GM Top 100 - a year in....

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
I'm not. I'm saying the more you advertise with the magazine and pay GM, GW or whoever the more chance you have of being favourably rated. Money talks.

Just a further side note on this point, much of our Top 100 panel are made up of our readers, who score the courses independently on independent visits, which only further backs up any spend=ranking position as being rubbish.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
not played as many as some:

Old Course
new Course
castle (think it is in top 100)
Royal st David

Royal st david is the hardest of the 4 by a country mile !

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a further side note on this point, much of our Top 100 panel are made up of our readers, who score the courses independently on independent visits, which only further backs up any spend=ranking position as being rubbish.

Jake, the reviews that were done by readers for the event @ Notts. Did they ever get published anywhere?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I'm not. I'm saying the more you advertise with the magazine and pay GM, GW or whoever the more chance you have of being favourably rated. Money talks.

Fewer than 10 courses in our Top 100 do any form of advertising with us

Our list has never purported to be anything other than subjective - it can’t be anything else. However given that our panel is comprised of golfers who have played a lot of golf courses in GB&I then we feel we are well placed to benchmark courses using a set criteria and therefore produce a list that is robust

Our list is produced with the visiting golfer who pays a green fee in mind. As a result the criteria encompasses more that just the golf course as we believe experience and facilities have a bearing on your enjoyment of your visit

I have been lucky enough to play 27 of the courses that feature in our Top 100 this year including two that were new to me, Nairn and Close House (which takes my overall tally to 81 of the 100). Thoroughly enjoyed those two and indeed all of them. We're so lucky to have such amazing courses that unlike the US ordinary golfers can pay a green fee to play

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fewer than 10 courses in our Top 100 do any form of advertising with us

Our list has never purported to be anything other than subjective - it can’t be anything else. However given that our panel is comprised of golfers who have played a lot of golf courses in GB&I then we feel we are well placed to benchmark courses using a set criteria and therefore produce a list that is robust

Our list is produced with the visiting golfer who pays a green fee in mind. As a result the criteria encompasses more that just the golf course as we believe experience and facilities have a bearing on your enjoyment of your visit

I have been lucky enough to play 27 of the courses that feature in our Top 100 this year including two that were new to me, Nairn and Close House (which takes my overall tally to 81 of the 100). Thoroughly enjoyed those two and indeed all of them. We're so lucky to have such amazing courses that unlike the US ordinary golfers can pay a green fee to play

Who pays the green fee or is it all complimentary golf?

Also when is the next edition out and do the "raters" play a full 18 holes at every venue?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Who pays the green fee or is it all complimentary golf?

Also when is the next edition out and do the "raters" play a full 18 holes at every venue?

Do you think it makes a difference to the review if they have to pay or not?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes who doesn't enjoy free golf?

Obviously everyone does but when I play a course I don't judge it's quality by how much it has cost me. Don't confuse quality with value for money, they are 2 very different things. If you want to rank a course by price then Silloth would be the clear #1 in the GB&I

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Obviously everyone does but when I play a course I don't judge it's quality by how much it has cost me. Don't confuse quality with value for money, they are 2 very different things. If you want to rank a course by price then Silloth would be the clear #1 in the GB&I

And that's why we're all different.

I don't take into account, clubhouse, food and facilities when rating a GOLF COURSE.

Going by that then Askernish would be a complete non starter for people when in fact it's the best "hidden gem" I've ever played. Just an honest golf club, no bells and whistles and an amazing natural golf course.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't take into account, clubhouse, food and facilities when rating a GOLF COURSE.

Going by that then Askernish would be a complete non starter for people when in fact it's the best "hidden gem" I've ever played. Just an honest golf club, no bells and whistles and an amazing natural golf course.
I would love a go at Askernish its one on my list ,how easy is it to get there etc

D

Deleted member 17920

New ones for me so far this year.

37. Formby
65. Aberdovey
76. Druids Glen
84. K Club Palmer course
85. West Hill
92. Sherwood Forest

Now played 22 off the top 100 on the GM website. A few more to be ticked off next year with the Trump trip.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As you say, we are all different. The GM rankings take the whole experience into account. There is more than just the layout of the course though, nobody wants to play on awful greens just because the course layout is good or have to drive down to the local Tesco at lunchtime because there are no catering facilities. Top courses don't come cheap so I think people are entitled to expect more than just a nice layout.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got to love a top 100 debate :rofl:

One of the best threads on the forum this year was when Mike and Jezz did a Q&A on why courses did and didn't make the top 100, very interest to hear views particularly of courses I rate highly that didn't make it (Glasgow Gailes, Dundonald, Archerfield to name a few) and why those I though we're just OK did get in (West Lancs, Brabazon, Hillside ;) )

Everyone has differing opinions that's what makes these debates so good.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yep horses for courses Martin but seriously.....Hillside just 'OK' ?? :ears: