GM Top 100 rankings - live Q&A today 1-3pm

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers for that

Ah right that's quite interesting because if you talk to a lot of the members they believe the upgrade of the clubhouse has moved it towards a corporate club and less a members club and the atmosphere being poor ( bar closing at 7 when members are still there etc )

Must feel different for a visitor arriving

Im guessing the new short game facility wasn't in place when the assessment was done

Cant say Id agree, feels very very corporate these days and not the most enjoyable of post round drinks these days imho

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Cheers for that
Ah right that's quite interesting because if you talk to a lot of the members they believe the upgrade of the clubhouse has moved it towards a corporate club and less a members club and the atmosphere being poor ( bar closing at 7 when members are still there etc )
Must feel different for a visitor arriving
Im guessing the new short game facility wasn't in place when the assessment was done
I can see that from a members' perspective but it defintely made it a better experience for visitors - very polished and welcoming
new short game facility wil only help the case next time round

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can see that from a members' perspective but it defintely made it a better experience for visitors - very polished and welcoming
new short game facility wil only help the case next time round

depends what you are looking for I guess, that or you get a very different welcome to the rest of us. Feels very clinical and almost aloof every time Im there, even if as a members guest

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me, I like to be welcomed as a member for the day and many courses do that unfortunately the larger the venue the harder it is for them to do, the Belfry being an example but they do as well as they can. I will say that Muirfield has that member for the day experience IMO, you never feel out of place in the clubhouse or on the course at all, great venue and the lunch, it has to be experienced.

A round at Muirfield without lunch is a missed experience.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me, I like to be welcomed as a member for the day and many courses do that unfortunately the larger the venue the harder it is for them to do, the Belfry being an example but they do as well as they can. I will say that Muirfield has that member for the day experience IMO, you never feel out of place in the clubhouse or on the course at all, great venue and the lunch, it has to be experienced.

Until this year i would have agreed with you Martin. We went a at the end of Oct and was served the smallest piece of roast beef you could imagine. when i questioned the extremely surly Chef she said there were other diners to come... which there weren't!!!

The other times we have been you are given a nice couple of slices of Sirloin, not sure what this was but not worth the £25, but maybe that was because we were with a member the last time.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Until this year i would have agreed with you Martin. We went a at the end of Oct and was served the smallest piece of roast beef you could imagine. when i questioned the extremely surly Chef she said there were other diners to come... which there weren't!!!

The other times we have been you are given a nice couple of slices of Sirloin, not sure what this was but not worth the £25, but maybe that was because we were with a member the last time.

worrying to hear! did you have the tempura vegetables and which pudding did you have

PS the member for a day notion that Val highlights is, in our view, absoloutely what clubs should strive towards delivering and then be recognised for

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
worrying to hear! did you have the tempura vegetables and which pudding did you have

PS the member for a day notion that Val highlights is, in our view, absoloutely what clubs should strive towards delivering and then be recognised for

Mike it would be easier to tell you which pudding i didn't have;)

The roast beef thing was a real disappointment as the last 3 times its been excellent, two of those were with a member, and the staff in the dinning room were much friendlier those times.

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Was a special day that Val and the lunch topped it off great.
Sorry to read of Patrick's experience but they couldn't have given me more food.
I loosened my belt a notch when I walked into the dining room :D.
Will also say North Berwick the day before made us feel equally at home, really adds to the experience stuff like that.

Great thread this, thanks to Mike, Jezz and Rob for their input.
Always look forward to the top 100 edition - and the debate it sparks :thup:

S

Snelly

its all about the lunch snelly;)

Absolutely!

For example, in my own personal golf course ranking system, the Berkshire (where I am playing tomorrow), is massively penalised because quite unbelievably, they serve a perfect rare rib of roast beef..................with bought in Yorkshire puddings?!?!?!?!?

Whoever makes this decision must be partially insane. I have rebuked the chef on this point on every occasion I have visited but to no avail. They still persist with Aunt Bessies and it is borderline criminal. How hard can it be to make a decent batter and use one of the spare ovens to knock up a few dozen puds? Not very is the answer.

In my list of top courses, this costs the Berkshire at least ten places.

I think that the "Do you make your own Yorkshire puddings" question is without doubt a classic litmus test of a course's standing. That along with, can members walk their dog when playing non-competition rounds? And lastly, do the club provide decent towels for members and guests?

If the answer to these is all a resounding yes then you can be 99% sure that you are at a proper golf club that understands the needs of it's members and visitors.. Some examples: Sunningdale, West Sussex, West Hill, Hankley Common, St Georges Hill and I could go on...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nice to hear, a member-for-the-day feel is certainly what the club consciously sets out to achieve.

The Secretary took time out to come and have a chat with us at your place Ian, very welcoming man and really made us feel that the club wanted us to be there. Other clubs should take a leaf out of his book!!

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
mmmmm. great read this am! Do have to query the welcome of the club as a choice as looking at number 1 ranked course Muirfield if you want to play as a visitor you are not allowed out as two ball and in the mornings 4 ball only. afternoon 4 some (alternate shots)!

I am sorry but if you are paying £110 (winter) to £210 a round that in my opinion is not good deal and for the amateur golfer has put me off! On that subject I don't think I will ever get the chance to play most of the top courses due to the price which is a real shame!

However will carry on playing in and around the uk at good quality affordable courses that a not in the top 200 ( southerness comes to mind as one)

Last edited:

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
mmmmm. great read this am! Do have to query the welcome of the club as a choice as looking at number 1 ranked course Muirfield if you want to play as a visitor you are not allowed out as two ball and in the mornings 4 ball only. afternoon 4 some (alternate shots)!

I am sorry but if you are paying £110 (winter) to £210 a round that in my opinion is not good deal and for the amateur golfer has put me off! On that subject I don't think I will ever get the chance to play most of the top courses due to the price which is a real shame!

However will carry on playing in and around the uk at good quality affordable courses that a not in the top 200 ( southerness comes to mind as one)

Their club, their rules though and they don't have any shortage of takers for it. You have to consider the mindset that Muirfield members have as well, their game of choice is foursomes all the time (I think it only changes in Tues and Thurs morn for visitors) and they like to think of a day there as being 2.5 hrs, 2.5 hrs, 2.5 hrs (round of golf, dinner, round of golf). I've even heard one saying that Muirfield is the best dining club in the UK...... which also has a really nice golf course!

Personally, I'd jump at the chance to play there. Never knock it till you've tried it and all that.

Also, pretty sure Southerness made the Next 100?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers Duckster: Stand corrected did not see southerness on the list but yep there they are :) maybe next year when my handicap keep falling will consider playing Muirfield with my Scottish friends (as a 4 ball) or my numbers come up on Saturday haha

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
We're very lucky to have some remarkable front of house staff.

Ian you have one of the very best secretaries in the business in Chris Spencer - a top bloke. Mind you he took over from one of my other favourites John Douglass who is now at Liphook

a good sec/manager and house staff make a huge difference

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I am talking about the 14th, a par 3 that seems to lose the links characteristics of the rest of the course. I also think 13 is probably a slightly unfair hole for all but the best of golfers.

17 is a little incongruous, but I don't mind 18 even though I chopped it up there in 7 or 8 last time I played!

I think the 13th at RCD is one of the greatest holes in golf!