The best fun courses in Britain and Ireland?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
St Andrew’s Castle course. Quite possibly the most fun I’ve had on a golf course in years.
Multiple choices on every tee. Most landing zones are out of sight behind very cleverly built mounds. Several “infinity” greens. And one of the best late par 3’s in the UK.

Probably not for the Links purist, but if you’re after a gorgeous course, not overly long, fantastic views and incredibly contoured greens then I haven’t played that many better.
Old post but to comment
I would say the Castle course does not really fit my idea of a fun course, which to me is a course you can enjoy when playing badly. I liked the Castle course but would have found it a real grind if I had not been playing well.

Visit site
West Sussex. Lock thread.

I haven't really been able to put my finger on it, but i've played West Sussex twice and found it to be rather underwhelming. There are too many ordinary holes and yet not many holes which jump out as being particularly special either!

It's relatively poorly conditioned compared to most Surrey heathland courses as well. I will say it probably has some of the most brutal heather i've experienced though.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I haven't really been able to put my finger on it, but i've played West Sussex twice and found it to be rather underwhelming. There are too many ordinary holes and yet not many holes which jump out as being particularly special either!

It's relatively poorly conditioned compared to most Surrey heathland courses as well. I will say it probably has some of the most brutal heather i've experienced though.

I agree with this. I preferred 3 x W's, New Zealand and Swinley is another level. Also can't put my finger on it, it just didn't wow me like the others.

In terms of fun courses, Swinley Forest, Cleeve Hill and Brancepeth Castle for me. Could play them all day, every day and not get bored.

D-S

Visit site
In terms of fun courses, Swinley Forest, Cleeve Hill and Brancepeth Castle for me. Could play them all day, every day and not get bored.
I agree with these choices, I would add Painswick to this. All these are pure golf in a very natural setting that doesn’t beat you up, despite their differering conditioning and membership.
I remember playing Cleeve with a few friends last year - course condition was mostly irrelevant as we all had a smile on our faces afterwards and a fun memory.

sunshine

Visit site
Most fun: links on a good day. Lovely day at the seaside 😎
Least fun: links on a bad day. Nowhere to hide when it's lashing down with rain and the wind is whipping into you at 50mph 😱

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll add Eyemouth and Magdalene fields to the ongoing list. Clearing the cavernous cliffs on the 6th was a thrill never to be forgotten. And paring the longest hole in Scotland is another great memory.