The best fun courses in Britain and Ireland?

The Lion

Visit site
I'm away from the 30th Aug until 5th Sept. Its our autumn jolly down to courses down in the central belt. Ladybank, Alyth, Kirriemuir, Stathmore and Blairgowrie.

Sounds like a great list! I'll keeep you posted anyway and we'll see what we can do. May also come back for a week end of Sept for the Moray Open too. Not sure yet...

D

Deleted member 21258

Played Llanymynech yesterday and stand by my recommendation as a fun course. Up and down, great views, amazing tees. Dont think I'd get bored of playing it.

The views from 12th tee, are stunning and a course that normally drains well in winter.

Did you manage to drive the 15th and stay on the green ?:) As you say a good fun course.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The views from 12th tee, are stunning and a course that normally drains well in winter.

Did you manage to drive the 15th and stay on the green ?:) As you say a good fun course.

I didn't, I caught one right out of the toe and feared it was lost. The camber of the fairway meant I actually found it right in the middle about 20 yards short on a little plateau. An easy pitch on and 2 putt par.

The Lion

Visit site
Sounds like a great list! I'll keeep you posted anyway and we'll see what we can do. May also come back for a week end of Sept for the Moray Open too. Not sure yet...

I'm away from the 30th Aug until 5th Sept. Its our autumn jolly down to courses down in the central belt. Ladybank, Alyth, Kirriemuir, Stathmore and Blairgowrie.

Hope you’re enjoying your annual jolly! I’m in the Highlands now and have completed my trip up around the top. Soon heading for Nairn to play in the open at Dunbar on 3rd, then Fraserburgh.

Could be free after 5th for a game somewhere. Depends on what your schedule is like. Enjoy your golf ⛳

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play Appleby today and can heartily recommend it.

Inland links with views to die for and a great 'flow' to it. Its relatively short and has no par 5s but a lot of great par 4s.

Also Heaton Park. Its my regular course and is certainly quirky. There's about 10 blind tee shots and some big ravines to carry off the tee.

Even though its only 5750 yards, it's definitely the toughest walk around a course that I know.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hope you’re enjoying your annual jolly! I’m in the Highlands now and have completed my trip up around the top. Soon heading for Nairn to play in the open at Dunbar on 3rd, then Fraserburgh.

Could be free after 5th for a game somewhere. Depends on what your schedule is like. Enjoy your golf ⛳
Next week is out, away all week this week got silver trophys on Saturday then, caddying Monday, tie Tuesday and another forum member Wednesday, caddying again Thursday. Wife will be wondering who I am at this rate

The Lion

Visit site
Next week is out, away all week this week got silver trophys on Saturday then, caddying Monday, tie Tuesday and another forum member Wednesday, caddying again Thursday. Wife will be wondering who I am at this rate

Haha that’s fine. I hope to be back in a month or so anyway, so perhaps we can play then. Meantime hope you enjoy your golf and keep your wife sweet too!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Cavendish here. Easy stroll, short, views, great par 3’s, plenty of downhill shots and it’s Amen corner. Shame I couldn’t warrant remaining a member.
Used to have a coffee machine with help yourself pump syrups.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Play Appleby today and can heartily recommend it.

Inland links with views to die for and a great 'flow' to it. Its relatively short and has no par 5s but a lot of great par 4s.

Also Heaton Park. Its my regular course and is certainly quirky. There's about 10 blind tee shots and some big ravines to carry off the tee.

Even though its only 5750 yards, it's definitely the toughest walk around a course that I know.

I do enjoy Heaton Park on occasion but the last thing I want to do after a round there is put myself through another 18 of it ? the elevation changes are absolutely savage (just checked my Garmin from last time I played there, 774ft of elevation gain... with a 20kg bag on your back as pushing a trolley is even harder work)

Its a shame as its one of the few munis left around Manchester so you get a lot of beginners playing it, buts its a serious course! Must put a lot off!

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do enjoy Heaton Park on occasion but the last thing I want to do after a round there is put myself through another 18 of it ? the elevation changes are absolutely savage (just checked my Garmin from last time I played there, 774ft of elevation gain... with a 20kg bag on your back as pushing a trolley is even harder work)

Its a shame as its one of the few munis left around Manchester so you get a lot of beginners playing it, buts its a serious course! Must put a lot off!

Nobody believes me when I try to explain to them how tough the walk is!

Always surprises me how relatively easy the walk is when I play other courses. I can't believe it has members who play it 3/4 times a week.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
St Andrew’s Castle course. Quite possibly the most fun I’ve had on a golf course in years.
Multiple choices on every tee. Most landing zones are out of sight behind very cleverly built mounds. Several “infinity” greens. And one of the best late par 3’s in the UK.

Probably not for the Links purist, but if you’re after a gorgeous course, not overly long, fantastic views and incredibly contoured greens then I haven’t played that many better.

Zig

Visit site
Love this thread... mine would be:

Pitlochry: for the drivable par 4s, the views. Miles better than I was expecting.
Brampton: quirky, short, some great holes/elevation change.
Silloth: for the hole variety. But playing it yesterday into a 15mph wind proved very hard as well as fun!
Carne: for shot value and drama on every single hole. And for the designers skill at giving you many ways to play most of the holes. Truly awesome.
Enniscrone: for the run in the middle of the back nine. Could play those 4 or 5 holes for ever.
Kingsbarns: some amazing approaches, particularly on the holes nearest the sea.

Loads I've missed out... hard to decide between 'all round brilliant' and 'fun'.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My all time favourite is Royal West Norfolk at Brancaster. Not only is the course absolutely fantastic the Club House is something to behold and if you get there take a look at the Past Captains board!

Edit: What makes this particularly fun and sometimes more challenging is that this hole (9th) and the 8th can have up to 6 inches of brackish water in there depending on the tides!

5564.jpeg

Last edited: