Golf grips

Mandofred

Visit site
I had been playing with Tour Velvet mid-size +4 grips. A couple of months ago I ordered some new full cord mid-size grips from Lamkin, and I stuck 3 extra tapes on the lower section to get closer to what I thought would be the same size. I like the full cord grips, but these Lamkins are noticeably thinner than the Tour Velvet. Is there a full cord grip that is more in the same width as the Tour Velvet? Or will I just have to stick several extra layers of tape on next time?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All the major manufacturers make grips in different thickness' and the other thing is to make sure you buy the correct bore size to suit the butt size of you shaft

I used to fit Winn grips as their wrap style were the same thickness all the way down, they way they are made (windings round an inner core) makes them naturally thicker.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A daft question, but did you get the right size bore for your grips? Different shafts can require different bore sizes, and if the grip is stretched to go over a larger bore, that may also make it seem thinner.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A daft question, but did you get the right size bore for your grips? Different shafts can require different bore sizes, and if the grip is stretched to go over a larger bore, that may also make it seem thinner.

I think if the grip is stretched to go over a shaft larger than its core diameter it comes out thicker; a 0.580 core onto a 0.600 shaft used to give something in-between standard & midsize.

I had been playing with Tour Velvet mid-size +4 grips. A couple of months ago I ordered some new full cord mid-size grips from Lamkin, and I stuck 3 extra tapes on the lower section to get closer to what I thought would be the same size. I like the full cord grips, but these Lamkins are noticeably thinner than the Tour Velvet. Is there a full cord grip that is more in the same width as the Tour Velvet? Or will I just have to stick several extra layers of tape on next time?

If you put a 0.600 core grip over a 0.580 diameter shaft, it will come up thinner; did they slide on noticeably more easily than the Tour Velvets? If so that might explain it. If you gently roll the bottom of the grip back, the numbers are normally there, either 58 or 60 normally. And if it is 58R or 60R then it indicates that the grip is round and has no reminder rib down the back.