Why Is Golf On The Decline?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I know this subject has been discussed loads of times, but, well what else have we got to do? ....Er well I'm off to work in a bit, so I've got something, but in the meantime I saw something on FB and went for a look at the site and for me pointed to EVERYTHING about why golf is on the decline.

Golf In Decline

1. Nothing on the site to indicate the cost of joining. So for a start that will put most golfers off as "If you have to ask the cost, you can't afford"
2. You need a seconder for your application. Huh, snooty lot. The remainder of golfers still looking would say.
3. Cost of a round. Oh yes they've put this in. 80 notes!!!! Thinking of taking up golf? 80 quid for a round of golf? Stuff that, possible new golfers would be thinking.
4. "Visitors are respectfully reminded of the expected traditional high standards of dress on the Panmure Course, Practice Grounds and in the Clubhouse rooms.
Please avoid embarrassing situations by following the Code, as no member of staff is permitted to allow any exception to this Code. Panmure staff members have the authority to decide on acceptable attire, following the descriptions below." From the clubs site itself !!!! Utterly ridiculous!!!!! The final nail in the coffin to those who have even got this far in to looking to play here. Sure, some golfers are ok with this stuff, and will go on to be nasty committee members in the future, if they already aren't, but does this really indicate a welcoming place? Does it nutz.
5. Fancy a pint afterwards? Hogan Lounge:- Panmure GC is famed for its tradition and values, and Council encourages the wearing of Jacket and Tie. AND Dalhousie Room :-Jacket and Tie must be worn by Gentlemen at all times, and commensurate non-golfing attire to be worn by Ladies." So that's that, not brought you jacket and tie? No beer or food either.

Now I realise that not everywhere is like this, thank God, but this for me definately is why golf will continue to decline. Stuffy, puffed up, well I can't put anymore, you know why. Reading Panmures golf site puts me off actually playing, so for anyone thinking of starting up the game.....they'd be put off for life and would take great pleasure of telling all their mates about what they had read and their mates would tell their mates and so on. Word of mouth is a powerful tool and this is why golf is in decline. No if's no but's. No arguements whatsoever.

GM can put out online articles and printed words about this sort of topic, but this is the reason for the decline of golf. The sooner places like this are removed form the golfing world the better.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
why would anyone thinking of starting golf be looking at Panmure? Surely most either start at a municipal, or at a commercial concern, rather than at a very traditional members club?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please don't do that. Just say, like me this morning, they were flicking though FB, and a link to Panmure came up, so their curiosity was aroused and they had a quick look. Suddenly all golf is tarred with the same brush. That's the problem!!!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything has a starting level and cheapest option. To use a private members club as a reason for golfs apparent decline is wrong.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So you're looking for a car
Your budget is 10 grand
The first car you see advertised is a Roller for 150k...
Do you give up looking for a car.? Of course.........:rolleyes:
If you were starting to play football would you give a Premier league club a call...?

There's little about Panmure that you won't find in many, many clubs up and down the land.
The Proposer/seconded thing is common and you can get around it - they have a system.
Smart casual in the bar, jacket/tie in the restaurant or equivalent is common.
And 80 quid a round is far from an over the top green fee these days.

I suspect there are many courses around Panmure that would fit the bill for a newbie.
If someone wants to take up the game, looks at Panmure and says " Nah" then they're either not looking very hard or golf isnt the game for them and they'll be away fairly soon.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think you have just picked an extreme and i'd imagine you would struggle to become a member at Pammure anyway, a very traditional old fashioned members club that i believe has a long waiting list to join... you could have picked somewhere more relaxed..... like Muirfield:ROFLMAO:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess you didn't see this in the two paragraphs before the wearing of jacket and tie???

"The 19th Hole is our more casual bar, an extension of the golf course if you will, for when a quick bite and warming pot of tea is the order of the day. Our only dress requirement is that you respectfully remove any headgear you were sporting on the course.

The Hogan Lounge is our largest reception room, with the elegant feel of a traditional gentleman’s club. A mixture of comfortable seating and relaxed dining makes it perfect for a leisurely lunch or simply a quiet sit down to peruse the newspaper. Tradition encourages the wearing of Jacket and Tie in this room, but “Smart Casual” golf wear and day shoes must be worn as a minimum, and more specifically shorts and waterproofs are not permitted."

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
i think you have just picked an extreme and i'd imagine you would struggle to become a member at Pammure anyway, a very traditional old fashioned members club that i believe has a long waiting list to join... you could have picked somewhere more relaxed..... like Muirfield:ROFLMAO:
Website says they have vacancies and you can get membership within 3 weeks......

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Website says they have vacancies and you can get membership within 3 weeks......
that is a suprise, used to be hard tio get in, had mate who lived in Broughty Ferry and he was on a waiting list for some time, he gave up and joined next door Monifieth, that was some time ago though

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Also from the Panmure website;

If you are drawn to us by our reputation and history and do not know a member, we would ask you to meet with our Membership Convener for an informal chat as above upon receipt of your completed application. Following this chat, membership will be confirmed within three weeks. If you have never enjoyed our Grand Links before, then we can also arrange a complimentary game for you with a Council member.

And if you're a member, you won't be paying 80 notes for a round, will you?

So not quite as difficult & stuffy as you would have us believe.

Have they turned you down, or have you forgotten your meds again?

Mandofred

Visit site
If the rules were still as "stuffy" as they were a few years before I moved back, I wouldn't have joined a club or probably played again. There are other things I can also do. Things are easing slowly, but older people in general don't like change (my opinion).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If the rules were still as "stuffy" as they were a few years before I moved back, I wouldn't have joined a club or probably played again. There are other things I can also do. Things are easing slowly, but older people in general don't like change (my opinion).

Older people in general like to maintain standards (my opinion). ;) (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I organised an outing to Panmure last summer, 16 people played.
Yes, it has a lounge that is shirt and tie but also a decent sized room where you can wear your golf gear enjoy their food and drinks.
I found the club very friendly and the course is superb.
been there twice on our Autm Jolly, both times we got a voucher to go back and play for half price and we didn't pay anywhere near £80 two years ago

DT2020

Visit site
If that's the clubs rules and joining criteria then that's up to them they can do what they want it's their club , I'm sure there will be a club around the corner that would welcome them , I remember when the spikeless golf shoes started to look a lot like trainers some of our committee members were in uproar it was funny watching them give your shoes dirty looks as you walked around the bar , and even funnier when you explained to them that you were wearing the latest in spikeless golf shoe technology

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If that's the clubs rules and joining criteria then that's up to them they can do what they want it's their club , I'm sure there will be a club around the corner that would welcome them , I remember when the spikeless golf shoes started to look a lot like trainers some of our committee members were in uproar it was funny watching them give your shoes dirty looks as you walked around the bar , and even funnier when you explained to them that you were wearing the latest in spikeless golf shoe technology
dead right in fact there is a course right next door (Monifieth)with a few clubs playing from it who would welcome you