Jacket & Tie

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think for me it depends on when it was. If it was after work, say, I'd turn up in what I was wearing, likely jeans, trainers, polo and possibly a wool blazer type jacket.

If I went home first I'd maybe pop on a pair of chinos instead, but I wouldn't put a tie on, I don't see the point. People don't need them anymore, they are an antiquated fashion accessory.

Just ask them questions, don't wait for them to ask you. You want to know as much as you can about them, THATS the important thing, because then YOU can decide whether you want to join or not. Make a list of all the things you want to know, take it out when you sit down infront of them and ask them to tell you about the place, ask them why you should join there etc

Then sit back and let them sell it to you :)

User20204

Visit site
I have just recently joined a club and had to go for an interview although It turned out to be just a chat about the club and other bits of information! Was told to dress smart casual so pair of chinos and a shirt was fine!

That sounds more like a new members introduction than a "wear a jacket and tie" meeting.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think for me it depends on when it was. If it was after work, say, I'd turn up in what I was wearing, likely jeans, trainers, polo and possibly a wool blazer type jacket.

If I went home first I'd maybe pop on a pair of chinos instead, but I wouldn't put a tie on, I don't see the point. People don't need them anymore, they are an antiquated fashion accessory.

Just ask them questions, don't wait for them to ask you. You want to know as much as you can about them, THATS the important thing, because then YOU can decide whether you want to join or not. Make a list of all the things you want to know, take it out when you sit down infront of them and ask them to tell you about the place, ask them why you should join there etc

Then sit back and let them sell it to you :)
Don't over do it. There are still many clubs (particularly ones with good courses) which aren't short of members

JGolfer

Visit site
Hope the ‘interview’ goes well. Please be good enough to let us know how it went and the outcome?

How much are fees at the club involved please?

I'll post how it goes for sure.

The club we are interviewing for isn't my first or second choice. But my playing parrner didn't like my two preferred choices so we have compromised here.

The fees are usually £1200 but first year is around 50% discounted. Which I think has influenced my him a lot sadly.

We are only really joining for handicaps since whenever we play I'm 9 up after 9 and it's dormie. Which gets rather boring.

But the social aspect would be nice. Rather than playing with the same sod over and over again!

User20204

Visit site
£1200 fees and they are asking you to wear a jacket and tie ? I expected around £12,000 fees with an interview of jacket and tie.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Long time ago that I had my interview. I think I wore golfing sort of attire. Jacket and tie for me is ridiculous.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Ah yes the dreaded golf interview. I had mine 3 years ago, it was the first time I'd joined a club!. Guy who was "interviewing" me was a member of the board. Put on a shirt and some trousers and headed for the club.

Meets the chap in the bar who precedes to buy me a drink, chat for a bit about me golf and the club, then he asked when I like to play, informs me when all fiddles go out and says he will have a word with Bob who runs the one at 8am so he can look after me. We have a few more drinks chat about golf then I go home.

Dam them stuffy golf interviews!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I see similar discussions re job interviews.... Arnold Palmer said he always followed dress codes as it showed respect for the game, other people and your surroundings.

I am not arguing with Mr Palmer. :)
You forgot the "Sir" at the end.....(y):LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it's a simple case of do what you need to do to get in and then see how the land lies form there. I think a few hours in a jacket and tie is a small compromise to ensure getting in to a club you will enjoy playing at. Play the game, be polite, nod in the right places, pay your cash and go from there. Yes it can be a pain the bum to get suited and booted especially if you don't have said attire but look at it as a means to an end. You'll be fine

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
When I went for my interview to get in P&K I wore chinos ,smart shoes ,a smart polo and a nice jumper job done they actually said what your wearing is perfect! don’t stress it’s only a golf club not job interview .

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends how highly ranked the club is and how much you want in?

While it seems overkill, it also shows they are trying to uphold a certain level of class, it shows confidence in their brand and I bet if you do some digging around it will have a decent strong membership and in turn financial stability.

I would make the effort to pop up pre interview for a pint / coffee, they may be asking for a level of atire for an interview but you may find behind closed doors it’s very relaxed.

I love their approach and I’m only in my 30’s so far from stuck in the past

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Depends how highly ranked the club is and how much you want in?

While it seems overkill, it also shows they are trying to uphold a certain level of class, it shows confidence in their brand and I bet if you do some digging around it will have a decent strong membership and in turn financial stability.

I would make the effort to pop up pre interview for a pint / coffee, they may be asking for a level of attire for an interview but you may find behind closed doors it’s very relaxed.

I love their approach and I’m only in my 30’s so far from stuck in the past

I agree...and I'd swap the word "class" for "tradition"........

User20204

Visit site
I agree...and I'd swap the word "class" for "tradition"........

I would like to think I'm a golfing traditionalist, with good knowledge of the games history and values. How one should conduct oneself on and off the course, respectful of all around however, men in blazers sipping G'n'Ts while forming an opinion of you dependant on your attire is somewhat of a bygone era, not that is what this club are doing but it may well give that impression.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I just wore a shirt tie and a dress coat, if its sunny I'd just go with a shirt and tie no jacket, as long as you make the effort they won't think twice plus they nodoubt need your money

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is one reason why I never attempted to join a private club. I'm seriously asthmatic and can't bear to wear a tie.
It's another barrier they put up to keep out undesirables.
On the other hand I had no trouble in joining a local municipal course in the 1990's.

D

Deleted Member 1156

This is one reason why I never attempted to join a private club. I'm seriously asthmatic and can't bear to wear a tie.
It's another barrier they put up to keep out undesirables.
On the other hand I had no trouble in joining a local municipal course in the 1990's.
By 'undesirables' do you mean people who are not prepared to abide by and respect the clubs rules?

U

User62651

For 'jacket and tie' think of what Mr Bean wears, that's what they're looking for.

b495c7369a30a1580e10e0c76bc3912d.jpg

If you're looking to not spend money visit local charity shops, full of these kinds of blazer jackets and ties for a one-off like this membership interview.