Why Is Golf On The Decline?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So many balls in that lake! The course is too difficult for the majority of people who play there. One time we were playing there and 2 gulls were diving into the water to pick up balls, then flying up and dropping them from height on to the fairway. My mate and I just hoovered up dozens of balls. Never seen anything like it.
Haha, yeah modelling holes after famous major ones is a great idea, but when most of the traffic there is beginners having a muck about it doesn't quite work. We're never in a rush if we go there though so you take it for what it is.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would also ask how many golf clubs are attractive to youngsters. We have plenty of young kids up the club and that is fine as they are under the watchful eye of the pro. Once they reach an age when they need to start getting out on their own, golf clubs become very unwelcoming and intimidating. You look at other sports that can take a group of kids at junior level, coach them up through the ranks and they still come back as adults, even during and after university. Golf clubs seem to want to give kids a grounding in the game then do not want to see them again until they are 40.

Why do you say this? I don't understand? Golf clubs give cheap membership to those lads from 18-30, well most do. I've never played anywhere that is anti young players. Jealous maybe. LOL.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s some members of one club used as an example, I also put on link on this thread of a cheap, family club which positively encourages beginners.

We have two pros who coach little kids every week, take them around the shortened course etc

The problem is that golf is a boring & difficult game,
that people only play, and carry on playing, if the like it. Other sports are far more exciting and likely to attract and keep kids involved.

No way. Boring??? No, I'm not having that. Difficult? Hell yes. And that is a big problem. Kids, well 18-30's have been brought up with wanting everything at the click of the fingers. My grandson, now 18, has always had the attitude of if he cannot do (master) it immediately he gives up. They just do not want to grind it out and have the thrill of discovery as something finally clicks...but you don't know what LOL !!!!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Most clubs would benefit from stopping the stuffy and pointless rules and ditching the elitism.

Golf is growing in the US, sure there are a few clubs that are ultra stuffy, and power to them! But the majority have removed the "stuffy" rules paired up with the rise of Topgolf and interactive ranges/bars and they are onto a winner. Younger people are catching the bug, then going out with the boys to the course to drink outdoors/hit some shots.

I can't remember the last time I saw a cart girl in the UK driving round selling alcohol.

Edit ^ It was Woburn, absolutely fantastic and welcoming members.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most clubs would benefit from stopping the stuffy and pointless rules and ditching the elitism.

Golf is growing in the US, sure there are a few clubs that are ultra stuffy, and power to them! But the majority have removed the "stuffy" rules paired up with the rise of Topgolf and interactive ranges/bars and they are onto a winner. Younger people are catching the bug, then going out with the boys to the course to drink outdoors/hit some shots.

I can't remember the last time I saw a cart girl in the UK driving round selling alcohol.

Edit ^ It was Woburn, absolutely fantastic and welcoming members.
I think a lot of clubs are beginning to relax dress codes, get the sport on the TV and generally make the clubhouse more accessible. I also think, looking around the place, especially on a Saturday/Sunday morning the demographic age is coming down and so more people playing usually in a roll up and having a beer without so much of the cliquey issue. Certainly our roll ups are really inclusive and open to all so if younger golfers wanted to come and play they'd be welcome. That has to be the way forward, making ensure they are able to meet other golfers and can get a game at any time

Mandofred

Visit site
The VAST percentage of course in the US are public....the stuffiness just isn't there. But....getting on a public course is a whole lot different and a whole lot more cutthroat.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No way. Boring??? No, I'm not having that. Difficult? Hell yes. And that is a big problem. Kids, well 18-30's have been brought up with wanting everything at the click of the fingers. My grandson, now 18, has always had the attitude of if he cannot do (master) it immediately he gives up. They just do not want to grind it out and have the thrill of discovery as something finally clicks...but you don't know what LOL !!!!
For you to say golf isn't boring is an amazing lack of awareness. Obviously we don't think it's boring because we have the bug, but to someone who's never played? "Go and hit this little white ball around a field with some sticks for 4 hours" Yeah alright mate, sounds riveting.

Wolf

Visit site
For you to say golf isn't boring is an amazing lack of awareness. Obviously we don't think it's boring because we have the bug, but to someone who's never played? "Go and hit this little white ball around a field with some sticks for 4 hours" Yeah alright mate, sounds riveting.
Spot on with that reply, golf is boring to so many even to me sometimes and I like the game ?

Its like any sport if you don't play or like it already then its boring. I liken it to cricket as a sport, I cannot understand the enjoyment of watching it, playing it or anything about it. For me I'd rather watch paint dry but millions of people disagree and tell me I'm wrong its not boring.

Mandofred

Visit site
I have been competitive in several sports....the most seriously in running. But.....to watch people running a 10/marathon etc on tv? Ultimate in boring. I'll watch a few minutes of golf or snooker but can't watch more than that. If I can't control the outcome, it's not interesting to me. Watching other people having fun doesn't make sense to me unless I at least know them. A couple of times recently I've been channel surfing and found pool being played under timer....I think they had 15 seconds from the balls not moving....that made it a little more interesting (still boring though). When I was still coaching, that made it interesting because I was involved. I know there are plenty of people who can watch football match after match....I don't know how they do it.

i*windows

Visit site
Golf in Bavaria is on the rise, but it's not like golf at home(NE). Nearly all fourballs I see are mixed, the range is full of ladies practising, but not a lot of kids, mostly well to do over 50s. A round of golf on Sunday is a full day event for them, get to the course an hour or two before tee off, practise like mad, then a 5 hour round, followed by a meal and beers. The only time I ever play on Sunday is if we have a society comp. Otherwise I only ever play during the week, when we can get round in 3 to 4 hours.
When I play in the North East, I see very few mixed 4 balls, but I do see loads of kids playing, which is great.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thirteenth hole at one of my old courses was SI 1 an uphill long par 4 dogleg.
The green was 150 yards from the clubhouse.
I would estimate that one in four casual games finished there.

It would be interesting to here from members who know of other clubs where the 12th/13th/14th green is near to the clubhouse.
Longniddry, High Post, Tidworth are some I can think of?

Wolf

Visit site
The thirteenth hole at one of my old courses was SI 1 an uphill long par 4 dogleg.

It would be interesting to here from members who know of other clubs where the 12th/13th/14th green is near to the clubhouse.
My dad's course the 11th finishes next to the 1st tee. The 12th tee is adjacent so many people will merely play 12 through 18 as a quick 7 holes instead of playing a full round or even playing the front half.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The VAST percentage of course in the US are public....the stuffiness just isn't there. But....getting on a public course is a whole lot different and a whole lot more cutthroat.
Interesting that you say this. I've played quite a lot in Myrtle Beach (obviously a holiday golf hotspot) and also around Atlanta and always been able to book times without any problems via the internet sites. I've generally played in the afternoons when the courses are quieter but from what you are saying a morning teetime is difficult to get?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Enfield GC you walked off the 12th green, down the path, round the back or front of the clubhouse to get to the 13th tee
Studley Wood the 13th green is probably no more than 250 yards from the clubhouse

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only if the course is empty.:unsure:

I'm trying to figure out if hedge hoping might create issues when we get playing again.
Could make a mockery of spacing out tee times and potentially cause a bit of aggro.
Most places have a few ardent hedge hoppers and most do get in others way.
Could muck up contact tracing unless that is a mobile app, but some of the hoppers at our place aren't going to be on a mobile app.
Be interesting to see what final guidelines golf settles on when it comes back initially.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if hedge hoping might create issues when we get playing again.
Could make a mockery of spacing out tee times and potentially cause a bit of aggro.
Most places have a few ardent hedge hoppers and most do get in others way.
Could muck up contact tracing unless that is a mobile app, but some of the hoppers at our place aren't going to be on a mobile app.
Be interesting to see what final guidelines golf settles on when it comes back initially.

From seeing posts elsewhere on social media, I would have a slight concern about non members trying to get on the course. There are a lot of non member golfers starting to realise that, just because courses are opening does not mean that they are going to get to play with a number of courses specifying members only etc. At the moment they are convinced that clubs will be desperate for their money to make up for lost revenue but if it appears that it will be members only for much of the summer on courses they would normally pay and play, there could be incidents.

Mandofred

Visit site
Interesting that you say this. I've played quite a lot in Myrtle Beach (obviously a holiday golf hotspot) and also around Atlanta and always been able to book times without any problems via the internet sites. I've generally played in the afternoons when the courses are quieter but from what you are saying a morning teetime is difficult to get?
I've been out of the US for the last 5 years, but I am assuming the area I was in is the same. I have a friend back in the Spokane Washington area that says you really got to get on it if you want a tee time earlier in the day (before 2pm). When I left you could call within a week to book a time and you needed to do as soon as possible to get anything in the mornings. I tend to wake up early so I would just go to the course at 6am or so and get around in 2 hours or so. There were always a couple of old guys with their own carts that would beat me there and I couldn't keep up with them. They would play in about 1 1/2 hrs....every morning. I just checked the prices yesterday wondering what they were.....mid $30's now for the city courses. Then again you have this local area course https://www.golfcda.com/the-course/ which I never played.....I doubt I would even spend $30 to play golf anyway. My favorite course in the area was Qualchan....a nice city course. Here are the 4 city courses in Spokane https://static.spokanecity.org/docu...lf-the-best-of-beautiful-spokane-brochure.pdf....all pretty decent courses and were only mid $20's when I left.....prices have gone up as usual.