A question for the folks who build up their grips

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I currently have .600 core grips on .600 shafts.

I have the grips built up to 1/32" oversize (3 layers of tape).

I'm looking to regrip my woods and irons in the coming weeks and I'm thinking of simply plumping for a stock midsize grip which usually run at 1/16" oversize. This is equivalent to about 6 layers of tape as opposed to my usual 3.

I'm just wondering if this is going to be a little too much?

Ideally I'm looking to try and source a club with a midsize grip already installed and hit a few balls to see how it goes.

I know from past experience I've had no issue hitting a .58 grip on a .600 shaft that was built up with 3 layers (1 layer shy of midsize) so I'm just wondering if I can save myself quite a bit of time and a sizeable amount of masking tape in installing a midsize as opposed building up a standard size grip.

Any opinions?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only way to find out is to try it mate, but 3 layers up to midsize is a pretty big jump imo.

Best option is just to get 1 club regripped in each of the options and compare them to see which suits you best. Think last time I had mine done i tried normal +4 or 5, midsize and midsize +1 to find what worked best for me. This time round ive gone for midsize but have 3 extra layers just on the bottom hand to make the grips parallel.

Definitely a good idea to experiment and find out what works best for you imo

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only way to find out is to try it mate, but 3 layers up to midsize is a pretty big jump imo.

Best option is just to get 1 club regripped in each of the options and compare them to see which suits you best. Think last time I had mine done i tried normal +4 or 5, midsize and midsize +1 to find what worked best for me. This time round ive gone for midsize but have 3 extra layers just on the bottom hand to make the grips parallel.

Definitely a good idea to experiment and find out what works best for you imo

For sure Steve.

I currently have my grips built up to 1/32" oversize, but have played, as I said, with grips to fractionally (1 layer) below a midsize with no issue.

As you say +3 layers to midsize is quite a big jump.... Or is it?

The sizing chart I use, for he same grip (.600 core and .600 butt) has the difference at 3 layers. Which it would be as building a grip build from standard to 1/32" oversize is 3 layers.

As a side question Steve, what size glove do you take?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For sure Steve.

I currently have my grips built up to 1/32" oversize, but have played, as I said, with grips to fractionally (1 layer) below a midsize with no issue.

As you say +3 layers to midsize is quite a big jump.... Or is it?

The sizing chart I use, for he same grip (.600 core and .600 butt) has the difference at 3 layers. Which it would be as building a grip build from standard to 1/32" oversize is 3 layers.

As a side question Steve, what size glove do you take?

Theoretically it shouldnt be but when I tried it certainly seemed so to me

I use a large glove (Srixon leather currently) but theyre pretty snug

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Theoretically it shouldnt be but when I tried it certainly seemed so to me

I use a large glove (Srixon leather currently) but theyre pretty snug

I use a ML Mizuno Skintite and that, as you say is snug, but I can't abide loose fitting gloves so prefer it.

As I say, I'll see if I can find one to demo and see how that goes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Has me at midsize too.

I've found that works best for me also - in fact midsize plus 2 layers - by trial and error as to what works/feels best.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
...... by trial and error as to what works/feels best.
When it comes to grips this is the best option.
I come up undersize when using the charts/online fitting.
Just having my clubs regripped with standard size grips with 3 layers if tape. The club feels so much better, completely got rid of choking the club.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Has me at midsize too.

I've found that works best for me also - in fact midsize plus 2 layers - by trial and error as to what works/feels best.

:thup:

When it comes to grips this is the best option.
I come up undersize when using the charts/online fitting.
Just having my clubs regripped with standard size grips with 3 layers if tape. The club feels so much better, completely got rid of choking the club.

Grip pressure isn't something I struggle with.

The only time I'll choke the life out of a grip is hitting out of the rough when the ball is sat down in the roots.

As I said above. I've played pretty much all combinations from standard upwards with various build layers, but never tried a midsize grip.

Grip pressure aside, I think a large grip may help.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Right, not long back from the range and I'm more confused than when I started, but I a good way.

The range I use has an excellent fitting facility and had several standard and midsize grips on ct down shafts. Ideal for checking the feel of a grip in your hands.

So. I decided to have a feel at the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound. The grip itself is horrid, but wanted to try and get a feel for the size. On this front it felt fine, didn't feel overly big and restrictive and was comfortable.

The same with the 2G wraps that I tried and also a Tour Velvet.

When held in position (as if I were gripping a club) my longest finger and ring finger on my left hand rested, just nicely, on the fleshy pad to the base of my thumb.

I then got to speaking to one of the fitters. First thing he did was measure my hand.

First measurement was:

Total hand length - 8"
Longest finger - 3.5"

He suggested I would be be best suited to a standard size grip, with little to no additional tape. When I tried holding a stock grip the two fingers mentioned above were pressed noticeably more into the pad at the base of my thumb.

As I've always understood correct grip sizing, if the finger are pressed into the lad at the base of the thumb the grips are too small?

Crossfield has a different view:

[video=youtube_share;FnQp_VMUCz4]http://youtu.be/FnQp_VMUCz4[/video]

So now I'm faced with an interesting decision. The NDMC felt nice size wise, but still aren't sure whether the change up to midsize is to big a gap.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just curious as to why & what you are looking to get from a thicker grip in terms of shot results. The measurements alone (in the average man's hand size range) wouldn't really indicate any need for wraps or mid-size.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just curious as to why & what you are looking to get from a thicker grip in terms of shot results.

Absolutely nothing Coach. I just want the correct size grip.

The measurements alone (in the average man's hand size range) wouldn't really indicate any need for wraps or mid-size.

Pretty much what the fitter said.

There is so much contradictory information out there at the minute, I must admit to being unsure.

Both Lamkin and Golf pride online fitting has me at midsize. Wishon has me at +1/32" and the club fitter at the range has me at standard with little to no tape :mad:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybes try hitting a good bunch of shots with say a 6i, & a normal grip size, no wraps, before doing anything else.

If a too big a grip for the hands the results would be, if any at all, to hamper a natural hand/wrist release, maybes even a slight loss in attainable club head speed through impact.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybes try hitting a good bunch of shots with say a 6i, & a normal grip size, no wraps, before doing anything else.

If a too big a grip for the hands the results would be, if any at all, to hamper a natural hand/wrist release, maybes even a slight loss in attainable club head speed through impact.

I absolutely agree.

I'm not looking to change anything of have it affected by grips so quite happy to stay where I am at present.