Help me, i'm new and i have no idea what is happening

NayfGolf

Visit site
Hi all,

As you can tell from the title, i'm completely new to playing golf (apart from on the Playstation and playing 9 holes/slicing shots on the driving range as a kid). Fast forward and now i'm a 35 year old man, with a single garage.

So about 5 days ago i decide i'm going to get into golf and build a home simulator, i've got an old set of Fila irons, graphite shaft. I've also picked up some old drivers from a charity shop, an Air bear 2 and a Howsen. Can't go into anymore detail, that's what they say on them, don't know if they are terrible or ok to begin with.

I've gone and got myself a Garmin R10 and i've set up a screen using some heavy duty canvass type decorating sheet. I've also got some 1 inch dense foam and covered that with carpet to use as a hitting mat, which all seems to be working well. I also got a projector and link everything up so i can play E6.

Now for the actual golf, where i have some issues and strange happenings. To start, I was slicing everything, i'm practising with a 6 iron and all i want is straight shots that go where i'm aiming. I tried compensating in the swing, moving my stance and feet slightly over, moving the ball centre, off centre, left, right and i'm still slicing it, every single shot going right. So i watch 600 YouTube videos and they all say different things, not very helpful... Until, i see one where the bloke says to twist your grip, I'm right handed so my left hand needed to twist and extend fully when gripping the club, like i'm trying to turn the club face but without turning the club face (Hopefully that makes sense). So like the rest of the hints/tips i'm watching, i go an try it out and incredibly it works and i'm hitting straight shots, not all of them but a good 80% are going central, but... It feels completely alien, unnatural and sort of locks my left arm straight. So my question is, is this normal? is it normal to feel unnatural or have i come across some technique that i shouldn't be ingraining into my swing?

So, i put down the iron and i pick up the driver, using the same technique and the ball is going straight! But... I'm getting terrible distances, like 150 yards when i'm hitting the 6 iron around 120. What is that about? Forget the other problems with hitting under the ball 70% of the time (Which i need to figure out how high on the tee and what positon suits me so i hit it right). Surely if i'm hitting the ball with the same swing as the 6 iron and getting 120, i should be hitting the driver 200 yards on the odd occasion i hit it right?

Now the last issue, i've managed to pull a muscle in the right side of my rib cage, about 3 ribs up. Completely ruined my practise for the day as it proper hurts when i swing. Is this normal? Like my body getting used to swinging clubs.. Or am i doing something badly wrong that's going to cause injuries and an even worse swing than i already have?

Any help and advice completely welcome, especially the unnatural grip/lead arm locked straight thing.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 25172

Welcome! Both to the forum, but more importantly - to a life which from now on will be full of disappointment on a daily/weekly basis. Don't get me wrong, you'll experience plenty of highs from the golf as well, but just prepare yourself for the rollercoaster of emotions ahead of you if you get the bug properly.

Book a beginners package of lessons, like Neil here above already has said.

If it hurts, rest.

NayfGolf

Visit site
If I tried a full driver swing in a single garage I would almost certainly be damaging the walls, ceiling, club and myself.
It's just over 8ft wide, so I have to position myself to the right of the room and i don't hit the wall behind. Fortunately the ceiling is open trusses that go lengthways, so the driver goes between them by an inch or so. It helps that i'm 5ft 7.

NayfGolf

Visit site
Welcome! Both to the forum, but more importantly - to a life which from now on will be full of disappointment on a daily/weekly basis. Don't get me wrong, you'll experience plenty of highs from the golf as well, but just prepare yourself for the rollercoaster of emotions ahead of you if you get the bug properly.

Book a beginners package of lessons, like Neil here above already has said.

If it hurts, rest.
Thank you. Hahaha... I've already experienced highs and lows in just 5 days. I've gone from slicing every shot over 4 days and wondering why i have spent a grand, to doing that grip thing and hitting straight shots today, to pulling a muscle shortly after and hoping i don't lose it when i can practice again.

So get some lessons is the general consensus then

D

Deleted member 25172

Thank you. Hahaha... I've already experienced highs and lows in just 5 days. I've gone from slicing every shot over 4 days and wondering why i have spent a grand, to doing that grip thing and hitting straight shots today, to pulling a muscle shortly after and hoping i don't lose it when i can practice again.

Oh boy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes a few lessons on the basics then play as much as you can.

Just make sure you understand what the teacher is saying.
Dont just nod your head if you don’t understand what he/ she means.
They won’t mind you saying “ I don’t quite get that”

Then try to play with freedom not to many thoughts going around your head!
easier said than done 🤣

The last thing is the most important , just enjoy yourself!!!
good luck

NayfGolf

Visit site
UPDATE: I've not been able to play properly since I posted, looks like I've done some proper damage to my rib muscle. I've been in every day and took a couple of swings but can't even do a full swing without pain. I need to lay off it completely but i'm like a child with a new toy.

From watching endless vids on youtube, it looks like i had a seriously weak grip and was flicking at the ball (a common beginner). Once i changed to a strong grip it worked wonders. It also made me lean slightly right and felt like i'm looking behind the ball in set up rather than standing straight over it.

These are things (and other things) I assume a coach would sort out straight away. I've been looking at lessons, they all seem to cost roughly the same but i've got a lot of options. I'm based in Nuneaton, near coventry. Can anyone recommend a coach around here?

@clubchamp98 I'll find it hard to enjoy myself if i'm not progressing quickly. I'm the type of person that will get really into something, give it all my time and if i'm never going to be very good, i'll end up giving up and selling everything. I probably need a realistic handicap goal and time-frame. I want to be good enough to join a local club and give anyone a decent game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
UPDATE: I've not been able to play properly since I posted, looks like I've done some proper damage to my rib muscle. I've been in every day and took a couple of swings but can't even do a full swing without pain. I need to lay off it completely but i'm like a child with a new toy.

From watching endless vids on youtube, it looks like i had a seriously weak grip and was flicking at the ball (a common beginner). Once i changed to a strong grip it worked wonders. It also made me lean slightly right and felt like i'm looking behind the ball in set up rather than standing straight over it.

These are things (and other things) I assume a coach would sort out straight away. I've been looking at lessons, they all seem to cost roughly the same but i've got a lot of options. I'm based in Nuneaton, near coventry. Can anyone recommend a coach around here?

@clubchamp98 I'll find it hard to enjoy myself if i'm not progressing quickly. I'm the type of person that will get really into something, give it all my time and if i'm never going to be very good, i'll end up giving up and selling everything. I probably need a realistic handicap goal and time-frame. I want to be good enough to join a local club and give anyone a decent game.
Good luck with that.
Golf is not an easy game and kicks you where it hurts often. 🤢
Thats why we play.