Extortionate green fees!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Belleisle, Lochgreen, and Darley could match some of the St Andrews courses so 'by far' probably not.

At three times the price non of the locals would play the courses so that's a no no.
They are great courses, I agree but having played them a bit the maintenance isn't at the same level as the St Andrews courses.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Love Darley, played it a few times…only played Lochgreen once. Don’t think I ever played Fullerton, and have never played Belleisle.
Bellesile has had a few alterations lately and is in great condition.
James Braid course, well drained parkland half a mile from the beach
Must be up there with the best value for money courses in the UK

Fullarton is like playing a scaled down Darley. Fun course to play but small greens and bunkers can make an embarrassing score.

3 jabber

Visit site
I think Belleisle, Lochgreen, and Darley could match some of the St Andrews courses so 'by far' probably not.

At three times the price non of the locals would play the courses so that's a no no.
Not even close! Outside of ToC you have New which is top 100 plus Jubilee and Castle are both next 100. None of the Ayrshire courses you mentioned are anywhere near the same level.

Swango1980

Visit site
I suspect high green fees are sometimes not just about supply and demand of guests wanting to play the course. They can also be high to help protect the membership.

No idea about this specific course, but at some courses you probably don't want a good healthy membership paying high annual fees, then allowing guests to play the course for bargain prices. Especially if it attracts loads of guests, and reduces tee slots for members (where supply and demand still factors in).

So, a golf club might try and price as many guests out as they can, to ensure members feel valued and have ample slots, and if a few guests are still eager enough to play, they need to pay for the privilege

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 gems there pal, hope you’re good

All good mate. Hope you are also? I actually thought of you when I was at Carnoustie as I remembered us sat in the window of the bar overlooking the course !

You get to the NW much now with work ?

Reactions: Val

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All good mate. Hope you are also? I actually thought of you when I was at Carnoustie as I remembered us sat in the window of the bar overlooking the course !

You get to the NW much now with work ?
Never in England at all now work wise, all Scotland. Been in 4 jobs since I last played in the NW pre covid 🤣

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never in England at all now work wise, all Scotland. Been in 4 jobs since I last played in the NW pre covid 🤣
Well, if you are ever in the NW or leafy Cheshire pal let me know and I’ll show you round my new home ⛳🏌️‍♀️

Reactions: Val

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I suspect high green fees are sometimes not just about supply and demand of guests wanting to play the course. They can also be high to help protect the membership.

No idea about this specific course, but at some courses you probably don't want a good healthy membership paying high annual fees, then allowing guests to play the course for bargain prices. Especially if it attracts loads of guests, and reduces tee slots for members (where supply and demand still factors in).

So, a golf club might try and price as many guests out as they can, to ensure members feel valued and have ample slots, and if a few guests are still eager enough to play, they need to pay for the privilege
I am sure that is the case for some, a case of we don't really want you here but if you'll pay through the nose we'll let you