DATE change >> Top 100 forum Q&A - Thursday December 8 12-1pm

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hi,

I have been banging the Enniscrone drum since I first visited a while ago to no avail until more recently there have been come very supportive comments from panellists.

I agree!!

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Thanks all for your questions! We will have to call it a day for the live Q&A but will endeavour to mop up any unanswered ones later
remember we are doing an facebook live at 1.30 with more Top 100 chat!

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Burnham continues to climb, what were the reasons for this?

Just back home, and quickly in response, it's partly as a result of Loch Lomond now being ineligible, and partly as a result of further very strong feedback for the course from our panellists. Personally, it's long been one of my very favourite English links that perhaps flew a little under the radar for quite a long time relative to its true quality

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys just thought I'd say I thought the Facebook chat was excellent. Good quick fire answers and your enthusiasm came over well. Like a good pub conversation sadly without the beer!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back home, and quickly in response, it's partly as a result of Loch Lomond now being ineligible, and partly as a result of further very strong feedback for the course from our panellists. Personally, it's long been one of my very favourite English links that perhaps flew a little under the radar for quite a long time relative to its true quality

they are currently building new tees on the 6th and 9th (possibly the 11th too). They are going to be incredible.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Guys just thought I'd say I thought the Facebook chat was excellent. Good quick fire answers and your enthusiasm came over well. Like a good pub conversation sadly without the beer!

thanks Karen! we enjoyed it. good call on the beer. I will look to introduce that next time we do one!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mike, agree with your Wallasey thoughts but a few subtle changes are afoot to change the weaker holes (tees and some mounding work) maybe worth getting yourself up for a game as autumn approaches next year.

I still believe it has 2 of the best short par 3's anywhere with the 9th and 12th, particularly 12 which I believe is almost as was originally made with minor tweaks

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Mike, agree with your Wallasey thoughts but a few subtle changes are afoot to change the weaker holes (tees and some mounding work) maybe worth getting yourself up for a game as autumn approaches next year.

I still believe it has 2 of the best short par 3's anywhere with the 9th and 12th, particularly 12 which I believe is almost as was originally made with minor tweaks

will be interesting to see those changes Martin. Think its always been close - those changes might be the difference. Personally I'd live to see another NW course in

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Narin & Portnoo must have been close to making it Mike, a fantastic course and much better than Machrihanish which is highly rated

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Narin & Portnoo must have been close to making it Mike, a fantastic course and much better than Machrihanish which is highly rated
I've not been over to play it Steve but heard good reports. three a load of the more remote scottish and irish courses that I need to get to

D

Deleted member 15344

Mike

Have any courses dropped out of the next 100 and been replaced by others ?

I'm surprised not to see Frilford Heath Red not included but the Oxfordshire is ?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mike

I'm surprised not to see Frilford Heath Red not included but the Oxfordshire is ?

I didnt even notice Frilford wasnt in the next top 100, that is very surprising especially given it is usually in the top 100 english courses.

Oxfordshire is still a great course. Don't get why people don't like it (not suggesting you dont), its a great example of a modern golf course. I would argue its better than the Brabazon - which i am also a fan of.

D

Deleted member 1147

Mendie's post (#54) just got me thinking, do the panel @ GM ever consider dropping the Brabazon, based on the panning it gets on this forum?
It must be the least liked course in the top 200!

D

Deleted member 16999

Mike,
When we hear about courses like Machrie Golf Links on The Isle of Islay being restored, how quick does a course like this have a chance of being reviewed and making an impact on the top 200 ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mike as he who cannot be named" isn't on the forum anymore, i feel i should ask the couple of questions he always asked;)

1)why isn't Machrihanish not ranked higher?

2) why is Nairn Ranked so high, surely its overrated?

:rofl::rofl::clap:

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Mike

For various reasons there were a total of 12 new courses in the Next 100 this time.

6 were because of promotions to the Top 100 following our decision to eliminate exclusive clubs from the rankings, and that accounted for a further 3 in our Next 100. There were then three more that have had to be dropped for the timebeing while extensive work is taking place (Adare Manor, Machrie and Turnberry Kintyre which is due to re-emerge as the Bruce course next year).

The new Next 100 courses are...

Blackwell
Huddersfield
Knole Park
Manchester
Moray (Old)
Northants County
Piltdown
Rockliffe Hall
Royal Dublin
St Annes Old Links
Thorndon Park
Woodbridge (Heath)

Once you get outside the Top 100 I think you will find the various rankings will vary much more greatly. I have played both Frilford Red and The Oxfordshire some time ago, and would certainly remember more individual holes from the latter. However, that's not the only criterion by which to judge a course, so I will endeavour to get back to Frilford during the next assessing period to take another look if at all possible

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Mendie's post (#54) just got me thinking, do the panel @ GM ever consider dropping the Brabazon, based on the panning it gets on this forum?
It must be the least liked course in the top 200!

To a degree every course, certainly in the lower reaches, would be considered for relegation particularly if it became apparent that lack of investment was impacting on both course conditioning and the visitor experience. This has most definitely not been the case for the Brabazon, and the post above this proves that not everyone dislikes the Brabazon - far from it in fact. I feel it has suffered over the years from early references to it being a potato field and so on, and a fair bit of bandwagon-jumping. The fact is that whenever I have been there, it has always been in excellent condition and there are far more good holes than the naysayers give it credit for.

I also find it interesting how critical people can be relating things back to a piece of land's former use. Even our finest and most long-established golf courses weren't always golf courses, and if you go back far enough I'm sure you would find that some of our finest links once stood on fairly scrubby, barren land little better than a potato field.

Here, for example, are some of the early thoughts about Muirfield, which might come as a surprise to some...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=56345.0;wap2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

For various reasons there were a total of 12 new courses in the Next 100 this time.

6 were because of promotions to the Top 100 following our decision to eliminate exclusive clubs from the rankings, and that accounted for a further 3 in our Next 100. There were then three more that have had to be dropped for the timebeing while extensive work is taking place (Adare Manor, Machrie and Turnberry Kintyre which is due to re-emerge as the Bruce course next year).

The new Next 100 courses are...

Blackwell
Huddersfield
Knole Park
Manchester
Moray (Old)
Northants County
Piltdown
Rockliffe Hall
Royal Dublin
St Annes Old Links
Thorndon Park
Woodbridge (Heath)

Once you get outside the Top 100 I think you will find the various rankings will vary much more greatly. I have played both Frilford Red and The Oxfordshire some time ago, and would certainly remember more individual holes from the latter. However, that's not the only criterion by which to judge a course, so I will endeavour to get back to Frilford during the next assessing period to take another look if at all possible

Thank you for that

A couple of years ago I would say that Oxfordshire would be just a bit ahead of Frilford because of the dramatic holes around the water but it just doesn't seem to have developed any character and every time I play it it feels soulless and tired now - just a big slog. We recently moved to Frilford to play our regular outing and it's improved massively - condition wise it's spotless and it has some brutal holes but think it's let down a little by the par 3's which no big standouts - but would recommend you go back to have a look