The UK & Ireland’s Next 100 - how many have you played?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Always think this is as interesting as the Top 100 in terms of often being more on budget and there are always a handful you might not be familiar with - if you can point out in brackets how many of the Top 100 you’ve also done that would be helpful

I’m on 58, lacking in parts of Ireland and would love to get to Scotland soon and play Moray for the first time (and then crack on to Boat of Garten)

https://www.golfmonthly.com/courses/uk-and-ireland/uk-irelands-next-100-golf-courses-61194

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Surprisingly only 7, including my home course - much less than I've played in the top 100 and only four of them in Scotland - One in Eire and the other two in Northern Ireland where I'm surprised that the Valley at Royal Portrush didn't make this list - much, much better course than Ardglass and I'd argue better than Castlerock too.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
16 for me. (19 of top 100)

This next 100 list is a lot more controversial / subjective than the top 100. If a great course is missing from the top 100, you can make it up by including it in the next 100 and positioning it as just missing out (e.g. from my comment on the last thread I guess Dundonald fits into this category).

But I am surprised at some of the courses missing / included in the next 100.

Slaley hall?

sunshine

Visit site
Staying close to home, I raised my eyebrows at the Hertfordshire courses included / excluded. Hertfordshire has some fantastic courses, and is home to some of the best parkland courses in the country. But due to the natural terrain, you won't find any Sunningdales or Birkdales here. So I wouldn't expect to find any Herts courses in the top 100, but plenty in the next 100.

Somehow the Grove has made it into the top 100. It's a cracking course, top 100 in England yes, but GB&I top 100?
Then I can see Berkhamsted and Ashridge in the next 100. Both lovely courses, but how can you mention them but not Moor Park and Hadley Wood!

At the end of the day, as long as this list sparks a good debate it is doing its job.

D

Deleted Member 1156

16 for me. (19 of top 100)

This next 100 list is a lot more controversial / subjective than the top 100. If a great course is missing from the top 100, you can make it up by including it in the next 100 and positioning it as just missing out (e.g. from my comment on the last thread I guess Dundonald fits into this category).

But I am surprised at some of the courses missing / included in the next 100.

Slaley hall?
What is even more difficult to decide is that 40 of the next 100 are included in a total list of 140 courses that get reviewed for the top 100 ranking. I'm glad I don't have to select those courses!

D

Deleted member 3432

What is even more difficult to decide is that 40 of the next 100 are included in a total list of 140 courses that get reviewed for the top 100 ranking. I'm glad I don't have to select those courses!

So who comes up with the list of selected courses to review?

Maybe we should be calling it the 'next 100 courses from a list'

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Staying close to home, I raised my eyebrows at the Hertfordshire courses included / excluded. Hertfordshire has some fantastic courses, and is home to some of the best parkland courses in the country. But due to the natural terrain, you won't find any Sunningdales or Birkdales here. So I wouldn't expect to find any Herts courses in the top 100, but plenty in the next 100.

Somehow the Grove has made it into the top 100. It's a cracking course, top 100 in England yes, but GB&I top 100?
Then I can see Berkhamsted and Ashridge in the next 100. Both lovely courses, but how can you mention them but not Moor Park and Hadley Wood!

At the end of the day, as long as this list sparks a good debate it is doing its job.

Ashridge was on Around With Alliss this week, not sure I’d ever seen the course before

D

Deleted member 15344

Ashridge was on Around With Alliss this week, not sure I’d ever seen the course before

Ashridge is a lovely setting , nice club house but the course is just ok , they make it hard with the greens but it’s very playable and wide open in places. Enjoy playing there but Berkhampstead up the road is a better course

Agree with the other person about Hadley Wood - superb course that’s far better than The Grove for example , Moor Park is just ok