Best courses to join in Berkshire/Surrey area

chappers09

Visit site
Hi all,

I have read a few threads on here about memberships - I haven't necessarily had my thoughts answered and therefore thought i'd ask on here.

I am able to apply for an intermediate membership - I currently live in Crowthorne, Berkshire and have been reviewing courses. Ideally I want a course that isn't just super open and boring to play.
I would also like there to be a social element - I want to meet new people and have a bit of a buzz around the club. Whether that's achievable i'm unsure.

The options i have been considering (which are within 20 mins and reasonable to get down to are):

- East Berks Golf Club - I was previously a junior here. The course is very good and they offer reasonable fees. I must say that their maintenance team are out each day. The clubhouse is still the same, and as other threads have said, it could be said to be cliquey. I agree the course is quite flat. There's a waiting list here.
- Sand Martins - Seems like a good course. There's a waiting list here.
- Foxhills - It seems to offer best value in terms of gym and golf all rolled up into one. But it's 30 minutes away from me, without the rush hour traffic particularly around Lightwater. No waiting list.
- Royal Ascot - My neighbour is a member here - it's quite a boring course but they have reciprocal courses that they can play. No waiting list i'm aware of.
- Mill Ride - seems like it's waterlogged 9 months of the year. No waiting list but i've ruled this out.
- Bearwood - far too expensive

Am i missing any others that are obvious? Sherfield Oaks is a little far - but they have a relationship and are owned by the same people who own Pyrford Lakes.

I also don't want to go the other side of Reading to the likes of Calcott. It needs to be local so that I can actually make use of it.

Thanks all!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a member of Royal Ascot I'd disagree that it's a boring course. It is maturing and we have an ongoing programme to renovate the bunkering which when completed will provide new, well draining hazards. It is a challenge off the yellows and particularly off the whites and if you play to your handicap you've definitely had a good day. It definitely ticks your box regarding having a buzz, especially with some of the roll up groups at the weekend and we have work going on to improve the patio area.

JT.

Visit site
East Berks is the best of the courses you mention. Don’t have any experience of the membership so can’t comment on it being cliquey or not.

There is a mention of The Berkshire which is magnificent, although I suspect challenging to get in and probably quite cliquey too.

Pine Ridge is nice and worth a look.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
East Berks is a decent course (and I know the GM very well) although it is a little on the short side. Unfortunately I have always found it very cliquey whenever I've been there and I have heard stories of it being difficult to break into some of the roll up groups. I think the demographic is beginning to shift a little but can't comment on whether it has had any effect on the cliques yet

I wouldn't touch Pine Ridge. It gets wet in places and notoriously slow as it is a pay and play