Jacket & Tie

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn’t say they were connected. Some require it, some don’t ....I just said that if the course was good enough, it seems churlish to have a huff about smartening up for the meeting.
you clearly made a link between wearing a jacket and tie and getting into a decent course. It’s not churlish as it reveals something about the mindset of the club IMO. Hypothetically, it maybe a decent course but lacking as a club if neck wear is so important?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess that’s my point....would you really refuse to play Sunningdale as they want you to wear a tie after?

But, of course, that is your right
Playing somewhere & joining clearly aren’t the same thing. I’ll stick a tie on for sunningdale, as a one off but I’m not joining the place (pretty sure they wouldn’t have me)
I don’t want to spend my leisure time in an atmosphere of formality.
Not sure about the link between a tie & standards especially when most other areas of life have done away with the need. I’m not sure why anyone would want to perpetuate this?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t see anything wrong with a club setting high standards. I wouldn’t dream of turning up for any kind of interview without looking smart. I like the traditions of golf and the jacket and tie interview, no hats inside are part of that in my opinion. Most clubs are pretty relaxed these days though. The long standing, historical or more expensive ones are still holding onto these traditions and high standards and I look forward to it.
Those of us that are lucky enough to be playing Sunningdale in a couple of months will no doubt be applauding the traditions and history in there. Would that be the case if the halls were full of pictures of the members in jeans and caps with their feet up on the furniture?
I say we hold onto some of these little traditions.
It’s odd, I slightly resent being told what to wear off the course but I’m up for a dress code in it?? Does that make me a hypocrite?? Not sure. It’s not an absolute, you can be ‘smart’ without putting on a tie. For the last 4 years we can wear jeans in the club house, I’ve done it once, Armageddon didn’t happen.
Golf clubs do seem to be the last refuge of unnecessary rules

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t see anything wrong with a club setting high standards. I wouldn’t dream of turning up for any kind of interview without looking smart. I like the traditions of golf and the jacket and tie interview, no hats inside are part of that in my opinion. Most clubs are pretty relaxed these days though. The long standing, historical or more expensive ones are still holding onto these traditions and high standards and I look forward to it.
Those of us that are lucky enough to be playing Sunningdale in a couple of months will no doubt be applauding the traditions and history in there. Would that be the case if the halls were full of pictures of the members in jeans and caps with their feet up on the furniture?
I say we hold onto some of these little traditions.

Maybe it's the historical aspect rather than standards and costs
I'm lucky enough to regularly play a couple of European tour standard courses with rock-up green fees between 150-200 and I can wear shorts a flip flops in the clubhouse for lunch while paying 12 quid for a small glass of wine or £14 for a burger

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe it's the historical aspect rather than standards and costs
I'm lucky enough to regularly play a couple of European tour standard courses with rock-up green fees between 150-200 and I can wear shorts a flip flops in the clubhouse for lunch while paying 12 quid for a small glass of wine or £14 for a burger
What about dress codes on the course? Are they stipulated?

The whole jacket & tie thing seems to be U.K. specific. When challenged the only response is ‘standards’, whatever that is?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What about dress codes on the course? Are they stipulated?

The whole jacket & tie thing seems to be U.K. specific. When challenged the only response is ‘standards’, whatever that is?

Both are attached to 5 star resorts, I've never seen it printed other than golf attire and never seen anyone wear anything else
I'm posting from a clubhouse right now sitting in shorts and golf shoes with golf shirt
Lunch of a snack with a drink (or two) will cost me the thick end of 20 quid
If I was a tourist the green fee would be about 160 quid
The course will be a tour venue in the coming years and often flys chefs in from round the world to do special menus
Standards are high in the clubhouse, the course standards are very high with around 25 full time greens staff plus same again in manual labourers for off course maintenance (the rough and planted areas)
Debenture costs circa 35k and no jacket /tie required

Edit :I should add, I'm not a member and today I was just here using the range for a couple of hours

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Playing somewhere & joining clearly aren’t the same thing. I’ll stick a tie on for sunningdale, as a one off but I’m not joining the place (pretty sure they wouldn’t have me)
I don’t want to spend my leisure time in an atmosphere of formality.
Not sure about the link between a tie & standards especially when most other areas of life have done away with the need. I’m not sure why anyone would want to perpetuate this?
Do you think there is any correlation between fewer people wearing ties and falling standards? ;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Wearing a jacket and tie doesn’t change my personality. My society wear a jacket and tie, but we still have a lot of laughs. No stuffy atmosphere. It is the members, not what they wear that makes a club atmosphere.

We allow jeans in the clubhouse, but don’t think I have ever seen anyone wear them. If I go up to the club for a drink, I change out of jeans.

Think a lot of people just love something to moan at. Pull down your jeans and slide on the ice.(y)

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our society members wear jacket and society tie. If the club we are visiting has a no jacket rule some of the guys go without but not all. We have a wide range of ages who all join in the banter and come along to play golf, have a nice meal and enjoy each other's company.