Best Value For Money Golf Courses

Klimski

Visit site
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: best value course in the WORLD: Kinghorn Golf Club. It's really easy to get a tee time booked for 18 quid, and then you're playing a quirky, challenging short course with a ton of history. Golf was played on these links around 1600!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: best value course in the WORLD: Kinghorn Golf Club. It's really easy to get a tee time booked for 18 quid, and then you're playing a quirky, challenging short course with a ton of history. Golf was played on these links around 1600!
What by? Mountain Goats.

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Silloth
Powfoot
Dumfries & county
Lochmaben
Southerness
Portpatrick dunskey
Stranraer

All under £100 and all top class.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Question for the forum: what is good value? What's the cost cut off point? For me, anything over UKP 65 for 18 holes is pretty expensive. I think 50 or under should be enough to play a good round of golf. What say you all?
Broadly agree. For £50 I'd expect a very good course. For £75 I'd expect an exceptional course. £100 I'd be hard-pushed to spend that at anywhere but the very best courses, and the very best courses seem to charge twice that so that's me out. :LOL:

To fall into 'best value' category I'd be thinking £40 or less. Or £50-60 but it's absolutely incredible.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question for the forum: what is good value? What's the cost cut off point? For me, anything over UKP 65 for 18 holes is pretty expensive. I think 50 or under should be enough to play a good round of golf. What say you all?
Top question and possibly depends on where you are in the country. For me, anything under £40 is in the good value category, although it still has to be good. £20 and rubbish is not good value so there are always exceptions of course.

I've paid more, for treat courses, but those were special occasions and whilst they were worth every penny they can not really be classed as value.

All subjective of course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yeah @Voyager EMH , but the air fare takes it over his £50 budget! :)

Took a mate of mine to Saunton last week. As a Member's Guest, he paid £45. Weather perfect, the course was in super shape, a world a away from his own course. He said he enjoyed it but wasn't a fan of paying over £30 for a green fee. On the way back I told him to pick the restaurant, but I wasn't paying more than a fiver for a main course! :ROFLMAO:

Albo

Visit site
It’s a subjective thing, and depends on what you ‘value’.
I love to play a course I’ve seen on TV and where the very best have played, major courses being an example. They are not cheap to play, but I place a value personally on being able to watch opens past and future on those courses having experienced the exact course. I don’t get that at somewhere local that is less illustrious but far less costly.
Are the open rota courses value for money, in a way, yes, however, in many other ways, most certainly not.
That isn’t to say value can’t be found elsewhere, one of my very favourite courses I’ve played was Shiskine on Arran, a stunning quirky little course which from memory was only £30 or something in the last couple of years (only 12 holes mind).
So I guess, my spectrum of what is good value for money is wide.
The course I have played which is the one I would put top of the ones I have played was Muirfield, the enjoyment and memories from that course made the, somewhat eye watering cost, value at least in my book.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A couple of years ago I would have agreed but a lot of totally average/dull courses are now over £50.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Best value for money we've ever had must be Bellingham in deepest darkest Northumberland. We were on our way back from Scotland and had booked a Friday afternoon round there to finish the trip off.

On arrival, I spoke to the lad behind the bar (no Pro shop) and he asked me how much I'd already paid, this was a £10 deposit each, £40 in total. He said that will do. It turned out that the week before they'd had torrential rain and decided to make it preferred lies for a visiting society and reduce their fees, so he reduced ours as well. The course, although somewhat off the beaten track, was very nice and in excellent condition.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Golfnut1957 it's a smashing club, worst 18th hole in golf mind 😄. I play in an open there most years, it is £12 :oops:.

They had torrential rain there a couple of weeks ago, the clubhouse was flooded as were a number of holes (so were parts of the village). It seems to have recovered okay, thankfully.

It definitely qualifies in the best value category 👍

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Golfnut1957 it's a smashing club, worst 18th hole in golf mind 😄. I play in an open there most years, it is £12 :oops:.

They had torrential rain there a couple of weeks ago, the clubhouse was flooded as were a number of holes (so were parts of the village). It seems to have recovered okay, thankfully.

I’m playing there there in an open mid June, ok course with a few good risk and reward holes. Love the par 3 down the hill, I could play that hole all day 👌

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Surely it's the best 18th hole in golf, I've never seen anything like it.

We were sat in the bar before the round and noticed the mesh on the windows and wondered about it. It only took us 4 hours to find out what it was about. I actually hit a great drive tight down the right and was astounded when I discovered what my second shot entailed. Loved it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely it's the best 18th hole in golf, I've never seen anything like it.

We were sat in the bar before the round and noticed the mesh on the windows and wondered about it. It only took us 4 hours to find out what it was about. I actually hit a great drive tight down the right and was astounded when I discovered what my second shot entailed. Loved it.
:eek::eek: noooooooo. When I become El Presidente of the country I'm blowing that hole up. I'm yet to see anyone score a single point on that hole. Horrible way to end a round.

(It's entirely possible that my election will not come through and you can continue to enjoy the hole 😄)