GM Top 100 - a year in....

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
Last November I got the buzz just looking at the Top 100 list. I read a few comments here on the forum and found a lot of people keep it as a checklist to tick off against.

I decided to do the same and as I'm only in my 30's I'm quite optimistic I can clock up at least half in my golfing lifetime.

1 year in, and I've got 10 ticked off.

12 Royal Liverpool (Hoylake)
33 Burnham & Berrow (Championship)
35 Saunton (East)
44 Royal St David’s
48 Notts
52 Alwoodley
60 Moortown
61 Saunton (West)
80 The Belfry (Brabazon)
92 Sherwood Forest

Of this list, only Royal St David's and The Brabazon have not been played this year. Notts and Sherwood, being local have been played this year and previous years.
Dropping on Royal Liverpool this week has been a highlight and absolute bonus!

So, how has your progress gone this year? Ticked many off......

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Play what you want, make up your own minds. All these lists are flawed and full of personal opinion.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm doing top 100 in England as UK is just not feasible for me. In up to 42 I think, this year I knocked off -

Notts, sherwood, Alwoodley, ganton, Hankley common, Moortown, St Mellion.

Others I've previously played but also played this year were -

West hill, Saunton (both), Royal North Devon, Goodwood, Hayling, Belfry, East Devon, Frilford Heath, Oxfordshire

Been a pretty good year really!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm somewhere in the 60's, depends which list you go by. Only added 3 new ones this year.

D

Deleted member 1147

I like these lists, they give you a guide of which courses are well received and can help decide where you may want to play.
Also, any threads written about them tend to give even more in depth analysis and help with any decisions.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its called advertising budgets!

HAHA, you know very little.

If you actually played some of these courses you would realise how good they are. Given that some of these courses only cost about £40 to play i'd suggest advertising to get good rankings means very little to them.

Your argument is so flawed its annoying me

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
HAHA, you know very little.

If you actually played some of these courses you would realise how good they are. Given that some of these courses only cost about £40 to play i'd suggest advertising to get good rankings means very little to them.

Your argument is so flawed its annoying me

Really, that's great annoying stimulates debate!

As for playing some, I'm just under halfway.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really, that's great annoying stimulates debate!

As for playing some, I'm just under halfway.

If you are just under half way how can you seriously say that these courses are ranked depending on how much is spent on advertising? I'd be interested to know which courses you've played within the list are in your opinion overrated?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Our full Top 100 criteria can be read here: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/courses/top-100-courses/top-100-criteria-60844 but you'll see from the list that the ads you see the most of in GM, Marriott, De Vere etc don't get a look in.

Personally I've added Royal St Georges, The Berkshire Red & Blue and Worplesdon to my tally this year.

Facilities has nothing to do with rating a course. The COURSE is being rated not the club!

If I want to become a member of a club I'll consider what facilities the club has to offer. If I'm looking for a good golf course to play I'll go by the course not what facilities there are or how wonderful the clubhouse is. Base course ratings on the actual golf course, if you want to rate what the actual club does and incorporate that into your criteria then fine but to me its flawed.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are just under half way how can you seriously say that these courses are ranked depending on how much is spent on advertising? I'd be interested to know which courses you've played within the list are in your opinion overrated?

I'm not. I'm saying the more you advertise with the magazine and pay GM, GW or whoever the more chance you have of being favourably rated. Money talks.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not. I'm saying the more you advertise with the magazine and pay GM, GW or whoever the more chance you have of being favourably rated. Money talks.

Sorry but you are so far off the mark it's untrue. The courses are ranked purely on the criteria as described by Jake.