Club Re-gripping

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello guys Happy New Year

I need to get my irons regripped and was at AG today who were charging £8.99 per Golf Pride tour velvet midsize plus £2 per club fitting fee, so quite an outIay! I know people do their own so I'm thinking of doing the same.
Can pick up same grips at Gamola and Affordable golf for a few quid less each.
So advice I'm after is;
Is Buying a club regripping kit a good idea? Or
Remove grip with Stanley knife Keep the tape on if still intact or always replace?
Wide double sided masking tape?
I'm not sure how many layers of tape were put originally, can you tell?
White spirit or some other solvent to slide grip on.

Any other tips or buying advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always replace the old tape, I use the wide double sided grip tape on a roll and cut to length. As for layers, when I used to add layers, I always used the grip tape.
I use turpentine substitute as it's cheaper than white spirit, and never had any issues.

The one thing I do when it's regripping time, is to regrip every club regardless of it's use/wear. That way they all feel the same and will react the same in all weathers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cut old grip off with Stanley knife. Cut away from your fingers.!!
you can get the old tape off by warming it up with a hairdryer or heat gun.
Double sided tape , then pour some white spirit into the grip with finger over the hole at butt end.
Swish around and pour the liquid on the tape and slide the grip on.
Make sure you line it up before it starts to dry.

Youtube has lots of videos about it.
Its very easy for anyone with any diy knowledge.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Never ever thought about leaving old tape on. I'm putting new grips on, so I want new tape as well.

If you buy a set of Champkey grips from Amazon, they usually come with a suitable knife, tapes and a small bottle of fluid.
I like the wrap style ones on my vintage clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I cut old grip off with Stanley knife. Cut away from your fingers.!!
you can get the old tape off by warming it up with a hairdryer or heat gun.
Double sided tape , then pour some white spirit into the grip with finger over the hole at butt end.
Swish around and pour the liquid on the tape and slide the grip on.
Make sure you line it up before it starts to dry.

Youtube has lots of videos about it.
Its very easy for anyone with any diy knowledge.
Believe me when I say you don't need DIY knowledge.....if I can do it then absolutely anyone can.....

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have said re-gripping is easy, I use a rubber sleeve that’s specific for the job and slide that on shaft and put in vice to hold still , white spirit in grip then I pour that on tape (with bucket underneath) and slide grip on.

If you haven’t got vice it’s still not too much bother doing

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One other thing I would add when putting on new tape I was told to leave overlap on butt end and tuck some inside of club.

Maybe Bob will be along to give his opinion if this is the correct thing to do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SAPLIZE Golf Grip Kits for Regripping Golf Clubs, Kit A to D for Options Including Golf Grip Tape Strips, Grip Solvent, Hook Blade & Rubber Vise Clamp https://amzn.eu/d/7Mz05qI

I got kit C

If doing often I liked the idea of when you remove next time these tapes stay inside the grip to save removing old tape. Also comes with a hook blade which is better than a Stanley knife

One tip I would say is what @GreiginFife told me

Before cutting off grip put masking tape just below it. Draw a line where the old logo lines up. Then when you remove the grip you can line up with that line and have perfectly aligned grips

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Lots of useful and different ideas. Got vice on my workbench and been watching you tube vids thanks bobmac!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Lots of useful and different ideas. Got vice on my workbench and been watching you tube vids thanks bobmac!!

That kit I posted includes a very useful holder that protects the club when in the vice

You can get a normal tape version aswell

That saying next time I'm planning to buy a roll of tape and normal grip solvent Just because I've got the blade, the vice thing and it's easier than I thought

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One other thing I would add when putting on new tape I was told to leave overlap on butt end and tuck some inside of club.

Maybe Bob will be along to give his opinion if this is the correct thing to do.
I was told not to do this.!
If there is any moisture gets in the inside of the shaft it can cause rusting.
I was told that’s what the hole in the end of grip is for to let any moisture out So not to block it with tape!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I was told not to do this.!
If there is any moisture gets in the inside of the shaft it can cause rusting.
I was told that’s what the hole in the end of grip is for to let any moisture out So not to block it with tape!
The hole in the end of the grip is to allow air to escape when you slide the grip on. Without this hole there will be an airtight seal between the grip and tape that will prevent the grip from going on.

Absolutely it is fine to have excess tape over the end of the club and to fold it over to "block" the end of the shaft...it will prevent grit and stones from getting inside the shaft and rattling around. I've removed loads of grips from many professionally built clubs and I've never found one without the open end of the shaft covered over.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
extra tips

When you put the shaft in vice angle it butt end down so the surplus fluid runs to the butt and not the head.

When using a Stanley knife do not place the blade so it is straight down at the shaft, angle the knife your are only cutting in to the grip.

Use a paint roller tray to catch the liquid in

If you intend adding extra layers leave the original tape on.