GM Top 100 rankings - live Q&A today 1-3pm

D

Deleted member 3432

;);)
My cousin is a member at Carlisle, and I have played there a few times. Amazing to see all the red squirrels. He told me all the posh people play at Silloth.:)

The only posh people I have seen are the visitors ;)

D

Deleted member 3432

To be honest I think posh was only a relative term. (excuse the pun) I did have a relative that was Lady Mayor of Workington. Now she did think she was posh.;)

Haha I'm from Workington, I probably know her.
its one of those places!

D

Deleted member 15344

I can see that from a members' perspective but it defintely made it a better experience for visitors - very polished and welcoming
new short game facility wil only help the case next time round

Did you feel it was more "professional and smart" as opposed to warm and making you feel at home as welcome ( if you see what I mean )

One of the things heard some say is the club seem to be doing a lot to welcome the corporate visitors etc but sort of ignoring the members.

When you go to the places do they know who the assessor is or is it a "mystery shopper" type visit

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can see that from a members' perspective but it defintely made it a better experience for visitors - very polished and welcoming
new short game facility wil only help the case next time round

Whole experience was a bit 'off' for me. Neither properly clubby - bar closure, stand-off-ness etc - nor properly 'corporate' (whatever that really is). There was something just a little bit cold and grey about the 'clubhouse' (apart from the friendly stewards) that actually rather matched the day - frost delayed. Courses (Marquess an Dukes) were great though, which was the most important thing for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with an ex member in an Open at Woburn. He said he left because he struggled to get a game, and thought there was no atmosphere in the clubhouse.

I always find it a bit corporate. Reminds me of Foxhills, Old Thorns etc. Nothing wrong if you just want a round and a quick pint, but nothing to make me want to stay any longer. Cracking courses, but must admit I want something a bit more sociable from a members club.

I could have joined three other clubs closer to where I live, higher ranked courses, but just didn't think they were as friendly.

D

Deleted member 15344

I played with an ex member in an Open at Woburn. He said he left because he struggled to get a game, and thought there was no atmosphere in the clubhouse.

I always find it a bit corporate. Reminds me of Foxhills, Old Thorns etc. Nothing wrong if you just want a round and a quick pint, but nothing to make me want to stay any longer. Cracking courses, but must admit I want something a bit more sociable from a members club.

I could have joined three other clubs closer to where I live, higher ranked courses, but just didn't think they were as friendly.

Spot on in regards Woburn Rich :thup:

A decent number have left over the years looking for a more "member experience"

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Did you feel it was more "professional and smart" as opposed to warm and making you feel at home as welcome ( if you see what I mean )

One of the things heard some say is the club seem to be doing a lot to welcome the corporate visitors etc but sort of ignoring the members.

When you go to the places do they know who the assessor is or is it a "mystery shopper" type visit

I have never felt Woburn is a clubby club as it were. Yes definitely more professional and smart but also a good welcome from the staff form front desk to starters
some places will know an assesor is coming but as we said lots of visits to contender courses are made as part of a club matches, annual tours etc so the clubs very unlikley to know that they have a GM assesor on the premises!
What needs to be remembered is our rankings are 100% from the perspective of the visiting golfer, not member
would be interesting to have a list of the best clubs/courses to be a member of...

D

Deleted member 15344

I have never felt Woburn is a clubby club as it were. Yes definitely more professional and smart but also a good welcome from the staff form front desk to starters
some places will know an assesor is coming but as we said lots of visits to contender courses are made as part of a club matches, annual tours etc so the clubs very unlikley to know that they have a GM assesor on the premises!
What needs to be remembered is our rankings are 100% from the perspective of the visiting golfer, not member
would be interesting to have a list of the best clubs/courses to be a member of...

That would be an interesting list and wonder how much of a difference some places would be - but I guess would be hard to judge

One final question which has prob been asked

How long is the list of contender courses ? Is it the top 200 from previous years for exampl ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do envy all you golfers that have played the top top 25 golf courses.

I have only played courses in or below the top 30.

I suppose when you get to the top courses it becomes the whole experience of the day,
maybe even staying in the hotel and eating etc not just playing the course.

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think they would be alone in not serving food and drink to those not playing the course...

There can be an issue with licensing depending on the set up of the club, though of course that only applies to booze. No real excuse for not allowing someone in for a coffee who is there to check out the course though.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I do envy all you golfers that have played the top top 25 golf courses.

I have only played courses in or below the top 30.

I suppose when you get to the top courses it becomes the whole experience of the day,
maybe even staying in the hotel and eating etc not just playing the course.

for top 100 courses we dont include any hotel elements - course and clubhouse only

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It certainly would, unfortunately it would probably be impossible to do. Potentially the only way would be to have assessors all over the country playing as member guests frequently with other members which to be fair is probably something the members of the forum do informally anyway all over the country.