Golf Digest top 100 golf courses 2018 (outside US)

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't find this topic around so I decided to open a new thread, if it already talked please mods merge the threads :)

Golf Digest published its 2018 ranking, but this time it will not be a world top 100 but the 100 best outside USA.

The American top 100 ranking wil be issued separately.

https://www.golfdige...st-golf-courses

My random observations:
  • it's a pitty that the 2 charts are separated but I understand there are currently too many good courses and to exclude venues like Castle Stuart it's tough. With 2 separated charts you make (nearly) everyone happy but you lose the global picture
  • Comparing 2016 with the 2018 is like comparing pears with apples now
  • To make a right comparison you should remove the US courses in 2016. For example Royal Porthcawl went officially from 47 to 41 which looks like an improvement but if we remove the US courses it went from 17 in 2016 to 41 in 2018
  • golf is becoming more and more global, the ranking had 17 different countries in 2014, 23 in 2016 and 25 in 2017!
Notable movements (2016 rank is without US)
  • The podium is the same as in 20016: Royal Country Down, Royal Dornoch, Royal Melbourne
  • Muirfield passes the Old Course (from 5 to 4)
  • The updated Royal Portrush which will host the Open in 2019 went from 16 to 7
  • Highest new entry is Tara Iti at 6
  • Notables new entries are: Jack Nicklaus GC in Korea (28), Capilano (51), Metropolitan (57), Ganton (68), Royal Liverpool (72), Old Head of Kinsale (83), Royal Adelaide (85), The European Club (92), Prestwick (95)
  • Ballybunion is (finally) back at 16 after being excluded in 2016
  • Other notables returns are mainly UK: Royal Troon (40), Castle Stuart (53), Waterville (55), Cruden Bay (56), Walton Heath (66), Rye (67), Royal Aberdeen (71), Loch Lomond (74), Woodhall Spa (80). Please note that excluding Troon all these big names would be excluded from the World top 100
  • The following did not make the top 100 in 2018: Memphrémagog Golf Club, The Els Club Teluk Datai, Nirwana Bali G.C., Tokyo G.C., Gary Player C.C., St. Enodoc G.C. (Church Course), Spring City Golf & Lake Resort (Mountain)
  • Biggest jumps from 2016: The Club at Nine Bridges in Korea (from 46 to 23), Sunningdale New (from 55 to 33), Shanqin Bay G.C. in Australia (from 21 to 8)
  • Biggest falls from 2016: The National G.C. (Moonah) in Australia (from 52 to 98), Sentosa (from 34 to 79), Portmarnock (from 14 to 58)
What are your impressions?
Ciao
iMak

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very interesting post, Mak.:thup:

I sometimes look on the world one, but I wonder if any reviewer has actually played all 100 (or more).

Would also be interested to even see how many of the international ones the likes of Rob, Jezz, Mike or any of our illustrious forummers have played.

edit: Just counted and I've played 22 - but all of them are in the UK and Ireland.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it's a minority opinion; but I'm just not that bothered about links courses. I know the history and the challenge when the elements are against you I just don't think it's all that interesting.

But these rankings are always full of links courses so I don't pay it too much heed

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes an interesting list and quite flawed in my opinion. I think there are a few courses listed in there purely because they are 'big name' courses but not actually all that great. I've played 29 of them with 3 more booked in for May and some of them wouldn't make my own top 100 so interesting they make a world top 100.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it's a minority opinion; but I'm just not that bothered about links courses. I know the history and the challenge when the elements are against you I just don't think it's all that interesting.

But these rankings are always full of links courses so I don't pay it too much heed

*raises hand*
As dull as dishwater to look, even Troon was the last train to blandsville.

D

Deleted Member 1156

*raises hand*
As dull as dishwater to look, even Troon was the last train to blandsville.

It would be quite interesting to see a top 100 listing of parkland courses.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was very surprised about Ballybunion missing the top 100 in 2016, I played last year, I thought it has too many bland holes but it's a great track overall. I was also surprised by Portmarnock, it seems to receive mixed reviews, from first in Ireland to not even top 50 in the world excluding USA...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes an interesting list and quite flawed in my opinion. I think there are a few courses listed in there purely because they are 'big name' courses but not actually all that great. I've played 29 of them with 3 more booked in for May and some of them wouldn't make my own top 100 so interesting they make a world top 100.

As is every top 100! Very very subjective.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played 19 of the world list, I'd probably debate the order of some of those and even doubt some deserve their place on a world top 100.

I fully expected all the ones I'd played to be in the UK but it turns out I have played one in Canada - the Fairmont Jasper Park, which was a spectacular setting with some good holes but very surprising to see it on the list.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've played 19 of the world list, I'd probably debate the order of some of those and even doubt some deserve their place on a world top 100.

I fully expected all the ones I'd played to be in the UK but it turns out I have played one in Canada - the Fairmont Jasper Park, which was a spectacular setting with some good holes but very surprising to see it on the list.

Yep, Western gailes being one of them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i can't comment of any of the ones outside the UK, but there are some strange ones low and ahead of Open venues. such as Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have played 15 of the Worlds but all UK other than 1 Portuguese one. Pleased to see Swinley Forest in there.
I don't think many of the NZ ones were there in 1980 when I first started playing Golf there.... but then I was happy enough on their 9-hole honesty box tracks with views across the Pacific. Admiring those views cost me countless balls as, on my own, I hadn't a clue where'd they'd gone. haha...