GM Top 100 - a year in....

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Who pays the green fee or is it all complimentary golf?

Also when is the next edition out and do the "raters" play a full 18 holes at every venue?

If an assessor (whether its a GM staffer or a member of our reader panel) is visiting on official business to review for the Top 100 then are offered courtesy of the course. If they want to take a guest for company then they would pay GF. all our reader panel foot thier own expenses - ie travel and food/drinks on the day

however I’ve paid green fees (whether its a visitor GF when playing courses as part of my annual boys golf tour or a member's guest GF) several times this year and a number of assessments will be carried out in the process of a panelists playing in an open competitions, club match etc

rankings are every two years - next set published this time next year

and yes always a full round

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Got to love a top 100 debate :rofl:

One of the best threads on the forum this year was when Mike and Jezz did a Q&A on why courses did and didn't make the top 100, very interest to hear views particularly of courses I rate highly that didn't make it (Glasgow Gailes, Dundonald, Archerfield to name a few) and why those I though we're just OK did get in (West Lancs, Brabazon, Hillside ;) )

Everyone has differing opinions that's what makes these debates so good.

Royal Liverpool ahead of Trump Aberdeen and indeed Royal Aberdeen PMSL.

I could debate the merit of the top 100 for a year. Wish it had been dry today as I wouldn't have been stuck in laughing at the internet!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Royal Liverpool ahead of Trump Aberdeen and indeed Royal Aberdeen PMSL.

I could debate the merit of the top 100 for a year. Wish it had been dry today as I wouldn't have been stuck in laughing at the internet!

Remember the criteria my man, facilities formed part. Trump had no real clubhouse and RA has no range hence why Royal Liverpool is above it, I agree as a golf course and nothing else both are in a different league to Royal Liverpool

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Remember the criteria my man, facilities formed part. Trump had no real clubhouse and RA has no range hence why Royal Liverpool is above it, I agree as a golf course and nothing else both are in a different league to Royal Liverpool

Stupid me.

Facilities and ambience! Huge factors in where I chose to play.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I didn't think you'd be first to bite :rofl:

Ok, I'll try another way. It's ok but it's no Formby ;)

(That will get him if he appears)

Formby?! Just about good enough to keep/graze goats on... did nowt for me. is that good enough of a bite?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If an assessor (whether its a GM staffer or a member of our reader panel) is visiting on official business to review for the Top 100 then are offered courtesy of the course. If they want to take a guest for company then they would pay GF. all our reader panel foot thier own expenses - ie travel and food/drinks on the day

however I’ve paid green fees (whether its a visitor GF when playing courses as part of my annual boys golf tour or a member's guest GF) several times this year and a number of assessments will be carried out in the process of a panelists playing in an open competitions, club match etc

rankings are every two years - next set published this time next year

and yes always a full round

Facilities (10 marks)
Away from the golf, we look at the clubhouse and its facilities; the changing rooms, decor, the views from inside and out. Is the catering good and does it offer something for different tastes and different times of the day?
Does the club’s website provide useful information, what are the practice facilities like, and is there anything the visiting golfer would expect that is missing?

Read more at http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/courses/top-100-courses/top-100-criteria-60844#dgGBoMPDQXgqxETe.99

So what happens if your testers don't buy food? How do you rate it then?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only managed to tick off 15 but added 5 of them this year

Bearwood Lakes 81
The Berkshire (Red) 43
Lough Erne 78
Sligo
West Hill 85

Ive got more 3 already lined up for next year on our Ireland trip.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only managed to tick off 15 but added 5 of them this year

Bearwood Lakes 81
The Berkshire (Red) 43
Lough Erne 78
Sligo
West Hill 85

Ive got more 3 already lined up for next year on our Ireland trip.
What were your thoughts on Sligo, i loved it great course, tough but fair. Where are you playing next year as we are going back again but thinking of playing Tralee, Dooks and Dingle

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the list id swap Sligo with Machrihanish ,I've played both and love both but Sligo is miles ahead in every category ,IMO, plus id swap Ladybank with my place Scotscraig, i like Ladybank but don't get why its rated so high.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've just checked the list and, after nearly 50yrs golfing, I've only played 15 of the top 100. Still not done Birkdale and Troon, two up near the top of my bucket list.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to love a top 100 debate :rofl:

One of the best threads on the forum this year was when Mike and Jezz did a Q&A on why courses did and didn't make the top 100, very interest to hear views particularly of courses I rate highly that didn't make it (Glasgow Gailes, Dundonald, Archerfield to name a few) and why those I though we're just OK did get in (West Lancs, Brabazon, Hillside ;) )

Everyone has differing opinions that's what makes these debates so good.

I liked Hillside. There again I did pick up a few quid. I agree it's an interesting debate concerning some of the ones outside the top 100 but "bubbling under". For a start I'd definitely have Blackmoor in the top 100 as I would North Hants.

Sheffieldhacker

Club Champion
Visit site
I've played hallamshire which is in the top 100 in England. Hollinwell I think is my favourite course, loved it there. Moortown was very good when I played it

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

Up to 21 now - hopefully tick a few off next year