Top 100 Courses In The World - How many have you played?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
GOLF magazine have released their new world Top 100. Obviously it's very US dominated but there are three European new entries - St Patrick's, Ardfin and the new course at Les Bordes – while the likes of Walton Heath, Machrihanish, Waterville and Trump International moved off the list.

How many have you played and where do you think they’ve got right or wrong? I’ve played 22 of these and love how they’ve got Dornoch so high, personally I would have Lytham and kings barns a lot higher and Prestwick lower

If I could play anywhere think it would be Cypress Point and Royal Melbourne though know next to nothing about a fifth of these courses

Attachments

• Top100.jpg
    Top100.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 118
D

Deleted member 21258

Wonder how much it would cost to play all of them, including travel costs :eek:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1 on that list Royal Dornoch, probably 2 on other lists as I’ve played Trump International which must have been taken of the list for political reasons.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played edit 15 (all in UK/Ireland, missed Turnberry in original post) Some of those arent even in my personal top 100, Be careful when picking ones to play, if paying for the green fee/travel, is a lesson I have learnt :)

Last edited by a moderator:

peld

Visit site
these lists are so odd. Realisitcally how many new high end golf courses get built every year, and how many changes are made that warrant an adjustment in the ranking.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really will have to get back to play Royal Dornoch as I was underwhelmed by the course it didn’t help that it rained heavy for the last 6 holes but even so there must be something I missed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 on that list Royal Dornoch, probably 2 on other lists as I’ve played Trump International which must have been taken of the list for political reasons.
Turnberry is still on there. I haven't played Trump International but if it was removed for political reasons you would expect Turnberry to follow? Perhaps just one of those where you have to scratch your head.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Turnberry is still on there. I haven't played Trump International but if it was removed for political reasons you would expect Turnberry to follow? Perhaps just one of those where you have to scratch your head.

True , wonder why it was taken off then??‍♂️

D

Deleted member 23270

It's an American list, they really don't have a clue. If it's expensive then it's good according to their logic. Trump Aberdeen will have been removed because it isn't good enough to be in a world top 100, and rightly so.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played six, realistically having played most of them on only one occasion and Dornoch a few times my opinion is going to be highly subjective but I wouldn't seriously argue with the order in which they have ranked the ones I have played . These lists are generally a bit of fun plus marketing for the commercial enterprises. Realistically the marketing angle for the publication is important how else do you get a course like Ardfin which few people have played and is brand new into the top 100 in the world, 20 years ago Loch Lomond would have got in in the same way but now seems to be barely mentioned in most lists.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
12, one of which is abroad. I've also played 2 that have fallen out and had a look at another one whilst abroad but wasn't in a position to play it.

Looking at the list, there's a couple that I've seen in other lists that could/should be in there (Mid Ocean, Bemuda & Banff Springs, Canada) but aren't.

Ironically, having travelled about 3,000 miles to play the one abroad on that list, one of those I haven't played is only 15 minutes down the road... :oops::rolleyes::LOL:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
7 for me. There's a few on my bucket list with plans to play, and a couple that will need some serious amount of luck to achieve....

Possible:
Ballybunion
Royal St Georges
North Berwick
Carnoustie
Swinley Forest
Rye
Castle Stuart
Kingsbarns
Lahinch

Wishful thinking:
Hirono
Tara Iti
Cape Kidnappers
Barnbougle Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Cabot Cliffs

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I really will have to get back to play Royal Dornoch as I was underwhelmed by the course it didn’t help that it rained heavy for the last 6 holes but even so there must be something I missed.

Maybe I'm biased because my lad is based there, but I love Royal Dornoch. Have played it twice now, most recently two months ago, I think it's a great layout, some stunning views and a good test. It's top of my personal list of fav courses.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's an American list, they really don't have a clue. If it's expensive then it's good according to their logic. Trump Aberdeen will have been removed because it isn't good enough to be in a world top 100, and rightly so.

Funny how we rate courses, having played Trump International and Royal Dornoch I enjoyed Trump International far better I would rate it higher than Royal Dornoch.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Maybe I'm biased because my lad is based there, but I love Royal Dornoch. Have played it twice now, most recently two months ago, I think it's a great layout, some stunning views and a good test. It's top of my personal list of fav courses.

Yea I know your lads there and you have some terrific courses around that area you could play, Tain was a favorite of mine, as for Royal Dornoch my home course has better views, the area is good but I wasn’t blown away with the views.

The first hole was a let down for me perhaps I was expecting to much, but I realize I’m in a minority with this view, and would need to play there again as I’m sure it must be better than I remember.

It could have been the 3 Yanks from Texas I was paired with that clouded my judgment ?