Best Value For Money Golf Courses

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rockcliffe do a good twilight deal — it’s supposed to be an excellent course -not played it but I’d like to :)

Again I’ve heard only good things about Eyemouth too
Rockcliffe is beautifully kept but very, very long...........Long holes, long walks between holes. Play it but don't pay over the top for it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Glen at NB is not worth £75 apart from the views in my opinion.
A great value deal used to be available to play Gullane 2 & 3.

Agreed, enjoyed The Glen but we got it for peanuts a few years ago, played Gullane #2 on the same trip and it’s a much more grown up course with just as spectacular if not better views.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agreed, enjoyed The Glen but we got it for peanuts a few years ago, played Gullane #2 on the same trip and it’s a much more grown up course with just as spectacular if not better views.
Hmm! The view of the Bass Rock from the top of the Glen is the best view in East Lothian for me.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm! The view of the Bass Rock from the top of the Glen is the best view in East Lothian for me.

Each to their own, IIRC Gullane seemed to have a bit more elevation in places and I enjoyed the views more. Saying that the par 4 at The Glen with the drive downhill to the green was stunning.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The Glen at NB is not worth £75 apart from the views in my opinion.
A great value deal used to be available to play Gullane 2 & 3.

You are undoubtably right, but you'll have a job convincing me that any course over a £100 per round is value for money and as for £300 per round. Try explaining to me where I would find the £225 difference between one at £300 and The Glen, which I would happily pay £75 for.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Rockcliffe do a good twilight deal — it’s supposed to be an excellent course -not played it but I’d like to :)

Again I’ve heard only good things about Eyemouth too
Of the courses I mentioned Eyemouth is the odd one out. Iffy start and iffy finish with the spectacular holes in the middle. Still worth it for the price.

Having played it I wouldn't go out of my way to play Rockcliffe again.

Of those mentioned by others, West Linton gets a big thumbs up, one of my favourites. Oakdale is an odd one, I absolutely love it, and so do a few others on here. However, unless I am mistaken banjofred is a member there, and he appears to hate it;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You are undoubtably right, but you'll have a job convincing me that any course over a £100 per round is value for money and as for £300 per round. Try explaining to me where I would find the £225 difference between one at £300 and The Glen, which I would happily pay £75 for.
For me, the difference is that you might never forget the feeling of playing the likes of the Old Course and it will live happily in your memory. Whereas as a pretty average course (at about £100) will blend in with all the others.
I played Dumbarnie the year it opened with rip off food from a portacabin before the clubhouse was built.
Apart from some holes looking spectacular from the tee it was pretty forgettable.

Mandofred

Visit site
Oakdale is an odd one, I absolutely love it, and so do a few others on here. However, unless I am mistaken banjofred is a member there, and he appears to hate it;)
I sure hated it on Monday.....not the courses fault though....I played the worst golf since last Fall.

I've been a member at 3 of the local courses (Knaresborough, Ripon, Oakdale). On a nice day during the summer, I like Oakdale better.....but jeez, I got so fed up with the mud on Monday I wasn't going to play until next week. I'm supposed to play in the morning since another guy was booking an early tee time and wanted company.....so I only made it until Friday. Although...the weather forecast just got worse, so I'll decide in the morning. At least the weather is getting better starting Saturday.....course should be ok by Wed.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure of your age but consider Open Competitions, especially if a Senior. Join Golf Empire as a premium member for £9.98, absolute bargain and Happy Golf.

Now almost all Clubs have their Opens available for 2023. golf Clubs invariably have the same days year in year out. this will allow you to plan ahead.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure of your age but consider Open Competitions, especially if a Senior. Join Golf Empire as a premium member for £9.98, absolute bargain and Happy Golf.

Now almost all Clubs have their Opens available for 2023. golf Clubs invariably have the same days year in year out. this will allow you to plan ahead.

I often look on golf empire for senior opens, what is the advantages of joining as a premium member?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I often look on golf empire for senior opens, what is the advantages of joining as a premium member?
The calendar tool and recently listed I find very good.

With the first if I wanted to see all Individual Open’s on say 1/6/23 they are there immediately, broken down into Scotland , regions and the same for England. The same for 4BBB etc.

Recently listed does what it says. Eg . If a top course Open has just become available to book it saves time searching and in theory you should get first dibs.
I play around 25/30 Opens per annum and find them both invaluable, Happy Golf is free.

Hope this helps

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are so many good courses under £100. Hard to give suggestions without a specific area. West linton is a great shout. Gullane 2 can be played under £100, as can craigielaw. Auchterarder can be found for about 40 and its alongside gleneagles.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The calendar tool and recently listed I find very good.

With the first if I wanted to see all Individual Open’s on say 1/6/23 they are there immediately, broken down into Scotland , regions and the same for England. The same for 4BBB etc.

Recently listed does what it says. Eg . If a top course Open has just become available to book it saves time searching and in theory you should get first dibs.
I play around 25/30 Opens per annum and find them both invaluable, Happy Golf is free.

Hope this helps

Thanks 👍

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds like the east coast is mapped out for you. I’d maybe add slayley (both courses) and Ramside Prince Bishops to that list. The northumberland gets good reviews but my mates thought it was bland.

Dunstanburgh is great, Bamburgh is stunning! Goswick is great too but need to be aware of any restrictions as the GUR the main parts of the fairways up to the open qualifier.

further north, I quite liked peebles on the border. Roxburgh and Coldstream are decent too.

I’m sure there‘s a few of us who love to hear some reviews on where you play

Albo

Visit site
Rockcliffe is beautifully kept but very, very long...........Long holes, long walks between holes. Play it but don't pay over the top for it.
I played it last summer, played the front 9 so so well, missed 2 greens on the front 9 by a combined 2ft. Was one over at the turn having 2 3 putts. Blew up on the 10th with an 8 or a 9.