The UK & Ireland’s Next 100 - how many have you played?

Grizzly

Visit site
Staying close to home, I raised my eyebrows at the Hertfordshire courses included / excluded. Hertfordshire has some fantastic courses, and is home to some of the best parkland courses in the country. But due to the natural terrain, you won't find any Sunningdales or Birkdales here. So I wouldn't expect to find any Herts courses in the top 100, but plenty in the next 100.

Somehow the Grove has made it into the top 100. It's a cracking course, top 100 in England yes, but GB&I top 100?
Then I can see Berkhamsted and Ashridge in the next 100. Both lovely courses, but how can you mention them but not Moor Park and Hadley Wood!

At the end of the day, as long as this list sparks a good debate it is doing its job.

It does make you wonder how the long list is drawn up - I played Ashridge last year and thought it was decent but I was shocked to see it in this list, yet as you say Moor Park and a few others are not in there.

@MarkT - any chance of you sharing the long list with us? Be interesting to see which courses missed out and which were not considered!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ashridge is a lovely setting , nice club house but the course is just ok , they make it hard with the greens but it’s very playable and wide open in places. Enjoy playing there but Berkhampstead up the road is a better course

Agree with the other person about Hadley Wood - superb course that’s far better than The Grove for example , Moor Park is just ok

Spot on for me Phil, been once, 'twas okay, not been back & doubt I will be.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
18 of the next 100 for me. One I'd gladly never play again, a couple like Ashridge, okay but wouldn't rush back, and a couple that I'd happily play for the rest of my life in preference to some in the top 100.

D

Deleted member 15344

It does make you wonder how the long list is drawn up - I played Ashridge last year and thought it was decent but I was shocked to see it in this list, yet as you say Moor Park and a few others are not in there.

@MarkT - any chance of you sharing the long list with us? Be interesting to see which courses missed out and which were not considered!

Moor Park isn’t a great course , it’s ok at best , nice stately home for a club house but the course let’s it down.

D

Deleted member 17920

38 from this list so a lot lower than the main top 100

Got a few of these planned for this year.

Grizzly

Visit site
Moor Park isn’t a great course , it’s ok at best , nice stately home for a club house but the course let’s it down.

See, I really enjoyed it. Its let down by a couple of weak holes in the middle, and I appreciate that me happening to actually play OK there might sway me slightly, but I thought it was a nice course and a better than nice experience.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
39 for me (if it was Frilford Red we played the other year in an open with some other forummers) can anyone remember, think it was the Sunday of the Ryder cup. 66 (top 100).

Wallasey criminally in this list, rather than the other. :D

I'll obviously be biased ref Wallasey but will say it can't be missing by much. A couple of weak holes on the front 9, 1st ain't particularly good likewise 6th, back 9 has that stupid 10th hole and 15th ain't great either however stunning looking holes in 3, 4, 11, 12, 17 and 18.

Lovely clubhouse, great grub and atmosphere. A real privilege to be a member for a bit.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll obviously be biased ref Wallasey but will say it can't be missing by much. A couple of weak holes on the front 9, 1st ain't particularly good likewise 6th, back 9 has that stupid 10th hole and 15th ain't great either however stunning looking holes in 3, 4, 11, 12, 17 and 18.

Lovely clubhouse, great grub and atmosphere. A real privilege to be a member for a bit.

The 10th is a cracker, you just need to learn how to play it. :)

I think Wallasey is 2/3rds of a top 10-15 course. If the flat holes were also in the dune system, it would be one of our best. However as a course for members, you need a break from the challenge so the flat ones make it more playable week in, week out.

I think its like Hillside, a great challenge but also very playable if you think your way around it.

Reactions: Val

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
See, I really enjoyed it. Its let down by a couple of weak holes in the middle, and I appreciate that me happening to actually play OK there might sway me slightly, but I thought it was a nice course and a better than nice experience.

18 is a shocker, which always ruins a course, as you walk off remembering that.

D-S

Visit site
32. Fewer than the main list, but maybe I've never actively sought these out.

Machynys' inclusion surprises me. It doesn't drain and so is soaking wet for much of the year.
Couldn’t agree more, maybe the raters liked the clubhouse, which is pretty good.

D-S

Visit site
Great views of the Bay from the clubhouse... only see it from one tee on the course. Nice views of houses and steelworks though.

Don't get me wrong, the good holes are good. But it's "wear wellies" too often

I’m not sure how much account they take of average condition, if they did Isle of Purbeck would be nowhere near this list.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I’m not sure how much account they take of average condition, if they did Isle of Purbeck would be nowhere near this list.
Have a look on the courses section of the website, the ranking criteria is shown on there.