignment is wonky then I won’t be able to tell.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'd go pro too
Probably a nice 'skill' to have & folks may even get some satisfaction from the task but with a £70-80 outlay on grips, the £16 to have them done for me is easily justifiable
The reason I got in to doing mine was fairly simple-

In bygone days buying ridged/ribless grips was nearly impossible (very occasionally available in the pro shop). I used to get the pro to put the grips on upside down but about 5 degrees out of vertical. I often had to get him to readjust slightly so the ridge was not interfering with my grip. Started to do them for myself so I could get it right whilst still wet.

My outlay on grips is in the region of £10 -£20 for 13 often with tape supplied. Doing for oneself means that you can go for the cheaper brands and not worry too much about how long they last.