do you bother??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we go out to a restaurant, I would normally wear T-shirt(with collar), trousers, shoes and jumper.

Other than a wedding last year, when necessary at golf courses, and a formal Christmas party/evening/dinner, I think I haven't wore a suit or a jacket for ages for any other reason.

When I was much younger, I once turned up to an wedding evening wearing a cardigan, when I walked in and everyone was wearing suits/formal wear, I have to say I did feel very uncomfortable and never made that mistake again :embarrassed:
You think that's bad, a guest at our actual wedding ceremony last year wore a suit jacket and trousers with a plain white t-shirt, and promptly took his jacket off at the meal part of the day as well, so in effect was just sat in a t-shirt surrounded by people in shirts and ties. I thought he looked a right pleb, not sure how he got it so wrong.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You think that's bad, a guess at our actual wedding ceremony last year wore a suit jacket and trousers with a plain white t-shirt, and promptly took his jacket off at the meal part of the day as well, so in effect was just sat in a t-shirt surrounded by people in shirts and ties. I thought he looked a right pleb, not sure how he got it so wrong.
a genuine drop in standards and whats right and wrong, how to behave now days. i went to a funeral a few weeks ago and one of the pallbearer's was wearing a tee shirt and jeans, his mother wan't happy, but could care less

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
a genuine drop in standards and whats right and wrong, how to behave now days. i went to a funeral a few weeks ago and one of the pallbearer's was wearing a tee shirt and jeans, his mother wan't happy, but could care less
Some people must just be clueless. I mean, with restaurants as we've discussed, it can be open to many variables, but I'd have thought most fellers know to wear a shirt and tie for weddings and funerals. And if you were in doubt due to no prior experience, you could just Google it on your phone nowadays! "What does one wear at a wedding" - simple. I think people are more scared of being over-dressed than under-dressed, so rather than erring on the side of caution, the err on the side of casualness instead.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO. Being smart (not OTT fashionistas) is part of having pride in oneself and the people you are with. Sadly there seems to be a lack of pride or respect creeping into most areas.

SWMBO would have my guts for garters were I to attempt to go out with her in less than smart casual !!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Went out for dinner last night with the wife to a nice restaurant, not a cheap place quite smart and expensive.

maybe 20 other couples there, only one other apart from us who looked smart TBH and made any effort. i only had a shirt and jacket and the wife a dress, so not suit and tie, but there were guys with tee shirts and scruffy jeans and trainers wives not much better. even a few older couples who had made no effort either.

so if you go out with your Wife/Partner/ other half do you make an effort or would you just turn up like you were just nipping to the pub ?

We like to tidy ourselves up - and I think that for many eateries - if not all - we individually should consider that others eating it might be a special occasion and so sitting beside smelly scruffs might spoil their meal. Life's not all about what we want.

We certainly made a good bit of an effort when we recently had lunch at the Witchery by Castle in Edinburgh. A special meal - a special place - and so it was nice to tidy ourselves up for us to feel a little bit special for the afternoon.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We like to tidy ourselves up - and I think that for many eateries - if not all - we individually should consider that others eating it might be a special occasion and so sitting beside smelly scruffs might spoil their meal. Life's not all about what we want.

We certainly made a good bit of an effort when we recently had lunch at the Witchery by Castle in Edinburgh. A special meal - a special place - and so it was nice to tidy ourselves up for us to feel a little bit special for the afternoon.
last time we were in there it was full of scruffy yanks in Jeans and Trainers