Re gripping clubs

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which of the JL Golf grips have you used Jim? Thinking of trying some of there dual compound ones and wondered how they compared.

last lot I bought from them, a couple of years ago, were a large box of mixed make dual compounds some of which which are still in use today

They often have main brand seconds which are usually just cosmetic eg paint spill.

I have had their Velvet style in the past to put on clubs that I was selling and could not fault them.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's really easy to do, few of small tips.
1. Most grips have a centre line which you want running directly down the shaft so if the grips that you are removing are the originals (or have been regripped straight) use a sharpie to mark this centre line before you remove the old grip and it makes aligning the new ones much easier (the sharpie is easily cleaned off steel shafts, you can use a piece of masking tape if you want on graphite shafts if your worried the sharpie might leave a mark).
2. You can't put too much fluid on, you don't need lots but making sure the tape is well covered makes fitting easier, a 15" paint roller tray is handy for collecting the excess fluid and it has a pouring spout and you can reuse the fluid if you want to. https://www.toolstation.com/roller-tray/p11328
3. Wear a plastic apron or old clothes your not worried about as the fluid can shoot out of the vent hole while pushing the grip on.
4. When fitting the new grips once it's on use another one of your new grips as a size guide, it's easy to slightly over or under stretch the new grip when fitting and you can end up with a set of irons with slightly different length grips if your not careful. If your only fitting 1 grip you can measure it before fitting and check it's still the same after fitting.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's really easy to do, few of small tips.
1. Most grips have a centre line which you want running directly down the shaft so if the grips that you are removing are the originals (or have been regripped straight) use a sharpie to mark this centre line before you remove the old grip and it makes aligning the new ones much easier (the sharpie is easily cleaned off steel shafts, you can use a piece of masking tape if you want on graphite shafts if your worried the sharpie might leave a mark).
2. You can't put too much fluid on, you don't need lots but making sure the tape is well covered makes fitting easier, a 15" paint roller tray is handy for collecting the excess fluid and it has a pouring spout and you can reuse the fluid if you want to. https://www.toolstation.com/roller-tray/p11328
3. Wear a plastic apron or old clothes your not worried about as the fluid can shoot out of the vent hole while pushing the grip on.
4. When fitting the new grips once it's on use another one of your new grips as a size guide, it's easy to slightly over or under stretch the new grip when fitting and you can end up with a set of irons with slightly different length grips if your not careful. If your only fitting 1 grip you can measure it before fitting and check it's still the same after fitting.

thank you, thats some brilliant tips there. I will save them for next time and when I practice

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I do mine, I cover the hole in the butt of the grip with my finger and fill the grip with white spirit, then pour the white spirit over the grip tape so all the tape is covered . This stops excess spirit being wasted and also means the complete inside of the grip is wet to help it slide on the wet tape. It also helps with any slight alignment adjustements you with to make once the grip is on the shaft. Also, push the grip on once you have it started, dont pull it on the shaft. You risk stretching the grip and risk making the thickness inconsistent between clubs if you pull it onto the grip. Push it on fully, and it will be even.