The best fun courses in Britain and Ireland?

D-S

Visit site
Another vote for Cleeve Hill. Amazing location, cracking holes, bizarre landscape.

See that flag way in the distance? just keep on hitting your ball until you get it in there - pure golf as it should be

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice video here of cruit. Playing on a small island, with huge rocks and endless views makes the pressures of life disappear.

We waited a couple of years to play this course. We wanted to guarantee sun to really enjoy the experience. The day we got didnt disappoint. 8 of us played in an open. All left with smiles on our faces.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The Valley course at Portrush is indeed a better course since losing the two holes to the Dunluce and as you say a great fun golf course!

Also glad to hear someone else agrees with me that Ardglass wasn’t anywhere near the quality of course it gets made out to be!

You say you’ll be back to play Portrush someday we’ll if your over here and fancy a run down and a game or two at Ballyliffin give me a shout, not only do we have the two main courses we also have a new 9 hole par 3 course which opened this year.
We were disappointed with Ardglass. Starts great but there are some very average holes after that. Didn't help that it was wet and cold when we played there and could hardly see where we were going.:eek:

sunshine

Visit site
The most fun courses for me are:
- where it is hard to lose your ball,
- there's great views,
- different ways to play many of the holes,
- the ball rolls significantly so you need to factor that in,
- lovely true greens,
- a number of short holes (but combined with some longer ones so not short mickey mouse course)

North Berwick and Kapalua fit the bill.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Royal St Davids. Under no illusions that it could be brutal during bad weather, James and I played there the week before last in sublime conditions and despite only playing "so so" I enjoyed it that much I delayed coming home for a day just to play it again.
A "thinkers" course, you had to plot your way around, especially on the back nine. I thought it was great, I enjoyed myself more on here than I have done on a golf course for many, many years.
I've played some lovely courses over the last 30 odd years, but this one definitely goes into my top 5, possibly even my top 3.
I will definitely be going back.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Has anyone played Borth & Ynyslas? Pics look great but didn't look quite as good from the car....

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Fun" is quite a general category but casting aside the big courses, I always feel that on the courses below I could walk off the 18th and straight back on the first.......

Cavendish, Silloth, Aberdovey, Manchester (Hopwood), St Anne's Old Links, Formby Ladies.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Silloth a fun course. ?Tough as old boots and it is always wet and cold there.

All my fun courses are in the sunny warm south. Perranporth, Cleeve Hill and Huntercombe.

I've played Silloth once (well, twice in one day), in absolutely glorious conditions as seen below.

I cannot wait to go back but I am fully aware that I'll probably never have it so good again!

20210706_224002.jpg

D

Deleted member 3432

I've played Silloth once (well, twice in one day), in absolutely glorious conditions as seen below.

I cannot wait to go back but I am fully aware that I'll probably never have it so good again!

View attachment 37852
Conditions like that have been the norm this year, probably why all the higher handicappers are destroying it.

We need some 30 mph winds and cold with it to level the playing field ??

The Lion

Visit site
Haha thats my mate in the photo. At 6'3" and 18 stone I'm what most people would describe as hefty, and hacking is definitely the most accurate way of describing my golf. So the username seemed apt.

Your swing turn looks good...surely yopu have a good handicap haha

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always enjoy a game at Tain, from the first round I had there, where I fell in love with the course, which was my first ever round on a links, I liked it so much I went in and joined on the spot, so did my American friend Bob, but alas he has never been back to play it.

The Lion

Visit site
I always enjoy a game at Tain, from the first round I had there, where I fell in love with the course, which was my first ever round on a links, I liked it so much I went in and joined on the spot, so did my American friend Bob, but alas he has never been back to play it.

It's certainly a fun course with some nice variety. I'm a country member there and heading up soon if you're around for a game.

D

Deleted member 1147

My top 3 fun courses would be:

The Old Course
Teignmouth
Sandilands (now closed unfortunately)

Would play all 3 again in a heartbeat.
I enjoyed Sandlilands, I combined it with Seacroft for a couple of days golf a few years ago.
Both enjoyable, in different ways