Extortionate green fees!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks.

Although Edinburgh council's 6 municipal courses don’t include Muirfield and Gullane. And South Ayrshire doesn’t include Royal Troon etc.

I do understand that the St Andrews courses are a council owned facility that should benefit the local community. I’m all in favour of big discount for locals. I just think the balance has swung too far.
Members of the St Andrews clubs will not have been able to play ToC for many weeks this year due to it hosting so many tournaments.
Private club members at other clubs would never have put up with such closures.

D-S

Visit site
Members of the St Andrews clubs will not have been able to play ToC for many weeks this year due to it hosting so many tournaments.
Aren’t a few of the other Open rota courses private/member clubs? Many prestigious private clubs host several tournaments a year.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
TOC isn't even the best course in St Andrews and they have 6 other courses to choose from :D

As jealous as I am of the residents of St Andrews, I am not sure I could deal with Scottish winters, or the American invasion each Summer :)

sunshine

Visit site
Nowhere near the St Andrews level.
Don't forget they have the Dunhill every autumn.....six weeks after this years Women's Open

There are 6 other courses if TOC is closed. Some of them championship quality courses which people would pay thousands a year in membership in their own right.

Wentworth has the European PGA every year and also used to host the world matchplay annually as well.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Still means the resident”s ticket is possibly the cheapest, best value golf in the UK by far. It would be unbelievable value at three times the price.
I think Belleisle, Lochgreen, and Darley could match some of the St Andrews courses so 'by far' probably not.

At three times the price non of the locals would play the courses so that's a no no.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For balance that is roughly the same cost as access to South Ayrshires eight courses and I would imagine the Edinburgh Council's courses [6?]

I never knew about Edingburgh golf pass so thanks for that.

Had a look and I could get a 3 day pass for £35 and a 7 day pass for £75 to play unlimited golf on the 6 courses.

D-S

Visit site
At three times the price non of the locals would play the courses so that's a no no.
I bet they would, however even if only 40% paid they’d still be up on the deal.
Alternatively they could still steadily keep on whacking up the price significantly above any sort of realistic cost increase until they eventually reached a breaking point - which appears to be the strategy for all those outwith Fife.

Burnsey

Visit site
I’m on a corporate day next month and was shocked at over £300 per player, per round.

Just seems an awful lot of money, but maybe I don’t play enough posh courses?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
😂. I’ve never played any of the 6.
Must admit I really like Braids, absolutely cracking views over Edinburgh and a decent course. Long time since I've played most of them but I seem to remember SIlverknowes wasn't bad either with decent views over the Forth and a tough finishing hole into the wind. Fairways got a little shaggy back in the days when I played.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
love these comments, always the same.

Someone makes a comment that something is unaffordable (green fees, membership, joining fees, equipment) half the people then say it's a private business can do what they want and people pay what they can afford. and the other half point out how prices have increased too much

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m on a jaunt upto Angus/Fife and have taken a half set in the hope of nipping out for a couple of quiet rounds. Had my eyes on some Carnoustie courses but when trying my luck for an ‘evening’ tee time they wouldn’t budge on the cost. £300+ for the main course (which I played on a forum trip a few years back) but over £100 for the 2nd course was a also a bit too much. I fancied Panmure but limited visitor times and a large green fee put pay to that.

I wouldn’t mind paying full whack if it wasn’t for the fact I’m nipping out for a few hours in the evening on my own. I therefor opted for Arbroath for £50 (see other thread) and the 2nd course at Monifeth for £55.

Two great courses and I don’t feel like I’ve been ripped off.

2 gems there pal, hope you’re good

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think Belleisle, Lochgreen, and Darley could match some of the St Andrews courses so 'by far' probably not.

Love Darley, played it a few times…only played Lochgreen once. Don’t think I ever played Fullerton, and have never played Belleisle.