Office Attire

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have worn a suit, shirt and tie to work every day for over forty years and it would make me feel uncomfortable not to.
Fortunately I love ties and own about sixty.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I take the view that if you can't be bothered to take care to dress with care (i.e. clean and presentable not necessarily formal) there's little chance you'll bring any more care/professionalism to your work.

If I lined up the hundreds of people who had worked for me over the years in a line ranging from scruffy to 'smart' I reckon the 'problems' would be focussed at one end !!

A rather outmoded approach, no? I work in a high performing organisation in which the dress code when not dealing with external people is whatever you are comfortable with and nobody thinks it affects performance in any way but positively. Any modern organisation that is about outcomes and delivery won't care too much about dress code.

U

User62651

A rather outmoded approach, no? I work in a high performing organisation in which the dress code when not dealing with external people is whatever you are comfortable with and nobody thinks it affects performance in any way but positively. Any modern organisation that is about outcomes and delivery won't care too much about dress code.

+1, modern progressive companies with great CEOs like Google and Patagonia are showing the way - happy employees equates to high productivity.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
We don't have a dress code so I opted for jeans and shirt. Shirts are just so much easier than anything else, a good default for people like me who like to get it wrong.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm still wearing shorts to work! Just shows how mild a winter we've had. Normally Nov-March trackie bottoms

Obvs I don't work in an office :)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm still wearing shorts to work! Just shows how mild a winter we've had. Normally Nov-March trackie bottoms

Obis I don't work in an office :)
But you still work inside though.
This winter has been colder this year. FACT! Tuesday night it got to -2 plus windchill.

No office for me, attire for work is full orange PPE. (Work trousers, over trousers, boots, thermal T-shirt, wind blocker top, bomber jacket, waistcoat, woolly hat and a snood. All topped off by my helmet and head torch!)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm now in my 3rd corporate gig - as the main contact between the client and the company I'm pretty used to wearing suits! Previous 2 jobs were also suit and shirt in the office, tie on when seeing clients. Now at a huge global enterprise, but its just any collar and semi smart shoes, usually jeans which was surprising to me. However, as all my clients are lawyers its full suit on whenever I am out and about!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
But you still work inside though.
This winter has been colder this year. FACT! Tuesday night it got to -2 plus windchill.

No office for me, attire for work is full orange PPE. (Work trousers, over trousers, boots, thermal T-shirt, wind blocker top, bomber jacket, waistcoat, woolly hat and a snood. All topped off by my helmet and head torch!)

Erm, for the UK it's been the 3rd warmest since 1910, for Engalnd and Wales the warmest and December was the warmest on record since 1659. :eek: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2016/winter

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Work in the NHS and so can wear smart casual, even when dealing with candidates. Tend to just wear golf gear. I do put a suit on for interviewing as I am just old school and feel it creates a better impression.