Re-Gripping Q - what do you use as build up tape

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you use standard double sided grip tape or do you build up the layers with standard masking tape?
If masking tape is used do you build it up on top of the double sided tape or is the double sided tape the top layer?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you use standard double sided grip tape or do you build up the layers with standard masking tape?
If masking tape is used do you build it up on top of the double sided tape or is the double sided tape the top layer?

Used to use masking tape. Now I can't be bothered so just buy midsize :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had midsize on my clubs but didn't like them so just changing them out for standard with 3 layers (this probably makes them mid size anyway!?)

Thanks for the help folks.

Dependant on the core size, it's usually 6 layers to get to midsize.

Again, core size dependant, what you're looking at with 3 layers will be 1/32" oversize :thup:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just use the double sided grip tape. I buy it in 50mm wide rolls from Gamola.
I have found though that too many layers has the effect of stretching the trip a little too much thus reducing the cumulative total effect.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 50mm masking tape and I've ordered plenty of the pre-cut double sided tape strips so I might try both and see which I get on best with.
Any tips on doing driver/3 woods/hybrids? I've watched the golf pride videos but they are mainly on irons? My only concern is getting the grip lined up square to the face...

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 50mm masking tape and I've ordered plenty of the pre-cut double sided tape strips so I might try both and see which I get on best with.
Any tips on doing driver/3 woods/hybrids? I've watched the golf pride videos but they are mainly on irons? My only concern is getting the grip lined up square to the face...

You have a few minuets to move the grip around and get it straight before it sets. Also remember once you have everything where you want it that you turn the club over and bang the butt of the club on the floor a few times.

djjinx1

Visit site
I just use Grip Tape, white spirit allows some time to get the grip straight though it can rub the paint from the grip (colours, branding etc)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had midsize on my clubs but didn't like them so just changing them out for standard with 3 layers (this probably makes them mid size anyway!?)

Thanks for the help folks.
Have you tried the golf pride mcc4 reduced taper they don't reduce as much in the lower hand they are excellent.