Top 100 links courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

National Club Golfer have published their list of top 100 links courses in GB&I. There are all the usual talking points with some ratings that people will feel are justified, strange or just plain bonkers. posted below is a selection, I'm not going to type the entire list. Bear in mind that this is purely links, no heathland, parkland etc and the number in brackets is the corresponding position in the GM top 100 list.

1) RCD (2)
2) Muirfield (1)
3) Carnoustie(6)
4) Turnberry (4)
5) RSG (7)
6) Birkdale (5)
7) TOC (3)
8) Portmarnock (25)
9) Dornoch (8)
10) Portrush (11)

So no great surprises there other than Portmarnock, but here is a selection from further down the list

16) Skibo (-)
24) Formby (37)
28) Saunton East (35)
37) Hillside (30)
40) Carne (99)
49) Burnham and Berrow (33)
51) Enniscrone (-)
72) Princes (-)
74) Seacroft (-)
85) Trevose (77)
91) RND (72)

And a few oddities.....

Carnoustie Burnside is 87 but no place for Saunton West
Trump Aberdeen #32 but right up at #14 in the GM list
No Scotscraig.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Does Scotscraig qualify as a links course ? I thought it was part heathland. No doubt Steve1969 can confirm.

No Saunton West is very strange. Any sign of Ardglass and Hayling ?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
National Club Golfer have published their list of top 100 links courses in GB&I. There are all the usual talking points with some ratings that people will feel are justified, strange or just plain bonkers. posted below is a selection, I'm not going to type the entire list. Bear in mind that this is purely links, no heathland, parkland etc and the number in brackets is the corresponding position in the GM top 100 list.

1) RCD (2)
2) Muirfield (1)
3) Carnoustie(6)
4) Turnberry (4)
5) RSG (7)
6) Birkdale (5)
7) TOC (3)
8) Portmarnock (25)
9) Dornoch (8)
10) Portrush (11)

So no great surprises there other than Portmarnock, but here is a selection from further down the list

16) Skibo (-)
24) Formby (37)
28) Saunton East (35)
37) Hillside (30)
40) Carne (99)
49) Burnham and Berrow (33)
51) Enniscrone (-)
72) Princes (-)
74) Seacroft (-)
85) Trevose (77)
91) RND (72)

And a few oddities.....

Carnoustie Burnside is 87 but no place for Saunton West
Trump Aberdeen #32 but right up at #14 in the GM list
No Scotscraig.

Scotscraig really isn't a links course, more links/heathland mixture according to their website. SteveK will tell you what the members think but I'm certain he has said so too.

I haven't played it BUT Nairn at 14? Good endorsement to be ahead of the likes of Trump, Prestwick and Royal Liverpool

D

Deleted Member 1156

Does Scotscraig qualify as a links course ? I thought it was part heathland. No doubt Steve1969 can confirm.

Don't know Scotscraig at all but for some reason I assumed it is a links.

And no and no to Ardglass and Hayling.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm no great fan of Royal Liverpool, but its better than Nairn.

Prestwick is well better.

Why is it you always want to have a pop at Nairn?

All these lists are purely opinion, but the course must have some merrit or it wouldn't have held the Walker Cup, Curtis Cup, AM Championship and next year the Home Internationals

G

guest100718

I'm not so sure. It's probably important to the respective clubs, I bet their visitor numbers increase by being on the lists, and amount charged in green fees also rises,

Maybe for some, but when we look for places to play, whether they are in the list of top 100 isnt a consideration.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haven't seen the full list but I agree with RCD at 1 and Portmarnocjk in the top 10.

But where is Ballybunion?
Ballybunion old is 19, ballybunion cashen is 94.

It's all so subjective, despite most lists trying to be scientific. But the admission of saunton west and hayling & the inclusion of trevose is wrong.

I'd advocate keeping RND in as it's so different and 3-8 are as good a stretch of holes as anywhere.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would tend to agree, where a course is in a list does not make much difference. I tend go for Maybe open rota or what guys i play with have told me about a course, or if Ive seen it on TV.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

As Val said the website says Links/Heathland, but to be honest the front 9 in the summer plays like links . In general i wouldn't class it as a links just tough test of golf as we get the sea breezes. Why is there no love for Nairn on here although i haven't played one of my mates has on numerous occasions and loves it and he is someone who's opinions are normally spot on when it comes to courses.