Something not right with grips

HPIMG

Visit site
I have golf pride mmc plus 4 on all my clubs and was playing with a mate a few weeks ago and he bought this second hand mizuno wedge that’s about a year old. So he’s complaining he doesn’t like the wedge and I said can I have a shot. I hit a few shots, the wedge was quite nice but I was really impressed with the grip it was a lamkin cross line. So the next day I go into the pro shop and get my 3 wedges done and want to use them for a week or two before deciding if I should do all the clubs.

Right away when I pick up my wedges I noticed they don’t feel as grippy as my mates pre owned wedge that’s about a year old. So last night was first time I’ve seen him in over a week and right away I say show me your old wedge and we both agreed my new grips and no where near and as grippy as his old one so somethings not right.

I am thinking there’s three possible things that it could be.

1. Dare I say it the pro shop has bought fake grips ?
2. Lamkin have cut costs and are using cheaper materials now ?
3. Possible the grips have been laying in a cupboard for years in the pro shop and have worn away ?

We are playing the Tuesday medal together and was thinking I should take my new grips in with the old one to show the pro and see what he thinks. Just wanted to get others opinions please?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Any of your three speculations could be true, but yes you should borrow your mate's club and ask your pro to compare with the ones he put on yours.
You must do that before drawing any conclusions.
Lamkin have made excellent grips over the years. I bought a set of 1960s irons that a previous owner had put Lamkin wrap-style permatack grips on - they are great.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go with with 3

I have a box full of grips and certainly notice you get 'age hardening' of some grips.

Also happens to unused clubs that have lain around for some years.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It could also be that your mates grips have been cleaned which makes them feel tackier. My tour velvets always felt better than they are when replaced after a wash with simple fairy liquid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31467

It could also be that your mates grips have been cleaned which makes them feel tackier. My tour velvets always felt better than they are when replaced after a wash with simple fairy liquid.
Yeah....give the new grips a scrub with fairy liquid. Could be a layer of dust in the grip pattern if they have been lying in stock for a while.

Springveldt

Visit site
Was about to say the same. @HPIMG give your new grips a wash and see if that makes them feel the same. Could just be they have been lying in a cupboard for a while.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I've just bought a set of grips, grip tape kit, and a UV torch off TEMU - just short of £12.

What can possibly go wrong.... :ROFLMAO:

RichA

Visit site
I grip my own clubs.
Once the adhesive has set I always scrub them with soapy water, rinse off and dry because any excess solvent splatter from gripping leaves them a bit slippy.